Are these female lead remakes are getting out of hand now?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Yea...my wife is this bizarre trad-girl metal head that gets into arguments with feminists all the time... most of them are her good friends, so lately, they just avoid the subject for the most part. I tend to stay out of those talks.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
You bring up an interesting point about remaking mainly female dominated movies into only male roles, like Pitch Perfect. Like a remake of Clueless, but with dudes. I think the only way a movie like that would even make its money back would be by making it into a spoof of the original, like Naked Gun or Scary Movie.

I think you are right, these subsequent re-imaginations with women are not going to sell or be as popular as their original counterparts. Nowadays, instead of making a story just naturally have women, it's like they are going overboard with continually shoving women into what were normally male dominated roles to get it into the audience's subconscious mind that it's just "normal" that women have these powerful roles. I have no problem with women being in these positions or a full on cast of women, if that is what the story is. What is annoying is the push by movie makers trying to fill some "void" by doing this just for the sake of doing it rather than organically. No clearer example of this is exist, to me, than in The Last Jedi.
Oh okay interesting. Are you saying that The Last Jedi was organic, or was forced, when it came to having a couple of main female characters?

A system of cells interlinked
Oh okay interesting. Are you saying that The Last Jedi was organic, or was forced, when it came to having a couple of main female characters?
Question isn't directed at me, but i will take a shot. I think Rey as the main character didn't really feel forced, but characters like Rose and Vice Admiral Bozo definitely did.

The truth is in here
I thought the actor playing Rose was cute, but her character was at times very questionable. As for the Admiral, that was a complete waste of Laura Dern.

Oh okay I didn't mine Rose and Vice. I mean in Star Wars, half the characters are aliens and robots, so I don't know what to expect; so to have a couple of women characters did not seem weird to me in that universe

The truth is in here
I don't mind the idea, but they need to be well-written. Rey is a very good lead, but Rose was like I said sometimes questionable, the Vice Admiral was pointless, and Captain Phasma was a very useless villain who seems to have been created entirely for toy market sales.

This might just do nobody any good.
"In that universe."

I tend to agree with those who say it's stunt casting. If they manage to do something interesting or distinctive with the new take, it may be worth it. I haven't seen the new Ghostbusters or Overboard (which offered a switch in the roles played by the male and female leads), so I can't say if they were worth it. Anyone else seen those or the black or female versions of The Odd Couple in television and theater and care to comment?

As for Doctor Who, I think it's reasonable that he could become a female or person of another race. But I think there's something distinctively British about the character, even though he's not actually supposed to be British, and that shouldn't change.I feel the same way about James Bond and Sherlock Holmes.

Haha, "forced."

Question isn't directed at me, but i will take a shot. I think Rey as the main character didn't really feel forced, but characters like Rose and Vice Admiral Bozo definitely did.

Definitely Admiral Bozo was forced.

BTW, we all know Sean Connery was the best Bond.

He was but roger Moore was the funnest. You know it.

Yeah, he was ok, I like how he parodied himself in Cannonball Run (1981).

Welcome to the human race...
You bring up an interesting point about remaking mainly female dominated movies into only male roles, like Pitch Perfect. Like a remake of Clueless, but with dudes. I think the only way a movie like that would even make its money back would be by making it into a spoof of the original, like Naked Gun or Scary Movie.
I think that might be because male is so frequently treated as the "default" gender that you can easily swap in women to play the characters and it won't be too different, but female-centric narratives tend to emphasise gendered specifics to the point where you can't just straight-up rehash them with men. Maybe that's why nobody tries to do all-male remakes of female movies - because that would genuinely lose what makes those movies distinct whereas there are countless movies where the characters' (male) gender is purely incidental.

I think you are right, these subsequent re-imaginations with women are not going to sell or be as popular as their original counterparts. Nowadays, instead of making a story just naturally have women, it's like they are going overboard with continually shoving women into what were normally male dominated roles to get it into the audience's subconscious mind that it's just "normal" that women have these powerful roles. I have no problem with women being in these positions or a full on cast of women, if that is what the story is. What is annoying is the push by movie makers trying to fill some "void" by doing this just for the sake of doing it rather than organically. No clearer example of this is exist, to me, than in The Last Jedi.
But where exactly do you draw the line between a story "naturally having women" and "going overboard"? In one sentence, you think it's "going overboard" to put women in powerful roles in order to make the audience think it's quote-unquote normal (your quotes, not mine), then in the next you say you have no problem with women taking these roles as long as it's done "organically" even though that appears to be a very nebulous standard (and, if you're going to provide examples of how you think it's forced, you should also provide examples of instances where you think it is "organic"). Using Last Jedi as your clearest example of forced diversity is questionable because there are only about half a dozen women of any major prominence in that narrative (which is more than balanced out by the male characters anyway).

Why?

I don't mind the idea, but they need to be well-written. Rey is a very good lead, but Rose was like I said sometimes questionable, the Vice Admiral was pointless, and Captain Phasma was a very useless villain who seems to have been created entirely for toy market sales.
I feel like this could use further elaboration, but I figured they all served their purposes within the narrative - Rose and Holdo are key foils for Finn and Poe respectively while Phasma always struck me as a flat character by design who Finn fights as part of his arc.

Good points. But when it comes to a movie like The Expendables, I don't think you can easily put an ALL FEMALE swap on it. It seems that most Navy Seal types and special ops types are males. Like in the movie Zero Dark Thirty for example, the teams that leads the assault on the suspected terrorist compound are all male for example. It just seems rare to have as many women in a group like you would in The Expendables. Some women in the group, perhaps, but not all.

Where as other movies you could do a gender swap no problem in a remake. Like if you were for example to remake Basic Instinct, you could swap the genders, and have a homme fatale seduce a female detective, and that would work fine and naturally, as an example.

BTW....the Thesis statement of this post was wrong.

Oceans 8 did not break even...it had a 70 million dollar budget, 40 million opening and 140 million dollar domestic run. So the film had a three time multiplier...domestically.

It then made double that with the foreign grosses...so it brought home over a quarter of a billion dollars(288 million) on 70 million dollar budget.

Their is about a 95% chance we're going to get Oceans 9 and 10

Overboard cost 12 million opened at 14 million made 50 in the US and 40 overseas so that was also a huge hit.

Oh okay, I read that it only broken even and was considered to be a box office failure on some sight before. Maybe Hollywood expects more from it's movies to become successes.

In fairness, there's no real purpose in having this alien's supposedly random changes of appearance coincidentally make it look like a white man thirteen times in a row.

When The Doctor appeared as a British, white male thirteen times in a row, why in the world would you assume that it was random? The basic facts would show that it was anything but random; that Britishness, male and white was part of who he is.

BTW....the Thesis statement of this post was wrong.

Oceans 8 did not break even...it had a 70 million dollar budget, 40 million opening and 140 million dollar domestic run. So the film had a three time multiplier...domestically.

It then made double that with the foreign grosses...so it brought home over a quarter of a billion dollars(288 million) on 70 million dollar budget.

Their is about a 95% chance we're going to get Oceans 9 and 10

Overboard cost 12 million opened at 14 million made 50 in the US and 40 overseas so that was also a huge hit.

While you are not incorrect in your numbers, you may be forgetting advertising costs and kickbacks (percentages) to both the actors/directors and the movie theaters.

Because of these factors, just because the movie made more in total box office proceeds than it cost to produce does not mean that it made a profit.