Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

That doesn't surprise me much; I mean, he's generally a good poster, but he can definitely get overly ornery at times, like that time he bugged me here about tagging pictures with nudity outside of the NSFW thread as being such back when I was a mod on the Corrie, saying that my "mommy issues" must have been triggered by the sight of a nipple. It's like, sorry it annoyed you so much that I tried to keep that forum safe to browse for the people who liked to look at it at work (myself included), I guess?
Lol

Everybody knew that thread was NSFW and had been been around for years, all you had to do was add a tag to the title, instate of going through the entire thread and spoiler tag every single remotely sexy image.

...like that time he bugged me here about tagging pictures with nudity outside of the NSFW thread as being such back when I was a mod on the Corrie, saying that my "mommy issues" must have been triggered by the sight of a nipple.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Lol

Everybody knew that thread was NSFW and had been been around for years, all you had to do was add a tag to the title, instate of going through the entire thread and spoiler tag every single remotely sexy image.
...huh? I didn't say that I tagged every post with nudity in the NSFW thread that way (because that would've been the stupidest thing ever), I said I did it for every post like that outside that thread; reading comprehension, Rock-o, reading comprehension!

...huh? I didn't say thatI tagged every post with nudity in the NSFW thread that way (because that would've been incredibly idiotic), I said I did it for every post like that outside that thread; reading comprehension, Rock-o, reading comprehension!
I'm talking about Macrology's thread. It was pathological and weird.

I'm talking about Macrology's thread. It was pathological and weird.
Pathological how? There was only the occasional NSFW post in that thread, and tagging those posts one-at-a-time as they showed up was extremely easy, and only took a few seconds, so I don't see that at all.

Sure.

Anyway, I'm sure Crumbsroom will be thrilled that we're relitigating a moderation issue from a dead forum in his thread, so I will leave it at that.

Sure.

Anyway, I'm sure Crumbsroom will be thrilled that we're relegating a moderation issue from a dead forum in his thread, so I will leave it at that.
Hey now, you were the one who started bugging me about it in the first place.

I responded to a comment you made about the situation.

And now I'm ending it.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

It's funny watch people argue their way out of having an argument.

I think it's bedtime for me.

Admittedly, I didn't have an issue with the NSFW tagging. It probably would've been easier for Stu to avoid looking at the thread when he was around other people, but putting the pictures in a spoiler tag didn't resize or change the photos in any way whatsoever. You could still view them in their original form. All you had to do was click one extra button and take an additional one or two seconds to do so.

All my posts should be tagged NSFW because they're that edgy. *Puts on shades and caresses my frosted spiked tips*

All my posts should be tagged NSFW because they're that edgy. *Puts on shades and caresses my frosted spiked tips*
I don't like how you used the phrase "caresses my frosted tips" as that's a suggestive phrase. Like, how do I know you're not caressing something else?

I don't like how you used the phrase "caresses my frosted tips" as that's a suggestive phrase. Like, how do I know you're not caressing something else?
Like I said. NSFW. *caresses with vigor*

Nice write up.

Shakespeare is dumb because I get annoyed being expected to listen to everything everyone is saying. He's an *******.

To further the Chimes discussion, as a person who generally has difficulty following all of the dialogue in Shakespeare, I definitely had moments where I struggled to pick up all the nuance of character, the relationships and any of the intricacies of the plot. It's why I always approach these adaptations with some amount of hesitation. For whatever reason, while I am completely fine not 'getting' every moment in a film from a supposedly difficult director, I always feel I am missing something if I am not decoding every line of Shakespeare. I find it exhausting.

But even though this is considered a somewhat more impenetrable Shakepeare than most (you really feel you've been dropped into the middle of these conversations, almost like an Altman with soliloquies), I think I still mostly followed the gyst of everything that was happening. Not that I think this is entirely necessary though. What I love about Chimes is it is frequently a purely cinematic experience. And where I usually find myself needing the performances of the actors to understand the emotions and general thrust of one of his plays, Welles makes it so I also understand what is happening simply through the way he shoots the film. I often would have little idea what was directly being discussed in each scene, but when I would occassionally take a break to read a synopsis of the last few scenes I watched, I was usually right on the money.

While I wouldn't agree with Welles that it was the best thing he has ever done, I think it is up there. But the top of his filmography is just so cluttered with greatness, it would still be very hard to rank.

To further the Chimes discussion, as a person who generally has difficulty following all of the dialogue in Shakespeare, I definitely had moments where I struggled to pick up all the nuance of character, the relationships and any of the intricacies of the plot. It's why I always approach these adaptations with some amount of hesitation. For whatever reason, while I am completely fine not 'getting' every moment in a film from a supposedly difficult director, I always feel I am missing something if I am not decoding every line of Shakespeare. I find it exhausting.
I can very strongly remember the moment in high school when my brain "clicked over" and suddenly I could totally flow with Shakespeare's writing. It was like coming up from being underwater. And I agree that when you aren't in that flow, it can be a really trying experience following what is happening.

But even though this is considered a somewhat more impenetrable Shakepeare than most (you really feel you've been dropped into the middle of these conversations, almost like an Altman with soliloquies), I think I still mostly followed the gyst of everything that was happening. Not that I think this is entirely necessary though. What I love about Chimes is it is frequently a purely cinematic experience. And where I usually find myself needing the performances of the actors to understand the emotions and general thrust of one of his plays, Welles makes it so I also understand what is happening simply through the way he shoots the film. I often would have little idea what was directly being discussed in each scene, but when I would occassionally take a break to read a synopsis of the last few scenes I watched, I was usually right on the money.
Chimes at Midnight is on my to-watch list. I watched the first 5 minutes at one point, but could immediately tell I was not in the right headspace for it. I think that, like you say, the best Shakespeare adaptations find a way to honor the language, but also create a visual flow that lets you know what's up.