Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

My biggest one is probably A Beautiful Mind. I have more of an ideological dislike for it; it seems to be the ultimate example of the sneaky so-called
WARNING: spoilers below
twist, which to me is just as bad as Haute Tension, but worse, because you expert a certain level of craft from something like A Beautiful Mind that you don’t from Haute Tension. My mother loves it for the idea that you can ‘trick your mind’ and ‘find a way out’, but to me that’s just a load of bollocks in the context of the film. Also, I never read anything that suggested Nash ever lived with an awareness of his mental illness, which is also an annoying extrapolation.

The trick is not minding
There’s a bunch of films that are considered classics or well respected or liked to many that I just didn’t feel the same way for. Many just don’t resonate with me much. Some are just mediocre.
Gandhi, LA’Avventura, Santa Sangre, Hateful Eight, Django Unchained, Road to Perdition, Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, Diary of a Chambermaid, Satyricon….I’m sure there’s plenty more I’m forgetting.

The trick is not minding
My biggest one is probably A Beautiful Mind. I have more of an ideological dislike for it; it seems to be the ultimate example of the sneaky so-called
WARNING: spoilers below
twist, which to me is just as bad as Haute Tension, but worse, because you expert a certain level of craft from something like A Beautiful Mind that you don’t from Haute Tension. My mother loves it for the idea that you can ‘trick your mind’ and ‘find a way out’, but to me that’s just a load of bollocks in the context of the film. Also, I never read anything that suggested Nash ever lived with an awareness of his mental illness, which is also an annoying extrapolation.
Reading this reminds me that I need to watch Haute Tension, a film I’ve had on my watch list for about 16 years now.
In my defense, I kind of forget about it until someone reminds me about it.
🤷

Reading this reminds me that I need to watch Haute Tension, a film I’ve had on my watch list for about 16 years now.
🤷
If I were you, I wouldn’t necessarily bother - but then again, I’m one to watch all the rubbish, so why not. It’s infamous for its so-called twist, as I’m sure you know.

The trick is not minding
If I were you, I wouldn’t necessarily bother - but then again, I’m one to watch all the rubbish, so why not. It’s infamous for its so-called twist, as I’m sure you know.
I try to watch all movies that I can. Even the supposed bad ones, because there exists the possibility I may like it far more then most.

I try to watch all movies that I can. Even the supposed bad ones, because there exists the possibility I may like it far more then most.
Fair enough. Well, I don’t know, for what that’s worth, Haute Tension more or less kick-started the New French Extremity movement, so it’s probably worth watching for that alone.

The trick is not minding
Fair enough. Well, I don’t know, for what that’s worth, Haute Tension more or less kick-started the New French Extremity movement, so it’s probably worth watching for that alone.
Pretty much why I have had me eye on it for so long, though I haven’t been much among a fan of it.
Although I did like Revenge

Pretty much why I have had me eye on it for so long, though I haven’t been much among a fan of it.
Although I did like Revenge
Likewise, I loved Revenge. But I’d say that’s slightly sleeker than the early NFE offerings. I suppose as any subgenre, it evolves.

Haute Tension has an awful twist, but the rest if the movie is extremely taut slasher filmmaking. I'm not an expert on French New Extremity (and haven't seen the Denis, which is supposed to be the best one), but I found it quite a bit more enjoyable than all the others I've seen. If you care more about the ride than the destination, it's worth a watch.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I've seen Revenge and that's a tricky one because even though I felt it had a lot of good suspenseful moments sprinkled throughout, it felt like they need to overdo it in the gore to sell it maybe? I don't feel like I am prudish and I can handle gore, but it just felt like they were trying too hard maybe, unless I am wrong?

If someone hates me for hating awful movies - so be it....

I think most have been covered.. I hate every movie listed in the last 40 years, but my Golden Age have some movies everyone seems to love, that I don't... "Dr. Zhivago", "Lawrence of Arabia"... I guess I don't like David Lean, didn't care for "The Bridge On The River Kwai", which I looked forward to since I've ridden a motorbike over the (real) bridge many times after midnight. I do like the scene where the Japanese general shouts about "Rules! Rules??"
I really liked Bridge on the River Kwai... except for the end.

WARNING: "It's the classic bummer ending" spoilers below
Everyone dies - well, most of the main characters anyway... which might be realistic for a war movie, but it's still depressing.

Since one's best memory of the film may be the ending, then it's understandable that some might not like it.

I would've preferred it if Haute Tension had ended in a more conventional way, but I wasn't as bothered with the ending as some people were, even though there are a couple plot holes it brought to the film. Rather, I found the twist to be a super creepy reveal and I didn't mind showing a bit of suspension of disbelief for me to appreciate it. In addition, all the plot holes that I noticed (the dream at the beginning and the woman's head being thrown out of the truck) happen near the beginning of the film, so that further helps to make it an easier pill to swallow.

Most Superhero movies due to their contrived and predictable nature

Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993).

Those who watched with me (the entire class) kind of liked the film, but I didn't. I hated it. There was too much talking and less action. My taste is always 'less verbal and more action' like Sergio Leone movies. (Quentin Tarantino movies might be exception).

For me it would be Harry Potter probably. I just hate that. Stupid boy.

🤷

This is the epitome of low tension.

Hate is too strong a word, but I was never that crazy about The Matrix or The Sixth Sense.

I pretty much disliked Annie Hall and Silver Linings Playbook.

Out of the six Bergman films I've seen, The Seventh Seal was my least favorite by a significant margin.

Me not being that crazy about Breathless also seemed to have shocked a few around here too.