The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Typical movie criticisms: not enough plot.
this can only be a good thing. maybe i do need to watch gladiator.
Yeah, at this point in my life, I almost don't even want a plot anymore. Just throw a bunch wild sh*t at my eyeballs

@Yoda, is there a way to confirm if raul hacked the MoFo server?

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Sideways is #8 on my ballot. I'm very satisfied it is ranked relatively high here. Alexander Payne is a superb filmmaker of the new century new wave. Paul Giamatti's character is absolute achievement in the art of cinema. I saw it firstly back then renting the DVD and later I've obtained the DVD for my collection and have seen it numerous times. I'm always ready to see Giamatti in this movie. Just Outstanding!

-----

• I saw Gladiator in the theater when it came out. Seen it unintentionally couple more times through the years on the TV channels. It is often broadcasted here. Entertaining film which I never consider for my ballot. To be brutally honest, Russell Crowe's acting is the weak side of this movie.

It was ranked #4 in MoFo 2000 Film Chart.

Top 100 seen 32/62.
--
My list:
4. Snatch [#71.]
8. Sideways [#39.]
9. Amores perros [#81.]
10. The Wrestler [#54.]
14. The Man Who Wasn't There [#84.]

--
(seen one pointers 3/38 • seen 101-110: 5/10)

Not on my ballot Top 100 movies I'd support:  

Yeah, at this point in my life, I almost don't even want a plot anymore. Just throw a bunch wild sh*t at my eyeballs
yeah like, peace and love but film is lowkey an awful medium for storytelling.

Trivia

Gladiator

Did you know that...
  • some of the inspirations for the film came from the Historia Augusta collection of biographies and the "Pollice Verso" painting?
  • Crowe walked off the set several times because the script was incomplete during filming? He even reworked some of Maximus' dialogue and story.
  • a replica of about one-third of the Colosseum was built in Malta? It was made mostly from plaster, plywood, and had a 52 feet height, with the rest added digitally.
  • after Oliver Reed died, post-production company The Mill spent $3.2 million for two minutes of additional footage by creating a digital body double with a 3D CGI mask of the late actor?

Trivia

Sideways

Did you know that...
  • Paul Giamatti has said that he faked every bit of wine knowledge he shares?
  • the film had an impact in the wine industry, increasing tourism to the Santa Ynez Valley region? Also, there was increase and decrease in the respective sales of pinot noir and merlot, which can be attributed to several quotes from Paul Giamatti's character ("if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any ****ing Merlot!")
  • George Clooney fought for the role of Jack, but Alexander Payne thought he was too big a star? However, he cast him in The Descendants later.
  • Rex Pickett, author of the novel, launched his own pinot noir named Sideways?

Not really much to say about these two. I assumed they would make the list but I didn't think they would (or should) be this high. I remember seeing Gladiator in theatres and it was a lot of fun. Maybe I'll also just add my favourite Alexander Payne film is Election...by a landslide. Wrong decade, though.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Let the night air cool you off
I don't feel that strongly about it, but I'd say that the medium shines the brightest when storytelling is pretty far down the list of the filmmaker's priorities.

Personally, while I also lean mostly towards non narrative based films, I think that movies are actually a perfect host for storytelling. Which is why it has latched onto it like a parasite for the last century.

Personally, while I also lean mostly towards non narrative based films, I think that movies are actually a perfect host for storytelling. Which is why it has latched onto it like a parasite for the last century.
Perfect host for storytelling is comic books and soap operas imo