FilmStruck streaming service

Tools    

Don't know if this is the correct forum to ask, but has anyone tried FilmStruck?

On the surface it seems like they have a huge library-- from TCM, Criterion, and other sources. It features classic films, art house flicks, and others. The price isn't bad if one uses it a few times per week. Looks to be from $6 to $11 per month depending upon the features chosen.

https://www.filmstruck.com/us/

I'm thinking about putting on the Roku, but I'd prefer the annual $99 rate.

~Doc

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Never heard of it, so thanks for a new source reference!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Don't know if this is the correct forum to ask, but has anyone tried FilmStruck?

On the surface it seems like they have a huge library-- from TCM, Criterion, and other sources. It features classic films, art house flicks, and others. The price isn't bad if one uses it a few times per week. Looks to be from $6 to $11 per month depending upon the features chosen.

https://www.filmstruck.com/us/

I'm thinking about putting on the Roku, but I'd prefer the annual $99 rate.

~Doc
I would love to have it, but I found that to stream it to my TV, I couldn't use my Sony BluRay/DVD player. Something about Sony's built in apps, won't allow Filmstruck to work. Probably because Sony has their own pay movie site. So in researching I found you can buy a Roku USB stick and stream to it, then it will play on TV. One of these days I'll get around to it.

I don't know what kind of setup you have, CR. But if you have a laptop, you can stream it to there, then feed it to your TV via a HDMI cable-- providing your TV has an open HDMI connection.

~Doc

I don't know what kind of setup you have, CR. But if you have a laptop, you can stream it to there, then feed it to your TV via a HDMI cable-- providing your TV has an open HDMI connection.

~Doc
I don't have a laptop with a HDMI port. But I read about that method and it sounds like a pain in the ass...as to pause the movie or rewind, you have to either have the laptop, in your lap or get up and walk over to the laptop

I don't have a laptop with a HDMI port. But I read about that method and it sounds like a pain in the ass...as to pause the movie or rewind, you have to either have the laptop, in your lap or get up and walk over to the laptop
I would just walk into Best Buy and ask someone.

I just use a wireless mouse, and it's easy..

I would just walk into Best Buy and ask someone.
I just use a wireless mouse, and it's easy..
I already know what to do, a $25 Roku USB device will plug into my Blu Ray Player and should be able to stream Filmstruck from that.

I had Filmstruck a while back, and loved it. I only canceled it because I found myself gorging on "bad" movies on Amazon. I need to subscribe again, especially since I saw that Two Men in Manhattan (1959) is streaming on there now.

Must be doin sumthin right
Filmstruck's selection is great but their search functionality, queuing system & player are all mildly infuriating. One thing I do really appreciate is the updated page of coming/going titles. I'm at the point now where I just monitor that and watch the movies that look interesting to me which are expiring within the month

Filmstruck's selection is great but their search functionality, queuing system & player are all mildly infuriating. One thing I do really appreciate is the updated page of coming/going titles. I'm at the point now where I just monitor that and watch the movies that look interesting to me which are expiring within the month
Their search feature is awful online but I find it's much better on my Apple TV. Why do these streaming services make the search functionality different across platforms?

Must be doin sumthin right
Their search feature is awful online but I find it's much better on my Apple TV. Why do these streaming services make the search functionality different across platforms?

Web design now caters more to the tablet/phone experience than the laptop/desktop one and another part of it is these streaming services never want you to see the absolute limits of their selection. They want you to spend more time poking around and settling on something to watch

It sucks that Filmstruck is being axed. Obviously there's more money in endless and mindless sequels & reboots, than there is in offering the public a chance to see hard to find older classics and indie films.

It was the best streaming service by a HUGE margin, in both quality and quantity. My week is ruined.

This might just do nobody any good.
app navigation could’a used some fine tunning but I’m as bummed out as anyone here. Don’t know if there’s any chance Criterion’s catalogue could go back to Hulu like it used to be.

It was the best streaming service by a HUGE margin, in both quality and quantity. My week is ruined.
I could not be more bummed. I feel pathetic for being so attached to a streaming service, but damn I am extremely bummed. Literally wondering what my movie viewing will look like next year. I lean very heavy on this service.