Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Heard a lot of great stuff about this. Watching it tonight :

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Movie of the night - Stephen Spielberg's remake of West Side Story - An excellent production, an unknown but terrific cast of performers, with all of the energetic dance routines you might recall from the old one. I haven't seen a version of this for a long time, but I think it covers most of what I recall in this musical equivalent of Romeo and Juliet, set on the Upper West Side in NYC, composed by Leonard Bernstein.

Aside from the performances, I was amazed at how they recreated the 1958 setting. It did NOT have an stylized theatrical backdrop, but a detailed setting that seemed to show every detail of the setting, ads, signs, elevated trains, cars parked on the street and even food signs in neighborhood delis. Whoever did the digital animation on this got every detail. The setting (W 86th Street) is completely gentrified and high rise today, but the real shots were done in some part of across the river New Jersey that is convincingly 1957.

I'm definitely NOT a fan of musicals, and this one was pretty long, but if you are a musical fan, don't miss it.

Wasn't mad on Velvet Goldmine but it wasn't terrible imo.

Wasn't mad on Velvet Goldmine but it wasn't terrible imo.
Well, it’s not terrible, but it is rather lame, and not at all sexy imo. Young RM rather enticing, but Bale the worst kind of youthful chubby. Overall weird, no idea what this was trying to do.

Nine Lives. One of my favorite Norwegian films. About the escape of an Norwegian resistance fighter, from nazi soldiers during WW2. And a great winter film also.

Alright, well, it has come to this.

I must be mad & past saving, but it’s actually pretty good. Thank you, @Takoma11!
I think it's a bit of a shame that all of the publicity around the sex being unsimulated was the main thing people talked about with the film.

While I don't think it's always the best acted and a few of the narratives don't quite complete their arcs, I do think that it's an interesting look at the connection between mental health, romance, identity, self-confidence, alienation from one's body, and sex.

The director's commentary (with Mitchell and the lead actress) was very interesting.

wanabe movie critique
The Last Samurai

One of my all-time favourite!