R.I.P. Sidney Poitier

Tools    

Sad, sad and more sad
Requiescat in pace Sidney.

R.I.P. I'm ashamed to say I've only seen one of his movies, Sneakers, which I loved him in - especially all of the Tahiti jokes - and listened to an audio recording of his stage performance in A Raisin in the Sun, which he's incredible in.

Damn, R.I.P.

I only watched In the Heat of the Night for the first time late last year. The scene where he slaps the racist rich guy must have been something else to see when it originally came out.

The trick is not minding
They call him…MR. Poitier!

Seems several of his films, including In the Heat of the Night, The Defiant Ones and Lilies of the Field.

RIP, good sir.

2022 already off to a rough start, coupled with Bogdanovich.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Truly an outstanding actor.

R.I.P.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I didn't realize Sidney was still with us. Like others have said he gave some stellar performances and usually landed in some really solid films. I just looked at this filmography and I've seen his well known classics, but wow he made a lot of films. I need to check those out sometimes...another great gone.

Ah man, this is turning out to be a rough year.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

To Sir With Love has been a dearly loved film by me for most of my life.

And while I'm not a great fan of Norman Jewison's work, Poitier is great in Heat, even if I'm mixed on the actual movie.