top 5 submarine movies

Tools    

Sharks and Little Fish (1957)
Haie und kleine Fische

Finally managed to catch this quite rare German naval drama set during WW2. Some good action and sea-going scenes, first onboard a minesweeper and then a U-boat. Decent story as well with some interesting characters. Currently on YouTube with English subtitles. Don't miss!

is The Hunt for Red October on the top 5?
Certainly a top 5 choice for many people I should think. It has a good reputation.

Darn well it is

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
I have to give a nod to "Down Periscope" with Kelsey Grammer, Rip Torn, Rob Schneider and Bruce Dern. The film is a silly guilty pleasure, but on another level is an interesting study in leadership skills.

Of the other's listed, I am a "Hunt For Red October" man. Love that film.

Also, "On The Beach" with Gregory Peck is excellent sci-fi and one of the better "mood pieces" that I have seen, although you will never want to hear the tune "Waltzing Matilda" again in your life after viewing the movie. I'm not sure I think of it as a submarine movie as most of it occurs on land in Australia. An outstanding scene in that movie involves a car race which devolves into a a festival of crashes, the whole scene symbolizing the technical rise and fall of the human race.

I saw "Das Boot" in the theater when it came out and it was so long and so intense that I think I was physically tired from the tension when I left the theater.

There is a lot of submarine action in the Bond flick, "The Spy Who Loved Me." Maybe that one deserves mention as a guilty pleasure.

Does "The abyss" count as a submarine movie? It starts with a pretty hairy submarine crash and flood. If it applies to the category, then "The Abyss" makes my list.