Thunder Road

→ in
Tools    

I went to the cinema to see Thunder Road expecting a dark comedy, despite a couple of laughs, this was not what i found. The story of a Texas policeman, struggling to cope with the recent death of his mother along with problems at home and work, absolutely floored me.

Jim Cummings (star, writer and first-time director) gives such heart to what could easily be a caricature that I had a knot in my stomach from the first scene to the last just willing this broken man to be ok. As a depiction of a repressed, troubled man this felt more true to life than anything i can recall seeing on screen, a scene where Jim is trying to connect with his daughter but can't vocalise what he want's to say was an absolute gut-punch.

In the screening I attended there were a lot of people laughing at more points than I was which I think shows it can appeal to a wide range of people for different reasons. I saw this a week ago and it has been on my mind almost constantly since, I can't wait to see what Cummings does next.

I went to the cinema to see Thunder Road expecting a dark comedy, despite a couple of laughs, this was not what i found. The story of a Texas policeman, struggling to cope with the recent death of his mother along with problems at home and work, absolutely floored me.
I understand the serious tone that you found with this movie, but I understand there are things in the film that might make people laugh, but they are very nervous laughs. I found this movie heartbreaking and, like you, am looking forward to what else Jim Cummings does.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I found it to be very genuine. Any moment can be humor followed by sadness. This was the most interesting film I've seen this year.