The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

*sigh*
#102-110 killed no less than two upcoming faildictions
Getting seriously close to having to put a caterwauling Brosnan in as a replacement.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Everything Will Be OK is my #11.

My List

10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Everything Will Be OK
21. Pride & Prejudice

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
101. Still Walking (65 points)
102. Little Miss Sunshine (64 points)
103. Once (64 points)
104. Chicago (63 points)
105. A Beautiful Mind (63 points)
I've seen three of these:

104. Chicago - not so bad but faded away in my mind

I'm sorry but for:
102. Little Miss Sunshine
105. A Beautiful Mind

The truth is in here
Funny I should mention Brokeback Mountain and then it suddenly comes up as the next movie in the countdown.

Fernando's review is ludicrous. Does every movie have to break new ground in order to get to your heart? Many romantic comedies/dramas from the 40's and 50's starring straight couples contain similar elements, that doesn't make them any less classic.
If he looked past that lense he would see this is a really well-written story with one of the most realistic and electric couples you'll ever see. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal do such amazing jobs I consider this to be some of their career-best performances. Ennis and Jack's love for each other feels so real, yet you also understand the complications that are keeping them apart. This would inevitably ruin the lives and family dynamics they've built up. It's a hurdle not only for themselves, but the people around them. For a while sneaking off to the desolate Brokeback Mountain works just fine, but eventually brief moments of passion is not enough. Jack in particular gets really fed up with having to hide who he is and who he loves. He's ready to give up everything just for him, but Ennis doesn't feel the same way. For him it's too much of a gamble leaving everything behind, so he would rather continue on living a lie. It's heartbreaking and frustrating at the same time. Maybe there was hope for them, maybe not. But at least they'll always have those pleasant days together as an eternal memory.

Still not on my list.

Adding to @mrblond's stats on notable actor recurrences... (Wes Anderson is responsible for a good bunch of these)
  • Brad Pitt (#51*, #68, #71)
  • Christian Bale (#60*, #79*, #99)
  • Willem Dafoe (#70, #79, #98)
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman (#73, #90)
  • Frances McDormand (#84, #90)
  • Robert Downey Jr. (#76*, #83*)
  • George Clooney (#70*, #68*)
  • Tom Hanks (#69*, #72*)
  • Paul Bettany (#83, #100)
  • Colin Farrell (#56*, #99*)
  • Cillian Murphy (#60, #88*)
  • Gael García Bernal (#69, #81*)
  • Casey Affleck (#51*, #68)
  • Geoffrey Rush (#63, #67*)
  • Samuel L. Jackson (#62, #83)
  • Keira Knightley (#63, #93*)
  • Bill Murray (#70, #98*)
  • Owen Wilson (#70, #98)
  • Michael Gambon (#70, #98)

*(means leading part)
Meaning that the Top Babes of the 2000's halfway are:

Awards

Now to the awards received by Brokeback Mountain...

• Academy Award for Best Director (Ang Lee)
  • Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay (Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana)
  • Academy Award for Best Original Score (Gustavo Santaolalla)
  • Golden Globe Award for Best Picture and Best Director (Lee)
  • Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay (McMurtry and Ossana)

Among many, many others.

As for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, it won...

• Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actor (Casey Affleck)
  • Chicago Film Critics Award for Best Cinematography (Roger Deakins)
  • Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Award for Best Cinematography (Deakins)
  • Golden Trailer Award for Best Drama Poster and Best Voice Over
  • International Cinephile Society Award for Best Actor (Affleck) and Cinematography (Deakins)

Meaning that the Top Babes of the 2000's halfway are:

Now that you mention it, it's worth noting how few female-driven/female-led films have been so far. Not necessarily an issue with the countdown, but more of an issue with the industry, perhaps?

We've had...
  • Mother
  • Pride & Prejudice
  • Juno
  • The Descent
  • Paprika
  • Million Dollar Baby (?)
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (?)

More interesting is that, out of those 7, more than half are "foreign" films.

101. Still Walking (65 points)
102. Little Miss Sunshine (64 points)
103. Once (64 points)
104. Chicago (63 points)
As already stated, I haven't seen Still Walking. I blind bought Little Miss Sunshine after reading lots of rave reviews, watched it once, didn't like it, and never watched it again. I have not seen and have no interest in watching Once. I like A Beautiful Mind quite a bit, but it was never really a contender for my ballot. Chicago never had any hope of getting my vote despite being one of the rare few live-action musicals that I can tolerate.

106. The Aviator (63 points)
107. Millennium Actress (62 points)
108. Gran Torino (61 points)
109. Michael Clayton (59 points)
110. Everything Will Be OK (59 points)
I like The Aviator well enough but I've never loved it and never considered voting for it. Millennium Actress is very good but it is also my least favorite Satoshi Kon film. I watched Everything Will Be Okay as part of It's Such a Beautiful Day and I enjoyed it.

My general dislike of Clint Eastwood and George Clooney have kept me from watching the other two.

The truth is in here
Well, now my soul has been shattered to pieces. I was worrying more and more that it wouldn't make the list, and turns out I was right.

A Beautiful Mind was my number 1. This is not just the best from the 2000's, but one of my favorite movies ever. I can't think of many biographies which were as emotionally involving and riveting as this one. The story of John Nash is inspiring and truly heartrendering at the same time. As much praise as Crowe gets for Gladiator, I think this contains his best performance. He portrays the tortured mind of John carefully and sensitively, really making you feel terrible for someone who just want to pursue his passion but is constantly having to struggle with these demons. Voices and even his own eyes convincing him of a different reality, where he can't tell apart what's real and what he's just imagining. Jennifer Connelly is also excellent as his wife Alicia. There are so many in her situation who probably wouldn't have been able to handle what she's going through, possibly leaving their partner or resorting to cheating. But the fact that she stays so strong makes her just as inspiring as John, and demonstrates how strong and persistent their love is. The scene where she's forced to take him in to shock therapy is one of the most brutally sad things I have seen and had me in tears. This movie grips you and never lets go. I can't think of a more deserving Best Picture winner.

Sucks it didn't make it on to the 90's at least. But now I got an excuse to pour out my love for this movie.

I had Gran Torino pretty far down at 24, but still would've been nice to see it make it on. In fact I find it very surprising considering its continued popularity that it didn't have a horse in the race.

The Aviator I had at number 15. So many disappointments in a row!

A lot to digest today with all the near misses revealed.

Of the last four, I've seen three. The Wrestler I remember being OK. It didn't personally interest me that much, and Rourke's performance alone wasn't enough to make me love the film. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should probably have been on my ballot, but it wasn't. I did really like it back when it was released and have seen it three or four times. The last rewatch was slightly disappointing, though, and most likely cost it its place on my list. As a side note, Zhang Ziyi is absolutely gorgeous in the film.

I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. Wouldn't be interested if it had a man-female couple, either, and the fact it's about gay men doesn't mysteriously plunge it towards the top of my watchlist. The Ass of JJ (thanks @mark f for the great abbreviation) is a great-looking film I enjoyed quite a bit. I did consider it for my list but eventually dropped it as I've never felt much desire to rewatch it.

Of the near misses, I've only seen two. Little Miss Sunshine was one of the films I originally intended to rewatch for this but, like all the other planned rewatches, it didn't happen. I do remember liking it quite a bit though. The Aviator I watched for an HoF and thought it was pretty decent, too. It was never in contention for me, but I could see it having a chance if the ballot would have been for 50 films.

At the midway point I've seen exactly half of the films: Seen: 25/50

I’m sad now. That Thief stole all my hope…

That Gran Torino did not make it is a shame. I guess it’s only truly great for Eastwood fans, but I really love it. Well, I am a fan, but still… I really thought it was gonna make it. Guess I was all the way off.

I had it at #15 and chose it as my vote for an Eastwood film. I almost voted for Million Dollar Baby but cut it in the end, so I’m glad that at least made it without my help.

To all you haters, I have just one gif for you.

That final line just stops me cold every time. As Ennis looks at the jacket he keeps as a reminder, full of regret and says simply “Jack, I swear.” And when those final guitar cords starts up…..

It’s poignant and devastating all at once.
Yeah, when I saw it in the theater, everyone cried at the end. Everyone. It was devastating and cathartic.

Well, now my soul has been shattered to pieces. I was worrying more and more that it wouldn't make the list, and turns out I was right.

So many disappointments in a row!
A lot to digest today with all the near misses revealed.
I’m sad now. That Thief stole all my hope…

To all you haters, I have just one gif for you.

You know what they say about Band-Aids...

Darn. Once was on my ballot. Really great film.

Still listen to that song from the film, “Falling Slowly”.
It was #17 on mine. Easily on my Top 5 romantic films. The whole soundtrack is great. Listen to it often.

106. The Aviator (63 points)
107. Millennium Actress (62 points)
108. Gran Torino (61 points)
109. Michael Clayton (59 points)
110. Everything Will Be OK (59 points)
I'm totally surprised that The Aviator and Gran Torino couldn't make Top 100.
I would support them if we had a ballot of 50.