Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'The Captain' (2017)

Dir.: Robert Schwentke

Entertaining and cautionary. I loved it. It shows the chaotic conditions in Germany at the end of the second World War, revealing that in such a degenerative regime, anybody can pick up a mantle and run with it.

Max Hubacher plays private Willi Herold, who finds a Nazi Captain's uniform, puts it on and causes carnage as he the power goes to his head. It's shot brilliantly and doesn't have a bad performance throughout. Some of the action is a little shocking, par for the course for such a movie, and the end credits are deliberately off kilter with the rest of the movie.

.................................................................................................... .....................................
'Let the Corpses Tan' (2017)

Dir.: Hélène Cattet, Bruno Forzani

A madcap French western, arthouse crime mashup. It waned a tad in the last 30 minutes but I can see why people rate the photography. It's very stylish.

.................................................................................................... .....................................

'Aguierre, The Wrath of God' (1972)

Dir.: Werner Herzog

Crazy film. No idea how they shot some of the scenes but that's Herzog's devotion to his craft. Kinski is mesmerizing in this. His screen presence is huge and those piercing blue eyes just follow the viewer round. I think at one point he slaps a horse in the face. Lust, greed and power are the main themes, and Aguierre says at one point "Wealth is far more than gold - it's power than fame". How apt. Darkly comic in places too.

I imagine this was a huge inspiration for films like Embrace of the Serpent. There is also a very nice eerie electro score too.

.................................................................................................... ......................................

'Thirst' (2009)

Dir.: Park Chan Wook

I'm nearly up to date with Chan Wook-Park's filmography now. This won't break the top 3 but his messed up plots and lovely visuals never disappoint. Priest vampire killers are not my genre but Chan Wook could probably get me to watch anything.

7.2/10

The Sunshine Boys

Love how they built up the meeting between Burns and Matthau, where the latter is a favorite of mine. Little disappointed in the movie after they meet, and did expect another end. I liked the end though. But it has Matthau yelling and Burns rusty voice so I'm happy.

7/10

I don't know why, but this movie has endless re-watch appeal for me...maybe because it contains one of Dustin Hoffman's most powerful and practically forgotten performances.

Serenity (2019)

The only things good about this were Diane Lane looking like she looks and the laughs I got laughing at it. Matthew McConaughey plays it straight and it just doesn't work in a movie this asinine. Anne Hathaway was bad and miscast. She's just not attractive enough for the part. I don't know what's up with Diane Lane agreeing to appear in this. She had such a small and irrelevant part but thank god because seeing her was about the only pleasure I got from this stupid movie.

China Girl 1987

Romeo & Juliet meets Big Trouble In Little China and the MJ - Beat It video.
Classic forbidden love story, Montagues vs Capulets only this time; chinese triad vs I-talian cosa nostra.
Very eighties! Cool nostalgic re-watch.

Serenity (2019)

The only things good about this were Diane Lane looking like she looks and the laughs I got laughing at it. Matthew McConaughey plays it straight and it just doesn't work in a movie this asinine. Anne Hathaway was bad and miscast. She's just not attractive enough for the part. I don't know what's up with Diane Lane agreeing to appear in this. She had such a small and irrelevant part but thank god because seeing her was about the only pleasure I got from this stupid movie.
Diane Lane = pleasure in any movie .

'Aguierre, The Wrath of God' (1972)

Dir.: Werner Herzog

Crazy film. No idea how they shot some of the scenes but that's Herzog's devotion to his craft. Kinski is mesmerizing in this. His screen presence is huge and those piercing blue eyes just follow the viewer round. I think at one point he slaps a horse in the face. Lust, greed and power are the main themes, and Aguierre says at one point "Wealth is far more than gold - it's power than fame". How apt. Darkly comic in places too.

I imagine this was a huge inspiration for films like Embrace of the Serpent. There is also a very nice eerie electro score too.

The music's excellent isn't it? I don't remember him slapping a horse – he's supposed to have had quite an affinity with animals. I forget when he was holding that tiny sloth-like creature behind the scenes, whether it was this or Fitzcarraldo. And the monkey bit is funny.

Re-watch of Requiem for a dream (2000) casting Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly ,Marlon Wayans

No need to say more, loved the movie first time, loved it this time, soundtrack is amazing, psychological effects such as repeating scenes on point, acting was great (especially when Leto and Ellen had a talk before they went into madness, same with Jennifer and Leto both knowing the promise is a lie.

I made a friend watch it with me and he was breathless afterwards (needless to say the last 15 minutes were pretty crazy)

Good watch,maybe in a couple of years I can give it another watch.

I just watched Perfect produced by Breaker. It was awesome, deep and absolute eye-candy - 10/10.

The Wild Party (Dorothy Arzner, 1929)

Ok once it manages to find its groove, but still not a watch to rave about

Last Tango in Paris (1972)

1st watching for years. This film isn't really erotic visually but there is an underlying attraction in the doomed relationship between Paul and Jeanne. Both actors are incredible so I was a disturbed about Maria Schneiders revelations in later years that Bertolucci took advantage of her youth and innocence. There's a few hard to watch scenes (esp Paul wailing on this wife) and some scenes are just downright (unintentionally) hilarious! The whole film really is excellent.

Unregistered User
I know I have seen Thelma, but, literally cannot remember a single scene.

I like Huppert a lot too. I sometimes wish she weren’t in so very many movies, but the French are very loyal to their stars. Catherine Deneuve is another one who, maybe, has had too many starring rôles.

Very true, Binoche as well!

Unregistered User
.................................................................................................... ......................................

'Thirst' (2009)

Dir.: Park Chan Wook

I'm nearly up to date with Chan Wook-Park's filmography now. This won't break the top 3 but his messed up plots and lovely visuals never disappoint. Priest vampire killers are not my genre but Chan Wook could probably get me to watch anything.

7.2/10

[/quote]

Top 3 being the Vengeance Trilogy?

Glad you liked LTCT. Madcap is a good way to describe it!

Evidence (2013) – 7/10

Spoilers for the film and also for The Omen :

WARNING: spoilers below
A generous rating for the ideas but I'm left with a feeling of it being idiotic.

The beginning is quite a chore as the found footage characters are so awful — I have to confess I went all Joan Rivers and thought 'if anyone needed to die it was these guys' . Of course the denouement, which is clever on the face of it, changes a lot in retrospect, so my opinion might be different on [an unlikely] second watch.

I liked the almost bullet time opening and its uses later on; the way the title text increases in size is very effective and I've never seen anything like it before, or at least done as well as it is here. The direction probably didn't live up to these elements.

One of the most stupid aspects is the journalists releasing footage of hideous carnage on prime time television, which made me recall the whacking great front page newspaper photo of an impaled Patrick Troughton in The Omen; plus I was questioning how feasible the "snuff" film's editing would have been in the timescale.

Ultimately I got to see Radha Mitchell again and only watched it because she was in it .

Unregistered User

Holiday (2018)

Nice imagery filled with horrible people and a horrible rape scene.

Too Old to Die Young (2019)

Cant put down words how much I loved this. Cinematography, music, acting, as close to perfect as I could hope for. As much as I adore Refns other work, this has to be his best.

Full marks easy.

The Bleeder (2016) 4 out of 5.
Tyson - the movie (2008) 3.5 out of 5.

A Mighty Wind (2003)

This one's for @lenslady, because she's a big folk music fan. Directed by Christopher Guest, and featuring many of his stock players, this mockumentary is so adept at seeming like a real documentary that it's easy to miss the satire and its lampooning dialogue.

Guest is a master at this style of film, but despite perfect performances from most of the cast, along with their ability to play musical instruments and sing, it didn't tickle my funny bone in the same way as did Guest's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind's send-up of Hollywood.

It may be that Guest is past his prime today, but there are a dozen subjects I'd love to see him satirize...

~Doc