Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Who's got some hot takes on Chimes At Midnight?
Falstaff is the best Shakespeare play that Shakespeare never wrote, and completes the underrated Welles Shakespear trilogy. It was a joy that Criterion finally made this long unavailable (but widely bootlegged) film available in excellent quality.

As an unapologetic romantic about the nature of art, I felt a pretty strong kinship with her experience. One of the essentially great things about creating something out of your brain, is to communicate what generally can't be said in day to day conversation. To explain where it is we come from. But then when you are in a situation like she found herself, you have to begin to wonder, who are we actually communicating with. What do they want from us. What do we owe them. How healthy is it to reach out for the approval of strangers with things that are the most deeply personal to us.

Of course, this very paradox is also part of what I love about art. It simultaneously represents complete independence and a kind of desperate neediness to be seen and heard on the part of the artist. I've only personally had two very minor artistic successes in my life, and just the very minimal demands I felt those put on me from those who liked what I was doing, felt crushingly overwhelming. People would get angry if I tried something new. Or if I did something that confused them. Would ask for explanations that weren't there or would only diminish what I was trying to say. All of which led me to wonder, why the hell am I putting this out there? Wasn't just doing it for myself enough? And so promptly stopped both times. Which was probably both a healthy and an unhealthy decision on my part.

So I can relate pretty deeply at her emotional turmoil over this comic. Even though I only experienced a fraction of a fractioni of a percentile of the same attention. It must be unbearable and incredibly depressing, right at the moment it should feel perfect and great.
The willingness of non-paying friends and acquaintances to share their disappointment at my latest artistic direction has always been pretty surprising. And I'm not talking about actual criticism of any substance (which I would welcome), but rather something more like "You're not painting _____ anymore?" (accompanied by disappointed face). It's like the equivalent of touring behind your 20th album while the crowd only yells requests for songs from your debut. So the idea of having a paying public to satisfy sounds horrific.

Most of the work that I've been paid for has been "commissioned" so to speak, so it hasn't really been an issue. "Paint a portrait of my dead pet/favorite celebrity/childhood home", etc. But having a fanbase of strangers awaiting my next project would probably be crippling for me.

Falstaff is the best Shakespeare play that Shakespeare never wrote, and completes the underrated Welles Shakespear trilogy. It was a joy that Criterion finally made this long unavailable (but widely bootlegged) film available in excellent quality.

Looks as if Jinnistan has been banned (?), so I guess I won't hold my breath that this conversation on dumb Shakespeare is going anywhere.

An unfortunate situation that I think can't help but dim the lights on this particular thread.

The trick is not minding
Looks as if Jinnistan has been banned (?), so I guess I won't hold my breath that this conversation on dumb Shakespeare is going anywhere.

An unfortunate situation that I think can't help but dim the lights on this particular thread.
Looks temporary.

Victim of The Night

Wait, seriously?

Wait, seriously?
Yes, temporary.

My goal in these situations is to not turn moderation into some kind of de facto public shaming, which is what happens if I make some kind of announcement about it, so if people need specifics they can contact me privately. I think that's the Least Bad way to remain transparent. Anyone should feel free to ask about any moderation issue, I'd just ask they be sensitive to the above and use judgment about how to inquire (private is always safest, obviously).

One of the problems with moderation is that we have to remove stuff, but the fact that its removed means people don't see it, and so they sometimes complain that they didn't see anything worth banning over, even though that's the idea. I'm not talking about either/any of you, to be clear, I'm just saying that preemptively since that kind of complaint paradox is a pretty regular problem.

For what it's worth, I linked a review I wrote on the film upthread.

Here's what I wrote on it earlier this year for a Hall of Fame:

https://www.imdb.com/review/rw6950895/?ref_=ur_urv

I'm not sure what you mean by dumb, but it's definitely my favorite Shakespeare adaptation.

Nice write up.

Shakespeare is dumb because I get annoyed being expected to listen to everything everyone is saying. He's an *******.

He said extremely insulting things to people. As usual.
That doesn't surprise me much; I mean, he's generally a good poster, but he can definitely get overly ornery at times, like that time he bugged me here about tagging pictures with nudity outside of the NSFW thread as being such back when I was a mod on the Corrie, saying that my "mommy issues" must have been triggered by the sight of a nipple. It's like, sorry it annoyed you so much that I tried to keep that forum safe to browse for the people who liked to look at it at work (myself included), I guess?

The trick is not minding
That doesn't surprise me much; I mean, he's generally a good poster, but he can definitely get overly ornery at times, like that time he bugged me here about tagging pictures with nudity outside of the NSFW thread as being such back when I was a mod on the Corrie, saying that my "mommy issues" must have been triggered by the sight of a nipple. It's like, sorry it annoyed you so much that I tried to keep that forum safe to browse for the people who liked to look at it at work (myself included), I guess?
I noticed that as well, specifically this incident and thought it was out of line.
I won’t bash the guy, as I like him and think he has a lot to offer here (I find him rather fascinating with his near encyclopedic knowledge of films) , but there isn’t any place for that unacceptable behavior.
I’m hoping he can come back with no grudges.

That is just plain mad. Dear me.

In other news, some people interpreted my recent post in the Tarantino’s mother thread as a dig at him personally. That’s how insidious this stuff gets. Anyway. Nothing was actually said to me personally, to be clear. It will all calm down, of course.