Things You Just Found Out/Learned Recently?

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I didn't learn this recently, but it's funny so I'll include it here...
Most of my life I thought the phrase "for all intents and purposes" was "for all intensive purposes" and I would write it that way as that's what I grew up thinking it was.
Now, I've been on-line for almost 2 and a half decades, but I'm pretty sure I was still typing "intensive purposes" in posts as recently as the mid 2000's!
Well, here's another one you may already know but if not you can add it to the things you just found out.
Horses, for most of the existence of the phrase, did not "chomp at the bit". However, a horse may "champ at the bit". Champing is that rolling/griding of the jaw that horses do (especially when someone puts a ****ing bit in their mouth, but also apparently when they are nervous or amped up). Chomping is what people who didn't know that say horses do because "chomping" is slang for chewing. It also has come to be accepted as an alternate to the correct phrase because you can't fight these things forever.
So, next time you are raring to go, just remember, you're really champing at the bit to get that thing going.

(Your story reminded me of this because my mother was an insane stickler for using the correct word or phrase and was constantly sending me to the dictionary or encyclopedia or whatever any time I would use the wrong one.)

My favourite of those are when you can't understand why the person thought it was what they said. For example, while I'm aware of champing at the bit, I can understand why someone would/coud mishear it as "chomping" or, just presume they heard wrong and it was chomping. Whereas something like "A bowl in a china shop" (which I have seen someone say) just doesn't make any sense at all. How could that mean what "A bull in a china shop" means?

I just learned Anne Boleyn apparently owned a china shop. Never knew that before.

I just learned Anne Boleyn apparently owned a china shop. Never knew that before.
Are you sure that wasn't The Other Boleyn Girl?

It also has come to be accepted as an alternate to the correct phrase because you can't fight these things forever.
A very very common mis-saying is “he’s the spitting image of his father”. Everyone says this, but, originally, it was the “spit & image of his father”. Spit being DNA & image obviously being a likeness.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A very very common mis-saying is “he’s the spitting image of his father”. Everyone says this, but, originally, it was the “spit & image of his father”. Spit being DNA & image obviously being a likeness.

It seems like I learn something every day from this thread!

I learned that the odd, green barren rocks up the hill from me were squeezed out of the Earth's upper mantle about 450 million years ago and contain elements not generally found up here. That's why not much grows on that hill and why, 200 years ago, 90% of the world's known supply of chromium came from this hill and several others scattered along the fall line around here. It's called the Baltimore Mafic Complex and it's a suprasubduction zone. You can read all about it in some very dense geology articles. When chromium nearly all came from this area, it was worth more than gold and several fortunes were made digging it up.

Those chromium dyes used by painters would have started out in a rocky hole in the ground next to a bike store up the road from my house.

The phrase is much, much older than any known concept of DNA.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...origin-meaning
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Victim of The Night
Wow. I know a lot of these but I did not know that one.
Cheers.

This is more a realization than something learned...

Upon another viewing of Cool Hand Luke (1967), I realized it has almost the same basic plot as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)!

An outsider arrives at an institution where men are locked up. At first, his manner is viewed with suspicion and he's labeled a troublemaker by both the staff and his fellow inmates, but soon he earns the respect of his fellow internees, and ultimately inspires them to new levels of achievement. The overlords try to break this nonconformist for failing to adhere to protocol and making escape attempts, but are unable to crush his spirit as he continues to inspire his fellow inmates and stoke a rebellious spirit in them. Seeing his charisma as dangerous to the institution, the overlords use extreme measures to finally break him, but his legacy is to still inspire (at least one fellow inmate) to seek the same freedom that his spirit had craved.

Anyone with me on this... or am I way WAY off base?

Upon another viewing of Cool Hand Luke (1967), I realized it has almost the same basic plot as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)!

An outsider arrives at an institution where men are locked up. At first, his manner is viewed with suspicion and he's labeled a troublemaker by both the staff and his fellow inmates, but soon he earns the respect of his fellow internees, and ultimately inspires them to new levels of achievement. The overlords try to break this nonconformist for failing to adhere to protocol and making escape attempts, but are unable to crush his spirit as he continues to inspire his fellow inmates and stoke a rebellious spirit in them. Seeing his charisma as dangerous to the institution, the overlords use extreme measures to finally break him, but his legacy is to still inspire (at least one fellow inmate) to seek the same freedom that his spirit had craved.

Anyone with me on this... or am I way WAY off base?
You're not off base at all. Themes of rebelling against established authority were common for the American New Wave, so naturally, you will see that theme come up a number of times if you watch enough films from that movement.

You're not off base at all. Themes of rebelling against established authority were common for the American New Wave, so naturally, you will see that theme come up a number of times if you watch enough films from that movement.

I agree.. Got any recommendations? I seem to like those kinda movies, and who knows, maybe if I see it quickly enough, and love it quickly enough, it will make my Top 100

I agree.. Got any recommendations? I seem to like those kinda movies, and who knows, maybe if I see it quickly enough, and love it quickly enough, it will make my Top 100
You've likely already seen all the films from the movement I could recommend, but I'm sure that other people who've seen more films from the movement could recommend some obscure films you might not have seen. For instance, I know @StuSmallz is a pretty big fan of the movement.

I never thought of this, but, if you think so …

You've likely already seen all the films from the movement I could recommend, but I'm sure that other people who've seen more films from the movement could recommend some obscure films you might not have seen. For instance, I know @StuSmallz is a pretty big fan of the movement.
Yeah, and if @matt72582 is looking for some New Hollywood recs, I guess I'd go with...

In Cold Blood
Rosemary's Baby
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Five Easy Pieces
The Last Picture Show
Deliverance
Badlands
Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia
Dog Day Afternoon

...and The Outlaw Josey Wales, just for starters.

Yeah, and if @matt72582 is looking for some New Hollywood recs, I guess I'd go with...

In Cold Blood
Rosemary's Baby
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Five Easy Pieces
The Last Picture Show
Deliverance
Badlands
Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia
Dog Day Afternoon

...and The Outlaw Josey Wales, just for starters.

Thanks. I have seen them all. Some of my favorites on there, too - "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" especially, which is on YouTube in full for free for those interested.

Haven't seen these ones.

I'd recommend the first two the most. I like some Peckinpah, but no one has seemed to have seen "Wine Noon" (which was his favorite at the time he was asked.. in the late 60s)

I'd recommend the first two the most. I like some Peckinpah, but no one has seemed to have seen "Wine Noon" (which was his favorite at the time he was asked.. in the late 60s)
They've all been on my watchlist for some time. I'll have to get to them soon.