The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I also don't think of The Gold Rush as a western. Even if I did, as good as it is, it wouldn't have made my top 25.

I did have Day of the Outlaw at #18 marking the 2nd movie I voted for to make it. Hoping to see the great Burl Ives show up again here. I'm pretty sure he will.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I also don't think of The Gold Rush as a western. Even if I did, as good as it is, it wouldn't have made my top 25.

I did have Day of the Outlaw at #18 marking the 2nd movie I voted for to make it. Hoping to see the great Burl Ives show up again here. I'm pretty sure he will.
Frosty the snowman was eligible?!?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Frosty the snowman was eligible?!?
I voted for it

twice

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
while I am a serious Charlie Chaplin fanboy, much like others, i don't consider Gold Rush as a Western, so while I love the dinner roll dance, the shoe eating and the precarious cabin tipping from side to side, I did not vote my beloved Chaplin.

I AM intrigued by the Day of the Outlaw. For several reasons including seeing "Ginger" in a serious role outside of Gilligan's Island.

Movies Watched 10 out of 24 (41.6%)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Like several others have said, I also didn't think of The Gold Rush as a western. But to be honest, even though I liked it, it probably wouldn't have made my list anyway.

The first half of Day of the Outlaw was okay, but as the movie went on, it just got brutal, and I ended up not liking the movie at all.

Gold Rush.... A Western? I didn't even know that it was eligible. I would have voted it as my #1. I guess the rush was to the west. Then again, Google lists Hateful Eight as a Western!

The trick is not minding
Gold Rush.... A Western? I didn't even know that it was eligible. I would have voted it as my #1. I guess the rush was to the west. Then again, Google lists Hateful Eight as a Western!
That’s because Hateful Eight is a western

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Director John Huston’s third film on the countdown (joining #94 The Unforgiven and #93 The Misfits) is The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean, a satirical portrait of a notorious self-appointed lawman west of the Pecos River, played with gusto by Paul Newman. Roy Bean's a smalltime outlaw who gets jumped by a bar full of even worse hombres and left for dead, but he survives and manages to kill them all. The sketchy desert saloon where the carnage took place kept a gigantic law book for ironic decoration (and toilet paper), but Bean takes a hold of it and decides he will become a judge. Other rascals and lowlifes begin to surround his orbit with a choice of joining up and becoming deputized or facing the justice of the rope and the gun. As Bean’s followers (including Ned Beatty, Matt Clark, and Bill McKinney) and his power grow, so do the foes he must judge and vanquish including Stacy Keach, Tab Hunter, Roddy McDowall, Anthony Zerbe, and John Huston himself as Grizzly Adams. He also falls in love with a local girl (Victoria Principal), though his heart belongs to famous actress Lily Langtree (Ava Gardner). Audacious, funny, and weird.

Pale Rider is Eastwood’s second appearance on the countdown, first as director. It is a sort of cross between Shane and his own High Plains Drifter, playing a mysterious Preacher who rides in upon a Biblical pale horse and serves as an avenging guardian angel to a small community of prospectors in the California mountains, including Michael Moriarty and Carrie Snodgress. They are being harassed and threatened by the ambitious LaHood mining company who wants their claims for strip mining and also owns the nearest town, headed by Richard Dysart, his rowdy son (Chris Penn), and his gigantic henchman (Richael Kiel). There were not many Westerns released in the 1980s, a rare fallow period after decades of being a cinema staple and before the mini-boom of the early 1990s, but Pale Rider made more money than any of them at the box office that decade.

Both of these flicks amassed 59 points. The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean had four votes, two of them were top tens with a fourth and a fifth place nod, while Pale Rider was on five ballots including being named somebody’s second overall pick, landing it one spot higher on the countdown.

Sadly didn't get round to The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean for this and memories of it are far too long gone to even count it as watched. Did give Pale Rider an outing though and it's a fairly enjoyable watch but not enough so for it to make my list.

Seen: 14/26
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.01):
74. Rango
73. The Proposition

I didn't dislike Roy Bean but it's too weird for my taste.

Saw Pale Rider at the movies when I was 14. I remember liking it ok but never felt compelled to see it again. My father loved it so I stole him a copy.

I didn't dislike Roy Bean but it's too weird for my taste.

Saw Pale Rider at the movies when I was 14. I remember liking it ok but never felt compelled to see it again. My father loved it so I stole him a copy.
I love The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean but couldn't fit it on my ballot.

Hey, we're almost the same age, Cricket: I was fifteen when Pale Rider was released. To that point in my life it was probably the best Western I had seen on the big screen, having started rather inauspiciously with the two Apple Dumpling Gang Disney flicks and the godawful Legend of the Lone Ranger (1981). Silverado and Pale Rider, both released in 1985, were the cinematic crack that deepened my love for the genre. I was enjoying the classics and near classics on TV and video, but seeing and connecting with a Western on the big screen is like a rite of passage.

Yet I didn't vote for Pale Rider, either. Good movie but Eastwood has too many great ones he is associated with, as actor and an actor/director, for it to make the cut.

I lost my list so I have no idea what my top 25 looks like outside the top 4-5 but I'm pretty sure Three Amigos was somewhere in the middle. Fell asleep watching The Sons of Katie Elder and I'm not too interested in going back to finish it. My Name is Nobody was ok. Reminded me of a Bugs Bunny cartoon. The bar fight/shootout scene was the highlight for me. That was very funny but the movie seemed to go on forever.

I lost my list so I have no idea what my top 25 looks like outside the top 4-5 but I'm pretty sure Three Amigos was somewhere in the middle. Fell asleep watching The Sons of Katie Elder and I'm not too interested in going back to finish it. My Name is Nobody was ok. Reminded me of a Bugs Bunny cartoon. The bar fight/shootout scene was the highlight for me. That was very funny but the movie seemed to go on forever.
Hey Freddie, you had ¡Three Amigos! at #18, contributing eight of its fifty-one points.

I thought about including Pale Rider, but I've only seen it twice and both of those times a great many years ago. I can't remember much about it but I do remember not enjoying it as much the second time so decided against it.

The Life And Times... is another film my friend who likes Support Your Local Sheriff! likes a lot, but I don't think I've seen it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No points from me, but I like and recommend both. Roy Bean is basically a weirder remake of the wonderful Gary Cooper/Walter Brennan The Westerner (1940). Since almost everyone is so strange, it's hard to pick the weirdest character but I guess I'll go with Stacy Keach's albino Bad Bob. Pale Rider is also weird - a weirder version of Shane with extremely bright cinematography.