FAVORITE Stephen King Movie

Tools    

Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, and 1408 (yes i liked 1408) are the only ones i really like.

I watched Misery last night on TV. I still cringe when the "hobbling" takes place.

The Shawshank Redemption.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

The Shawshank Redemption for me, as well.

But I don't feel right not giving an honorable mention to Misery.

The Shining is up there for me, as well.

I am an avid reader of Stephen King. While most of the film adaptions don't live up to the books, there are a few that do. King's stories have been adapted for film so many times that there are more than a few good films made from his work. Some I do consider better than the books. While some people say that most King adaptions are terrible, I say that there are some that rank up with the greatest films of all time.

My top 5:
1. The Shining will always be my favorite King adaption. It strays a lot from the novel, but in my opinion for the better.
2. The Mist - There is no doubt that Frank Darabont is the best when it comes to King adaptions. The Mist actually exceeded my expectations which were pretty high to begin with. Made like a classic horror film.
3. The Shawshank Redemption - Probably the best prison movie ever made.
4. Misery - On a par with the novel IMO, and that is really saying something since Misery is one of the best King novels out there. Aided by fantastic performances by Caan and Bates.
5. Apt Pupil - I may be alone on liking this as much as I do. It's a very well made disturbing psychological drama about a boy that finds out a deadly secret about his neighbor.

From what I remember of other King movies and TV series I also enjoyed The Green Mile, Dreamcatcher, 1408, The Night Flier, Maximum Overdrive, Carrie, The Stand, Silver Bullet, and Creepshow. Biggest disappointment would either be The Mangler or Thinner.

Stand by Me is surely the best because of it's emotional storyline?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
The Shining, Rose Red, Dreamcatcher and Secret Window

I'm sure I posted my list of top 5 SK flix before, but here it is again:

5. Stand By Me
You guys wanna see a dead body?

4. Carrie

I don't know what Carrie's big hang-up was with the pig's blood an' all.
I mean, at least she had a date for the prom.

3. Misery
Whether she's starring in this movie or not, Cathy Bates always frightens me.

2. Dolores Clairborne
I pretty much ignored this film when it was first released. I watched on it's first airing
value
on TV and I literally couldn't believe at how good it was. So I went out & rented it, & yep, I was right. It's that good.
The story is just perfect from beginning to end. And Kathy Bates, IMO, turns in an even better performance than she did in Misery. The plot may tend to come off as a bit complicated, but the movie does a great job of walking the viewer thru the intermingling flashbacks & varoius plot points that show the main character's journey to save her daughter from the father's "parental indulgences" & how that struggle can lead us to find strength in the most unlikely of places.

1. Shawshank Redemption
Not since Brian's Song has there been a flick that truly encapsulated the feeling of amorous friendship between two straight men.
Interracial hetero man-love at it's finest.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Oh, so many! I literally can not choose one.
Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Shining
Christine
Children of the Corn
Cat's Eye
Stand By Me
The Running Man
Tales from the Dark Side: The Movie
It
Misery
The Green Mile
Hearts in Atlantis
Rose Red
The Dead Zone
Dreamcatcher
Secret Window
Riding the Bullet
The Mist
I accept they may not all be technically great movies(although I think Hearts of Atlantis is a really underrated film), but I love them all equally.
The Stand and Dolores Clairborne were my favorite books(actually no, I can't decide, but those are definitely up there) and for some reason I still haven't gotten around to seeing the movies.
And I don't understand how I still haven't legitimately seen Shawshank Redemption, I've been trying to watch it like my whole life!

Movie Forums Extra
stand by me & shawshank redemption

stand by me & shawshank redemption
damnit, you stole my two...good call!
"Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets." - Dante Hicks