The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bruno Ganz is simply stunning in Downfall imo and makes the whole thing rather mesmeric whilst Memories Of Murder quite possibly might be my favourite Bong Joon Ho fillum if I ever get round to grabbing myself a copy so I can refresh it in my memory .... but I haven't yet and so his Mother gets that accolade for the time being.

Seen: 47/74 (Own: 32/74)

As we've already gone to the subs bench for the subs bench I might as well just data-dump the final 26 in one go....

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000)
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000)
20. Oldboy (2003)
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
17. City Of God (2002)
16. In The Mood For Love (2000)
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000)
14. Children Of Men (2006)
13. Amélie (2001)
12. Zodiac (2007)
11. WALL·E (2008)
10. The Departed (2006)
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004)
7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
3. Spirited Away (2001)
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003)
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Where does this faildiction stuff come from? I'm confused on the process lol
Outer space. I've a very nicely shaped piece of tin-foil placed on an upstairs window sill that picks up microwaves from outer space which tell it the order the fillums shouldn't come out in.

Either that or I just make them up. I forget which.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Outer space. I've a very nicely shaped piece of tin-foil placed on an upstairs window sill that picks up microwaves from outer space which tell it the order the fillums shouldn't come out in.

Either that or I just make them up. I forget which.
I guess I was confused why you had unrealistic predictions at the beginning but at the end it could actual be correct.

I guess I was confused why you had unrealistic predictions at the beginning but at the end it could actual be correct.
Well, the lower orders of any countdown are a bit of a crap-shoot really but I do like to try and make it more interesting (as in the chances of scewing up and getting one right) for the upper echelons.

When I say 'I', I do of course mean the beings on Alpha Centauri

I saw Downfall before all the memes ruined that one "Nein, nein, nein!" scene, so I wonder if I'd have a different reaction if I rewatched it now. Either way it's a solid film with some stellar performances, but not one that I voted for.

Memories of Murder is a film I only saw recently, and while I don't love it as much as Parasite or Mother, it still placed fairly high on my list at #12. I was starting to suspect it wasn't going to show up on the Countdown, so I'm glad that it did.

Seen: 45/74

My List:
05. The Lives of Others (2006) - #41
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
12. Memories of Murder (2003) - #27
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
17. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #30
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25.Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Downfall is my #7. While the Battle of Berlin rages outside and the German Army and people are being slaughtered by the Russians, Hitler (Bruno Ganz) and his women, children and close advisors stay "safe" in the bunker while Der Fuhrer plots to maintain some viable position as a world leader. Downfall is fascinating on several levels. As a straight-up war movie, it delivers action, suspense and history in equal measure. As a look at Hitler's dementia and thought processes, it goes into more depth than probably any other film. It also hits home at the depiction of Hitler as a kind of "family man" and some of the hardest-hitting scenes involve what happens to the children in the bunker. Watching these scenes, I couldn't help but think of the various cults down through the years which ended in tragedy. Bruno Ganz fully personifies Hitler; his performance seems more to resemble a possession than simple acting.

I believe this, but I'll go ahead and watch this again real soon. Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder is basically a police procedural, but it comes across as a Hardy Boys/Korean version of a police procedural. The whole thing seems so ridiculous as the implication is that Korea is a backwards country with little technology and a bunch of incompetent, immature, violent cops who live their professional lives based on how American cops beat the crap out of everybody in 1940s movies. Anyway, at 130 minutes, it seems extremely long but I can accept it as mostly OK. The fact that the ending is a bit open-ended is good, and I have warmed to it a little over the years. The part which makes no sense to me is that this is listed as a BFI film noir, and that's why I first watched it, but if this is film noir, I'm an even bigger idiot than you may have ever thought.

My List

1. The Incredibles
7. Downfall
8. Up
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Everything Will Be OK
19. The Pianist
21. Pride & Prejudice

never gotten around the Memories of Murder, probably since i've never been impressed with a Bong Joon-ho film before. i think i've technically seen Downfall when it came out. i at least remember the Hitler performace but can't recall anything else

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Memories of Murder was my #10. Maybe a little high considering that I've only seen it twice versus putting similarly-rated and much more rewatched films lower on the list, but such was the impact between those two viewings. A grim procedural where scenes of borderline-slapstick violence do not seem to jar with its over-arching narrative involving the hunt for a serial killer, it manages to be so much more and is probably my favourite of Bong's work (even if I have seen Parasite more often). Meanwhile, I have only seen Downfall once. I do remember liking it, though.

BINGO! Finally another from my ballot. I had Downfall as my #10
I've seen it twice and it's a haunting movie based on an eye witness account from a young woman who was a sectary to Hitler and was in his Fuhrer Bunker at the very end. Hard to believe what the Goebbels do to their small children. Really a film people should see and it's well made too.

Bong Joon-Ho's reputation continues to increase here at MoFo. He had no movies make the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List but with Memories of Murder joining Mother he now has a pair here. Memories of Murder was #58 on the MoFo Foreign Films List. Downfall was #16 on that list and #43 on the Millennium list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Downfall was my #11. A very powerful movie.

I somehow thought Memories of Murder had already shown up, but I think it was just that it got mentioned when Mother appeared. I think there will be a couple of 'locks' still to miss out.

Der Untergang was on my list, my tewenty-first pick, good for five points. Forget the video meme, the great Bruno Ganz's masterwork is reason enough to see the film though it certainly excels on every level. Hirschbiegel's back-to-back successes with Das Experiment and Downfall seemed poised to see him have a high-level career. He hasn't yet lived up to that promising start but it is good to see how well regarded Downfall is here.

That makes a dozen of mine. Seven of my remaining choices will most assuredly show, another three that I am darn sure will not make it at this point, and the last three on the bubble...though if they aren't revealed in the next few days they ain't coming.

HOLDEN’S BALLOT
1. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#86)
2. Dancer in the Dark (#49)
9. The Lives of Others (#41)
10. The Pianist (#31)
14. Synecdoche, New York (#46)
15. Moon (#48)
16. Fantastic Mr. Fox (#70)
17. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (#92)
18. A Serious Man (#66)
19. Adaptation. (#43)
20. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (#51)
21. Downfall (#28)

The part which makes no sense to me is that [Memories of Murder] is listed as a BFI film noir, and that's why I first watched it, but if this is film noir, I'm an even bigger idiot than you may have ever thought.
Which is my issue with trying to do a site-wide Film Noir list. The definition is not strict enough and these days every other thriller gets dubbed Noir, usually incorrectly. I belong to two different Film Noir pages on Facebook and 90% of the time is just spent arguing over what is and isn't part of the genre. We could combat that by making our ballots more generally be "crime films", but then that is too broad and actual classics of Film Noir will be passed over in favor of titles from the past thirty or forty years that are much more familiar to younger and more casual fans.

Anywho...

Which is my issue with trying to do a site-wide Film Noir list. The definition is not strict enough and these days every other thriller gets dubbed Noir. I belong to two different Film Noir pages on Facebook and 90% of the time is just spent arguing over what is and isn't part of the genre. You could combat that by making our ballots more generally be "crime films", but then that is too broad and actual classics of Film Noir will be passed over in favor of titles from the past thirty or forty years that are much more familiar to younger and more casual fans.

Anywho...

Well it illustrates the point as to why we need to do a thriller list especially when the horror one cut the thrillers out.

I think Noir and the Neo-Noir are pretty well established and very popular genres that are worth the project.