Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left

Tools    

At this point I really think you're wasting a lot of people's time. Half the posts are opaque non-sequiturs and your own own evidentiary standards are changing wildly from post to post.

A system of cells interlinked
Was it preceded by another person holding up: "REALLY BAD FONT COMING, GET THOSE GLASSES ON"?

That was my first thought, as well. Terrible font!

That was my first thought, as well. Terrible font!
To be fair, for all we know it might have been deliberate with another person just out of frame left having a sign advertising the local opticians

i think if those stats are right it's actually bad, because they should be getting up (the homicides),
the world population since the 50's almost doubled, or doubled, the planet cannot support it.
more guns, more homicides, more diseases, more wars, more suicides, we need all that
i think you're right all the way, i change the opinion i didn't had. it's final. won't change it anymore.

You're saying fewer murders are bad because of overpopulation? Yikes, dude.

That conclusion is pretty repugnant philosophically, and it's wrong factually, anyway. Google around a little about plummeting birth rates, if you're willing to entertain the idea that the numbers you find aren't made up as part of some non-specific conspiracy.

ufff, for an instance i though you would start comparing what i said with everything i've said before.
yes, yes, yes i feed on conspiracies, i believe them all, the same way i believe on what i've said earlier.
about that search, the point i've made about medical advancements would be viable on both searches
but is funny, they say average life expectancy is decreasing in united states or in the world i don't know
for all the medics out there, trying to save us, because someone believes we should be saved,

you're losing maaaan...

You ready? You look ready.
The optics on that sea of Shell employees is not looking good. And of course it’s already getting twisted by both sides. I don’t even know what to think anymore.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

ufff, for an instance i though you would start comparing what i said with everything i've said before.
I'm not going to give someone grief for honestly changing their mind, because I'm legitimately trying to persuade people, not trying to score points or "win" and spike the football in their face. Promise.

That said, I don't understand why you'd change your mind here, because we're discussing facts and not interpretation, and nothing new has been brought to life. You seem to be saying that you no longer object to the factual claim because you've found a way to be critical of the drop? Which makes it seem like you're starting with the idea that something bad is happening, and you decide which facts to accept or not based on whether you can find a way to use them to argue for that. You shouldn't find a drop in homicides totally implausible one moment, but very likely as soon as you decide it could be bad. That's not how factual claims work, no matter what kind of sources you trust.

yes, yes, yes i feed on conspiracies, i believe them all, the same way i believe on what i've said earlier.
about that search, the point i've made about medical advancements would be viable on both searches
but is funny, they say average life expectancy is decreasing in united states or in the world i don't know
for all the medics out there, trying to save us, because someone believes we should be saved
I don't really understand what point you're trying to make, so I'll simply reiterate that overpopulation concerns are pretty wildly at odds with birth rates, which consistently drop once a society reaches a certain level of affluence. It turns out it doesn't take long at all for overpopulation trends to reverse; births are below replacement-level in basically all first-world countries at this point.

I'm not going to give someone grief for honestly changing their mind, because I'm legitimately trying to persuade people, not trying to score points or "win" and spike the football in their face. Promise.
i think you're right all the way, i change the opinion i didn't had. it's final. won't change it anymore.
i was being ironic man. all i'm trying to do here is... i'm not sure!
i have an opinion, than change it, than change it again.
new shiet might come to your light... that's the point of me here,
to do not believe in any thing but you keep believing i do

you people treat opinions like religions man...
ok, ok for argument sake let's all agree that those stats are right,
i don't believe them, even if they were the exact opposite i'd not believe them,
until i do believe them, and that moment is right now:
let's all assume they're the "facts". what than? what's seems to be the problem?
mass shootings? they selling drugs for depression like chewing gun?
let's ban guns? let's ban chewing gun? why the hell that's mostly in america?
or is it not? it means we are saner?... or that we don't get the tools that easily?
it's all open to suggestion people...

to do not believe in any thing but you keep believing i do
Because your behavior does not match your rhetoric. You keep stating things with confidence, or dismiss things with sarcasm, and only when challenged do you tell me there's no such thing as truth and you don't really believe in anything. I can show you a dozen quotes that demonstrate this.

If you actually want to believe in nothing, I think that's difficult to justify, but I have no interest in arguing with a relativist. The problem is that the relativism only seems to appear when someone starts asking questions. If you really didn't believe in anything, there'd be no reason to participate in these discussions or to make the kinds of proclamations you keep making.

you people treat opinions like religions man...
No, I don't. Do not confuse my disagreement with you, specifically, for a certainty in all my own beliefs. The thing I'm condemning is the thought process (or lack thereof) and inconsistency of these positions. I'm certain that they don't make sense. That doesn't mean (or even imply, really) that whatever I'm thinking must definitely be right. It's not either-or. I can think a specific idea is completely wrong without thinking my idea of it is completely right.

let's all assume they're the "facts". what than? what's seems to be the problem?
mass shootings? they selling drugs for depression like chewing gun?
let's ban guns? let's ban chewing gun? why the hell that's mostly in america?
or is it not? it means we are saner?... or that we don't get the tools that easily?
it's all open to suggestion people...
Oh, there's definitely a problem with American culture and guns. As I told PW earlier, my hammering on this number should not be taken as an endorsement of gun culture or a suggestion that we don't have a gun problem. We do. It's just a lot more complicated and nuanced than people seem to understand, as evidenced by the fact that people are shocked to hear the gun homicide rate has dropped, so much so that they immediately reject the idea, almost out of hand.

I'mma back out of this debate, Chris. I see this going nowhere. You're still on the homicides after I told you i think that number doesn't matter because i think shootings are way up. The link posted by you confirms that. Confirms it so much so they didn't want to publish it. Now we're going in circles with our points.

maybe, just maybe one day you'll realize all this debating doesn't worth for fu** nothing.
it's everywhere nowadays, every tv channel, every single place, everyone knows everything,
i don't know anything, and when it seems i know is to make people that do know think twice
i'm out, should be out long time ago. you people have too many certainties. always one up, right?

'the problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.' — charles bukowski

keep on believing everyone have strong opinions when they don't go together with your "facts" & "truths"

I'mma back out of this debate, Chris. I see this going nowhere. You're still on the homicides after I told you i think that number doesn't matter because i think shootings are way up. The link posted by you confirms that. Confirms it so much so they didn't want to publish it. Now we're going in circles with our points.
I mean, we have definitely gone in circles, but mostly because I keep asking "is this what you're saying?" and the post above is literally the first time you've even sort of confirmed it. I keep posting the simplest, most relevant questions I can think of, in the simplest terms I can, in the best faith I can, and they still get ignored. I even said "are you not concerned about the homicides because you think this about the shootings?" And yet still you reply now with "you're still on the homicides." I don't get it.

If you decide you do wanna talk about this since we're kinda on the same page now, I'd start by pointing out that the link I posted most definitely does not "confirm" that shootings are "way up" (I'm guessing that comes from looking at that first chart and noting the uptick at the end?), but I suppose there's not much point in me elaborating if you're bowing out. Let alone progressing to ask why that belief would make a massive drop in homicides so apparently unimportant.

If you are bowing out, I'm not gonna hound you about it, but I would leave you with this: please think about how surprised you were (I presume) to hear that homicides had dropped as much as they had. And think about why that would be so surprising, what factors would contribute to giving someone the opposite impression, and what it would say about media coverage if it could talk about this issue so much without conveying those facts. Sure seems like there's a huge disconnect here that extends beyond guns, specifically, and threatens our collective ability to talk productively about anything.

maybe, just maybe one day you'll realize all this debating doesn't worth for fu** nothing.
Dude, I literally just said this to you in the previous post:
If you really didn't believe in anything, there'd be no reason to participate in these discussions or to make the kinds of proclamations you keep making.
I've said it like half a dozen other times, too. If you think it's worth noting, stop engaging in it.

i don't know anything, and when it seems i know is to make people that do know think twice
i'm out, should be out long time ago. you people have too many certainties. always one up, right?
The problem is that you don't provide adequate reasons for your questioning; you just throw out broad, non-specific skepticism that you seem to apply arbitrarily. And the idea that I've been expressing much of anything with certainty is just fiction. Again, don't confuse my disagreement with your responses for certainty with my own position. "This is wrong" does not imply that whatever I believe is definitely right. This is a pretty simple distinction, and easy enough to grasp, if you're making a good faith attempt to understand.

keep on believing everyone have strong opinions when they don't go together with your "facts" & "truths"
Again, I can quote you saying a dozen things without nuance, reflection, or any of the uncertainty you're floating now.

Disputing simple factual claims requires a lot more than drive-by epistemology and scare quotes.

Can't wait to read this thread from the beginning!
Me too. But the war clouds hanging over my country did not give me the mood to read it . Now that they seem to be receding , I might read this thread.

Obviously I can't stand AOC so I loved this video of a citizen giving her the business-

The title says Trump supporter but I didn't hear anything that indicated that.

If I were to look up the word ‘sanctimony’ in the dictionary....

You’re tiring, dude.

you should pay attention to new ideas that come from others. never judge what you believe to be effectively truth. i run from truth with everything i have, because i believe who have truth in his pocket have an inquisition on the other side ready to attack someone; so, i lose every kind of power - above all.

Agostinho da Silva (Porto, 1906 — Lisbon, 1994)

kinda hard to translate. must be one of the persons that most shaped my thinking.
on the other hand i don't give it much importance. i don't have anything interesting to say,
that's the reason i quote other's. people without an original thinking should just shut up,
and if you have an original thinking, you're thinking outside the box, and that's ridicule waiting
even you considering statistics truths-facts, your judgments of them would still be an opinion,
and you can try and try, but your opinion will always be an opinion, doesn't matter the repercussions,
man try label everything, it's just an label, and our being, existence isn't a label, at least i think that
when i'm swimming in a pool of crap (information), i think of a tree, called tjikko, have 9561 years,
imagine, this tree survived every single event we give importance, totally unaware. perfection.