The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The trick is not minding
In all fairness, there’s alto of movies for me to watch yet, and odds are I’ll eventually get to the bulk of them.
Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead have been on my watch list for well over a decade.

Like so many other movies.

*sigh*

YAY!

Hot Fuzz was my #1, and it wasn't a hard decision at all. It brings me so much joy. I watch it when I'm happy, I watch it when I'm sad. The editing. The use of visual language. The part where the underage drinker laughs and the glare off of his braces temporarily blinds Pegg's character. I love every flippin' minute of it. Plus the cast is just aces.

Hopefully Shaun of the Dead makes the list if not there's something wrong here lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Lost in Translation is very good. Peak Sofia Coppola. All down downhill from here. The Pianist is an excellent film. Amazing performances in both movies. No surprise these two made it this high in the countdown.

Let the Right One In is okay but really it's not my style. Very happy that Hot Fuzz made it, and this high too. I voted for the other ice cream movie but definitely appreciate this one almost as much.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
  1. Darn well better make it
  2. Surely, yes?
  3. Likely
  4. Doubtful
  5. Never
  6. Likely
  7. Michael Clayton (2007)
  8. Let the Right One In (2008)
  9. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
  10. Likely
  11. Likely
  12. Doubtful
  13. Maybe
  14. Very likely
  15. Likely
  16. Collateral (2004)
  17. Probably
  18. Moon (2009)
  19. Not likely
  20. Not likely
  21. Catch Me If You Can (2002)
  22. Deserves, but doubtful
  23. Not likely
  24. Not likely
  25. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002)

The Watchmen should have been on my list and this was the one I nearly dropped out of the thread over. It should have been well within my top 10 for this decade. It has flaws, but I can never tire of Rorschach's story. Alas, it's been too long since my last viewing and it slipped from memory as part of the decade.

I was surprised to find that I must have bumped Mystic River from my list, but I do remember struggling with my 16-19 spots. Mystic River and Almost Famous kept bouncing around the list until both eventually eased a bit too far down. I recently had another go with Mystic River and thoroughly loved it. I thought the pacing, handful of character arcs, and tone were brilliant. More so that it came from Eastwood, whom I'm just not much of a fan of.

With Almost Famous, I did not bother with a view as I felt confident in my opinion of it. That was a mistake, as once the list started to go public with reveals, I decided to pay it a visit. I wish I had sooner. It might have landed around my 14 spot had I done so. It really is a charming movie and the entire cast is excellent, as long as you can look past a bit of overacting from Kate Hudson and Anna Paquin. I noted in a reply earlier, than Fairuza Balk did a nice job at being the "normal" one of the group, grounding them well. When I first watched this, I had no idea who Billy Crudup was. DOCTOR MANHATTAN!!!! (*cries twice*) Great work, both parts. I was even able to tolerate Jimmy Fallon, much like my experience with Pete Davidson in Suicide Squad 2 *cough*.

In Bruges was a contender, but it just couldn't keep up with several off scenes like the cocaine-hopping, racist dwarf conversation. It is still an enjoyable watch.

Quills was one that I wanted to be in my submission. Sadly, I haven't seen it nearly enough to justify staking its spot on memory. Also, I'm so glad that I do not have to clean that wall of edits! Too, I was already having to sacrifice several movies just to make the 25 cap. For example, Catch Me If You Can beat out a small group of similarly styled movies to earn some form of consolidated representation status of them all. The cut crew deserve to be in the top-100, but they were just not high enough in my interest. I'm satisfied with Catch Me If You Can landing a place here. I'm sure one or two others from my cut will still probably come into play.

Finally, I'm not sure what to think about Hot Fuzz. Great movie, don't get me wrong. Just playing the odds, I figured another movie or two would have trumped this choice. Odd. But this opens a few doors of possibilities for titles I did not at all expect to make this list. So I am curious. Yarp.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Hot Fuzz, what in the heck is that? Never even heard of it, it sounds like an Adam Sandler movie.
It's a lot of laughs. Simon Pegg is a funny guy. I think that you'd like it. A great film? No.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
26 Locks

Fellowship
Eternal Sunshine
Dark Knight
Mulholland
There Will Be Blood
City of God
Inglorious Basterds
No Country for Old Men
Amelie
Children of Men
Departed
Return of the King
Donnie Darko
Zodiac
Memento
Pans Labyrinth
Wall E
Two Towers
Spirited Away
Downfall
Oldboy
Ratatouille
Fountain
Kill Bill 1
Requiem
Shaun of the Dead

The real question is what the hell those last 3 are....if you go by Millennium list, it could be Talk to Her, A History of Violence and Wonder Boys. But I wouldn't call those locks. Maybe Shawn of the Dead will be a lock now that Hot Fuzz is here.

Trivia

Hot Fuzz

Did you know that...
  • Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright were given free rein to do whatever they wanted on this film due to the success of Shaun of the Dead?
  • Nick Frost allegedly agreed to be on the film, only if he could name his character? He chose Danny Butterman.
  • the film was shot in Edgar Wright's hometown of Wells, Somerset, in England?
  • while filming scenes in uniform, Pegg and Frost were often mistaken for real police officers and asked for directions by people on the street?

Trivia

Let the Right One In

Did you know that...
  • although Lina Leandersson plays Eli, her voice was dubbed by actress Elif Ceylan? This was because Leandersson's voice was considered too high-pitched, and the writers wanted the character to be more androgynous.
  • the word "vampire" is only used once in the film?
  • despite being asked by Oskar, Eli never reveals her true age?

Let The Right One In is solid stuff, definitely enjoyed it when I watched, never considered for my ballot.

Haven't seen Hot Fuzz and surprised to see it so high, definitely looks like one I'd enjoy though

26 Locks

Fellowship
Eternal Sunshine
Dark Knight
Mulholland
There Will Be Blood
City of God
Inglorious Basterds
No Country for Old Men
Amelie
Children of Men
Departed
Return of the King
Donnie Darko
Zodiac
Memento
Pans Labyrinth
Wall E
Two Towers
Spirited Away
Downfall
Oldboy
Ratatouille
Fountain
Kill Bill 1
Requiem
Shaun of the Dead

The real question is what the hell those last 3 are....if you go by Millennium list, it could be Talk to Her, A History of Violence and Wonder Boys. But I wouldn't call those locks. Maybe Shawn of the Dead will be a lock now that Hot Fuzz is here.