Little Women 2019

→ in
Tools    

I found the movie confusing because I couldn't tell if these events were happening with the character or if this was taking place in the book that she was writing ?

I found the movie confusing because I couldn't tell if these events were happening with the character or if this was taking place in the book that she was writing ?
The movie was trying to be artsy to cover the fact that it lifted a number of scenes from Little Women 1994 That's also why scenes were done out of sequences to make the movie look fresh, but IMO there was nothing fresh about it, except maybe the tact on ending that never occurred in the book. I suggest watching the 1994 version instead.

part of the magic is that the movie opens itself up to interpretations!! especially the ending

one of my favs of the year for sure.

I found this movie a bit confusing too...I thought it was just because I've never read the book, but I'm glad it wasn't just me.

I found this movie a bit confusing too...I thought it was just because I've never read the book, but I'm glad it wasn't just me.
Gideon, have you seen the 1994 version of Little Women? If not I highly recommend you do. I think you'd like it.

No, last year's Best Picture nominee is the only version of the story I've seen. I have thought about watching the 1949 version with June Allyson and Elizabeth Taylor, but never got around to it.

No, last year's Best Picture nominee is the only version of the story I've seen. I have thought about watching the 1949 version with June Allyson and Elizabeth Taylor, but never got around to it.
That's a good version too. My favorite is the 1994 version. There's many other versions too, including one with Susan Dey and William Shatner, it's much better than it sounds. The 1994 version has an excellent cast: Christian Bale, Winona Ryder and Susan Sarandon.

I wasnt fond of the new Little Women..it seems to jump around a lot.

I enjoy the one from 1994 as well.

The 1994 version has an excellent cast: Christian Bale, Winona Ryder and Susan Sarandon.
and..

Gabriel Byrne
Samantha Mathis
Kristen Dunst
Claire Danes
Eric Stoltz
John Neville
Mary Wickes

and several other cast members.

and..

Gabriel Byrne
Samantha Mathis
Kristen Dunst
Claire Danes
Eric Stoltz
John Neville
Mary Wickes

and several other cast members.
Yes! I mean what a cast the 1994 version has. Gideon, you need to watch it

part of the magic is that the movie opens itself up to interpretations!! especially the ending

one of my favs of the year for sure.
Agreed. The point is that she is telling her own story through the book. That's why at the very end we see
WARNING: spoilers below
the important split between real life and "what will sell". Thus we get the "in book" romantic ending where she ends up with the guy, and then we also see the "real life" romantic ending where the romance is her and her writing and getting her book published.

I like the 1994 version (and have very fond feelings about it because I grew up with it), but this version really blew me away. The performances, the color palette, all of it.