The Predator (another sequel)

Tools    

Alien v Predators may be one of my biggest guilty pleasures. Is it awful? Sure. It takes the Alien franchise which up until that point was considered "high brow" science fiction and brought it down to the Predators level of cheese and camp. But for whatever reason, I think its fun.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
If you look at the original, people still hold in such high regard, but it is not great cinema.
Sir, that is grounds for hate speech and will not be tolerated.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The thing about the original for me is that the Predator is "Dutch", not the Alien hunter. The badass music that plays at the start and end as Dutch is helicoptered in and out of the Jungle. That's your Predator right there. Perhaps why the sequels have all failed.

love the original film ive seen it like 15 times and i would still see it, its so good so atmopheric its just great from all points and aspects.

Going back to what I said about the alien being athletic...

I'm sitting here watching the first film with commentary on. For the scenes when they Pred is invisible, they used a chimp in a red suit for some shots, but the animal became difficult when it realised how embarrassing the suit looked...

And they also used a gymnast in a red suit as well which gave a feel of genuine athletic ability to the creature.

When Kevin Peter Hall was brought it for the non-invisible shots, they had him almost constantly attached to a bungee-rig so he could hop and skip over rocks and trees with ease.

Go back and look at the 2 AvP movies and the 3rd Predator movie... they're just bulky guys in suits miming the role and tons of CGI over the top when something needs a bit of finesse. There's no realistic movement, no athletic ability.

I liked Alien vs. Predator. I haven't seen that since it came out. I need to check it out again.

Watching AvP now.

I just realised something... Predator, Predator 2 and AvP2... the Preds only kill when either threatened or if the opponent is armed.

In the first AvP, they kill wantonly. They're just mindless killers.

I thought Predators killed for sport. Aren't they playing some kind of human hunting game and collecting people as trophies?

Never saw AvP2. I heard it was bad.

"Alien vs. Predator" was actually the first "Predator" movie I saw. And I still haven't seen "Predator 2" or "Predators."

Well, hoping they go back to the "Honour" thing in this new movie...

A Predator comes to Earth, or in the case of Predators (Predator 3), they transport people to that Game Planet... they only kill something if it is armed and can fight back.
They never kill an unarmed opponent as it's "No sport" (Arnie's line).
Like in Pred2, the people on the train are slaughtered. Harrigan's Chief says it "Doesn't make sense" about how many people were killed and Harrigan replies "They were all armed".

In Pred2 as well, the boy in the graveyard has a toy Uzi. The Pred scans it and realises it's a fake gun, and doesn't kill the kid.

AvP2, the Predator only kills people who are armed.

In the first AvP though, the start sequence in the year 1904, the Preds kill unarmed people. And in the year 2004, after the team have gone underground, the Preds then arrive and kill the guys who are still at the surface.
Now, a couple of them put up a fight, but the Preds initially attacked them without provocation. Then, after that last guy falls into the hole, he's lying at the bottom, unarmed and injured... and the Pred just wantonly kills him.

Then, when Alexa (Sanaa Lathan) realises the Preds want their weaponry back, she seeks out the Predator... and immediately upon seeing her the Pred goes to attack her and she has to say "wait!" and reveals to the Predator that she has his laser-gun, only then does the Pred make a temporary alliance with her. She was an unarmed opponent and the Pred was still going to kill her.

The first AvP gets it totally wrong on all fronts.

I seriously hope "The Predator" will return to an honour system.

Sounds sorta like the "Predator" movies have some kind of anti-gun message.

If you own a gun/have one on you, Predator is gonna kill you.

The other thing that AvP gets wrong... with the Preds just going around killing at random... and the movie even says it themselves with the line about the Xenomorph being the ultimate prey and needing Humans to make Xenomorphs... "Without us, there could be no hunt"...

So, if without Humans, there is no hunt... why the hell do the Preds immediately start killing the Humans? They Xenomorphs haven't bred yet.

Haaaa!

"The humanoids brought us here for the serpents to breed. Without us, there could be no hunt."
"This place is a prison, and we took the Guards' guns and the prisoners are running free. They're not hunting us, we have to give the Guards their guns back. We probably won't make it out alive, but if those serpents get to the surface, everything on Earth will die."

Ok...
1. Without you there can be no hunt... so why jave the Preds been killing your group since the very start?
2. You're in the middle of the Antarctic. The cold is enough to kill the Queen. There's no way the smaller ones will be able to escape and kill everything on Earth.
3. If the Predators aren't hunting you, then why the hell have they been chasing you and killing you since the very start? Also, see #1 above again.

Really, I hope the new movie steers well clear and goes back to its roots.

No AVP crap, no alien planets, keep it on earth. Use a passable action star this time (Adrien Brody..? ). Tom Hardy would be good. Don't make it a direct copy of the original, but a similar story with strong characters.

The cold is enough to kill the Queen.
>.>

Well, of course i love The Predator. It really is a classic and I love Arnie and in fact all the cast, Carl, Jesse...

But maybe i watched it one too many times. It wore out on me, just like T2, only that's exponential even to this.

So, believe it or not, my fave is AvP. Maybe because I saw it only once. But not only because of that. it has my all-time fave Alien/Predator scene, when they show their mutual confrontation and tell the story how Predators are superior, but if they're trapped or outnumbered, they make sure no one survives. And then Pred kils himself on the top of that pyramide and detonates the whole * up. It has the most fantasy in it. And I love Antartica. You could say it's the most transcendental one, where as the original has the most action.

I agree that it's not the same and in fact with everything you said, The Rodent though.

it has my all-time fave Alien/Predator scene, when they show their mutual confrontation and tell the story how Predators are superior, but if they're trapped or outnumbered, they make sure no one survives. And then Pred kils himself on the top of that pyramide and detonates the whole * up. It has the most fantasy in it. And I love Antartica.
I like that scene too. You can say they degenerated the Predators in AvP, but I thought that bit easily made up for it.

Also, I thought the idea of a "friendly" Predator was cool.

Also, I'd like to say, I'm truly looking forward to this. In fact, I was enthrilled when I saw the thread for the first time. Because, although they did leave a hint of a sequel in Requiem.. No, wait, Predators is after that, right? Well, even more so, then, because they didn't leave a hint? And I was even afraid that might be the end of it.