My Netflix DVD queue is empty! I need some good movie recomendations!

Tools    

I can see what you mean about Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins, but it's hard to live up to Julie Andrews in that role.
Yup there's only one Julie Andrews. If I could have picked a new Mary Poppins I would have went with Kate Winslet.

I haven't seen The Shape of Water yet, but it seems to be either a "love it" or "hate it" movie. (I'm waiting until I find the DVD cheap at a garage sale or flea market.)
So over-rated & over-hyped. Really like Sally Hawkins & glad, finally, that she was in a huge hit, but I could live without this movie.

So over-rated & over-hyped. Really like Sally Hawkins & glad, finally, that she was in a huge hit, but I could live without this movie.
Did you see her in Maudie? I loved that film, and I wish I could find more movies to watch like that.

Did you see her in Maudie? I loved that film, and I wish I could find more movies to watch like that.
Yes. Strange & sweet movie.

I suspect you have seen many more movies than myself, so with no way to know what you have seen, here are a few random suggestions

Their Finest- British Film A good mix of drama with some comedy.

If you still have not seen Chinatown, it is a solid movie that someone who likes movies as much as you would want to see some day.
An older one would be Lubitsche's To Be or Not to Be
City Lights is great
I don't know if you have ever checked out David Lynch, but if you have not you might check out "Lost Highway" a real puzzle of a movie. Or his totally not offensive Straight Story. (I am always cautious about recommending Lynch. because he is a bit odd and can be offensive.)
If you can find a copy you might try out John Sayle's City of Hope it is a good watch.
if you have seen any of these I'd be interested if you liked or disliked them.

I suspect you have seen many more movies than myself, so with no way to know what you have seen, here are a few random suggestions
Yeah I've seen a few films in my time! But you know what? I forget them too. I just watched The Fastest Gun Alive (1956) last night and it wasn't until the very end of the movie that it dawned on me that I'd seen it before. So I guess if I only count those films that I remember, I haven't actually seen that many

Their Finest- British Film A good mix of drama with some comedy.
Cool! I just read about it at Imdb and that's exactly the type of film I like. So I requested it from my library, thanks.

If you still have not seen Chinatown, it is a solid movie that someone who likes movies as much as you would want to see some day.
Definitely have plans to watch that someday. I love noir and Jack Nicholson is usually pretty damn good, so I'll get to it.

An older one would be Lubitsche's To Be or Not to Be
Seen it and really liked it. I'm a big fan of Lubitsche and of Carole Lombard too.

City Lights is great
I've been blown away by every feature length Chaplin film that I've seen...but I have yet to see that one. However I do plan on it.

I don't know if you have ever checked out David Lynch, but if you have not you might check out "Lost Highway" a real puzzle of a movie. Or his totally not offensive Straight Story. (I am always cautious about recommending Lynch. because he is a bit odd and can be offensive.)
I think Lynch is a bona fide genius, but he can be a bit too far out there for me. Of his films I've seen Straight Story, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man and loved them all. I even like Dune. I haven't seen Lost Highway but it sounds interesting and I might check that out someday, I wish it would get nominated in a future HoF, then I'd be sure to see it.

If you can find a copy you might try out John Sayle's City of Hope it is a good watch.
I haven't seen that but that also sound interesting. Thanks for the recommendations

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Citizen Rules, I watched a movie last night that you might like. It's not a new movie, but you like old musicals, so this might be right up your alley.

Good News (1947) starring Peter Lawford and June Allyson. I didn't know that Peter Lawford could sing and dance, but he did a nice job.

@Citizen Rules, I watched a movie last night that you might like. It's not a new movie, but you like old musicals, so this might be right up your alley.

Good News (1947) starring Peter Lawford and June Allyson. I didn't know that Peter Lawford could sing and dance, but he did a nice job.
Thanks, I've not seen that one. I didn't know Peter Lawford could sing or dance either. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks, I've not seen that one. I didn't know Peter Lawford could sing or dance either. I'll have to check it out.

I hadn't heard of it either. I found the DVD at a garage sale this weekend. (I bought about 20 classic movie DVDs there, but this was one of the few that I had never heard of, so it jumped to the top of my watchlist last night.)

I hadn't heard of it either. I found the DVD at a garage sale this weekend. (I bought about 20 classic movie DVDs there, but this was one of the few that I had never heard of, so it jumped to the top of my watchlist last night.)
I haven't watched any musicals for awhile, I've been mostly watching westerns from the 50s. Dinner time, catch ya later.

I haven't watched any musicals for awhile, I've been mostly watching westerns from the 50s. Dinner time, catch ya later.

I've been trying to watch some of the HoF noms, but I keep getting interrupted by some great TCM classics.

Enjoy your dinner.

It's difficult to think of what to recommend since you seem to have so many biases against modern cinema, but here's a list of good-to-decent movies from recent years that might appeal to you, meaning that I find them most of them old-fashioned to some degree:

The Sisters Brothers (2018)
The Old Man and the Gun (2018)
The Rider (2017)
Only the Brave (2017)
The Ballad of Lefty Brown (2017)
The Glass Castle (2017)
Allied (2016)
The Promise (2016)
Eddie the Eagle (2016)
Loving (2016)
The Founder (2016)
Brooklyn (2015)
McFarland, USA (2015)
The Theory of Everything (2014)
Still Alice (2014)
Wild (2014)
The Judge (2014)
Nebraska (2013)
Enough Said (2013)
The Immigrant (2013)
All is Lost (2013)

@Captain Spaulding thanks for the list! Some good movies there that I've seen before and some that I've been interested in. And some I've not heard of but look good. It's true I've grown dismal over most of the movies I've seen that were made in the last 2 years. So much so that just a few days ago I decided to cancel my Netflix DVD plan and I had that for over a decade. Of course I still have total access to movies, my library has most all new releases. Some thoughts on your suggestions that I've seen.

Not Seen:
The Sisters Brothers (2018)
The Rider (2017)
The Ballad of Lefty Brown (2017)
The Promise (2016)
McFarland, USA (2015)
The Judge (2014)
Nebraska (2013)
Enough Said (2013)

Seen:
The Old Man and the Gun (2018)
my review
Only the Brave (2017)
my review
The Glass Castle (2017)
my review
Allied (2016)
my review
Eddie the Eagle (2016)
my review
Loving (2016)
my review
Brooklyn (2015)
my review
The Theory of Everything (2014)
my review
Still Alice (2014)
my review
The Founder (2016)
my review
Wild (2014)
my review
The Immigrant (2013)
my review
All is Lost (2013)
my review

So you can see that the only one of your recommendations that I didn't like was Wild. Still Alice, Brooklyn & The Founder were favorites.

Check out Mindwalk- It is available on you tube, however the picture has much to be desired. Discusses systems theory. Has great cast John Heard, Sam Waterston, and Liv Ullman. Pretty much a dialog move

If you have not seen The Awful Truth or His Girl Friday they are two solid entries from Cary Grant.
I don't know if Bergman is too heavy for you, but you might try Winter's Light.

I saw your post again, and I have recently revisited these titles.

Did you ever see Their Finest?

Yeah I've seen a few films in my time! But you know what? I forget them too. I just watched The Fastest Gun Alive (1956) last night and it wasn't until the very end of the movie that it dawned on me that I'd seen it before. So I guess if I only count those films that I remember, I haven't actually seen that many

Cool! I just read about it at Imdb and that's exactly the type of film I like. So I requested it from my library, thanks.

Definitely have plans to watch that someday. I love noir and Jack Nicholson is usually pretty damn good, so I'll get to it.

Seen it and really liked it. I'm a big fan of Lubitsche and of Carole Lombard too.

I've been blown away by every feature length Chaplin film that I've seen...but I have yet to see that one. However I do plan on it.

I think Lynch is a bona fide genius, but he can be a bit too far out there for me. Of his films I've seen Straight Story, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man and loved them all. I even like Dune. I haven't seen Lost Highway but it sounds interesting and I might check that out someday, I wish it would get nominated in a future HoF, then I'd be sure to see it.

I haven't seen that but that also sound interesting. Thanks for the recommendations

Check out Mindwalk- It is available on you tube, however the picture has much to be desired. Discusses systems theory. Has great cast John Heard, Sam Waterston, and Liv Ullman. Pretty much a dialog move

If you have not seen The Awful Truth or His Girl Friday they are two solid entries from Cary Grant.
I don't know if Bergman is too heavy for you, but you might try Winter's Light.

I saw your post again, and I have recently revisited these titles.

Did you ever see Their Finest?
Thanks Diehl for the recommendations Nope, I haven't seen Their Finest but it sounds like something I'd like, so I just requested it from my library. I'm excited about that one.

I've seen The Awful Truth & His Girl Friday and like you said solid movies, I really liked both. I've not seen Winter's Light, but I've seen a few Bergman films, and they are amazing, but they leave me cold emotionally.

Mindwalk
sound cool! My library doesn't have it, but I'll see if I can find a good copy of it somewhere.

Thanks Diehl for the recommendations Nope, I haven't seen Their Finest but it sounds like something I'd like, so I just requested it from my library. I'm excited about that one.

I've seen The Awful Truth & His Girl Friday and like you said solid movies, I really liked both. I've not seen Winter's Light, but I've seen a few Bergman films, and they are amazing, but they leave me cold emotionally.

Mindwalk
sound cool! My library doesn't have it, but I'll see if I can find a good copy of it somewhere.

Mindwalk is an obscure film. I recently bought a copy off the internet it was between 20-25 dollars. Watch the you tube version to see if you think it is worth it.

Mindwalk is an obscure film. I recently bought a copy off the internet it was between 20-25 dollars. Watch the you tube version to see if you think it is worth it.
Oh my I'm not paying $20-25 for any movie, so I'll live with the poorer quality I'm looking at Mindwalk right now and it's not too bad looking. I hope to watch the whole movie fairly soon.

I enjoyed Their Finest. Although the film was only fair to middling, I'm a huge Bill Nighy fan, so it was nice to watch him work out..

We watched Multiplicity (1996) last night. I'd been looking for a decent comedy, and they're exceedingly difficult to find.

If you haven't seen it, it stars my man Michael Keaton (in 4 characters) and Andie MacDowell, it's got a half dozen belly laughs, and some very humorous situations. The movie can't sustain that all the way through, and the plot is certainly harebrained, but it's good fun without being gross. Keaton is the perfect actor for these type roles, and he was convincing in each character.

~Doc

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Sea Of Love (1989) I think was on Netflix last time I checked. If it's still on there, watch it!

Oh my I'm not paying $20-25 for any movie, so I'll live with the poorer quality I'm looking at Mindwalk right now and it's not too bad looking. I hope to watch the whole movie fairly soon.
You should be able to find Mindwalk cheaply somewhere as it's not exactly a "desirable" movie (unless it's become some kind of rare cult classic and few copies were made).

I watched it on VHS back in the 90's and it is the ultimate intellectual's movie as it's mostly a discussion of philosophy & science with glimpses into the main character's lives interspersed.

Rules, I saw you didn't include Blue Velvet in your list of Lynch movies you've seen. Can this be? (As I believe it probably ranks as his best or at least most popular.)