The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've loved Catch Me If You Can since I saw it in the theater. It's a really fun movie and was a strong contender for my ballot, but ultimately there were at least 25 other 2000s movies that I love more.

I know I've seen Snatch, but it was a very long time ago and I don't really remember anything about it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I would be surprised if I don't care for Catch Me If You Can. I do look forward to that one.

Snatch doesn't belong on this list.

Didn't vote for Snatch, but I do remember enjoying it quite a bit.

I know Ritchie has lost his cachet over the years, but I really enjoyed Wrath of Man from this year. Gets closer to the meanness of the original Get Carter than I expected. First good use of Scott Eastwood that I've seen as well.

Hmmmm, sounds like at least one of the Faildictions is safe then
I'm guessing one of 'em is Catch Me If You Can
The Two Towers
Snatch
Catch Me if You Can makes sense...

Not sure of the other one...
You can divide the winnings...

I don't know what the next films are going to be, but I have enough faith in Thief to be quite certain that neither one is going to be The Lord of the Rings movie.
You got the assignment

Catch Me If You Can is a ton of fun with two of my favorite actors doing their thing. My #22. I like it more each time I see it.

Haven’t seen Snatch since it was released. I enjoyed it well enough but it definitely needs another look eventually.

Watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night. It’s pretty well what I expected. Good bit of fun that over stays its welcome. Wouldn’t have been close to making my list.

Ok, hint breakdown...

Another interesting tidbit (and sorta hint) for tomorrow's entries is that both films have a word in their title that has (more or less) the same meaning.
Obvious... catch, snatch...

I haven't seen Snatch since it came out, which made it harder for me to come up with a hint, but anyway...

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Knock, knock...
Who's there?
Fed
Fed who?
Fed with this goofy films
(reference to Carl Hanratty's attempt at a joke in CMIYC, and obviously the fact that they are feds. Finally a friendly jab at our friend Raul)

Someone said
"You shall not pass!"
But I worked hard
And I did pass
(a bit of misdirection, but nothing to do with LOTR, but rather to DiCaprio's character passing the bar exam)

I fought, I cried (a bit of a reference to Pitt's boxer in Snatch, and Leo crying in CMIYC)
I flew, I stole, I ran (Leo flies and runs, he and the Snatch characters steal)
Money, diamonds (there's a diamond theft in Snatch)
Cash right from the pan (reference to money laundering)

Afraid of the gangster (reference to the bad gangsters in Snatch)
Afraid of the suit (reference to the feds again)
Afraid of the countdown (reference to the boxing match...)
They're forcing me to (...they're asking Pitt's boxer to throw)

Ain't putting nothing
Back on that shelf (reference to Leo refusing to surrender)
And if you knock
You can go f*ck yourself (bookend reference to Hanratty's joke attempt)
There you go. If you didn't like the hint, you can go f*ck yourself.

Anyway, like I said above, I haven't seen Snatch in a very, very long time, and although I remember enjoying it, I barely remember anything about it, so I never considered it.

As for Catch Me If You Can, it is a very well made film and a lot of fun. I had it on my shortlist, but it didn't make it on my list.

So, this is where I'm at...

Seen: 18/30

My ballot:  

I first saw Catch Me If You Can when I was 15. I was always intrigued by how it was a true story, and the way it was written and directed influenced my story written just when I was getting serious about writing.

A system of cells interlinked
Catch Me if You Can was one of the films I watched again leading up to the countdown, but it didn't end up making my list. That said, it holds up well and is a fine film, deserving of its place on the list.

The truth is in here
Snatch is the second movie from my list. I've been a fan of Guy Ritchie since Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, and Snatch is another excellent film from him. The trademark witty dark humor, snappy editing and cast of characters are better than ever. Besides Brad Pitt in one of his strangest and funniest roles, it also features the delightful Alan Ford. He has so much fun playing an absolute maniac of a villain that you can practically feel him salivating at the mouth. I really wish he'd get big roles like this more often.

Commenting on Punch-Drunk-Love now since I forgot to before. I'm surprised this movie isn't getting that much love in this thread. It's the first one from Paul Thomas Anderson I saw, and features some of Adam Sandler's best acting. He still gets to be funny, but brings a kind of sincerity as well that makes him really likable. You feel genuinely bad for the rough hand Barry is dealt in life, and his relationship with Lena is one of the sweetest I've ever seen. How about that, a romantic comedy that doesn't contain a sudden mid-act conflict? Instead it becomes a consistent shining beam in his life that he can look forward to whenever things seem to be at their bleakest.
Philip Seymour Hoffman and Luis Guzmán are also terrific as always.

Well, nailed my #24 & #25, so gives the list a sturdy base for all those films that will show up further up the list. The last batch of ten films have been the weakest so far IMHO.

Yet, enjoying the countdown immensely.

My Ballot:  

Have seen so far: 14
Put on list for future viewing: 6
My list that ended up on the cutting room floor (dammit!): 2
Put on "meh" list : 7
1 Ptrs: seen 8

Jaysus, the Faildictions certainly dodged a bullet with this set 😅

I've very likely seen Catch Me If You Can but aside from the basic premise I remember sweet Frances Adams about it so it'll count as if I haven't. Snatch is a fun enough offering with a memorable turn from Brad Pitt but again it's been years since and it was never in with a shot at placing on my ballot.

Seen: 19/30 (Own: 14/30)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
70. Training Day (2001)
69. Donnie Darko (2001)

Catch Me if You Can is fun. I always forget that Spielberg directed it or that it even exists sometimes.

I’ve only seen Snatch once and all I remember from it was Brad Pitt’s performance.

Cathcing up from the weekend:

I haven't seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang! I thought I had, but nope. So I'll probably give a shot at some point, though I'm not sure it'll be my thing. I like The Devil's Backbone, but not as much as I thought I might. Monsters Inc. was the closest of these to making my list, but I ended up keeping only one Pixar. PT Anderson can be very up and down for me, and Punch-Drunk Love was a down for me. Not terrible, just ... eh. Same for Catch Me If You Can, to be honest. Spielberg is always a great technical director, but I'm just not interested in this story (it's just too ridiculous on every level for me). I did like Snatch pretty well, but it was not a contender for my ballot.

A system of cells interlinked
Meanwhile, someday I will watch Punch Drunk Love... PTA tends to rub me the wrong way, with only one or two films I like out of the ones that I have seen to date.

Haven't seen either film. I've heard of both of them, but I haven't felt much of an interest in watching them anytime soon.

Yahoo! Finally another film from my list makes the countdown...

Catch Me If You Can
was my number 7. Such an amazing true story and for once Spielberg doesn't muck it up with over sentimentality and no cute talking fuzzy bears. Yes, Spielberg does know how to make a great movie!