The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A bit of honorable mention for two of the ones that didn't make it:

firstly, Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

I knew for a FACT there was NO WAY this was going to show up but, also, for the amount of love I have and the huge amount of rewatches, it would have been a crime NOT to put it on my list.
Kung Fu Hustle is an excellent comedic Tip of the Hat to the old Kung Fu films of the Seventies with a few references to other films as well. With some great physical comedy that I will burst out laughing to every single time I watch this, it is also a film that I purposely go with the Dubbed version simply because the dialogue is funnier than the subtitled.
Stephen Chow is solid as the inept gangster wannabe that, like a lot of old flicks becomes a Master.
It's tongue-in-cheek and reverence to the old genre mixed beautifully together and just ALL KINDS of fun!!

Next, Pickpocket (1959)

Pickpocket (1959)
This as been my introduction to Robert Bresson and it's got me pretty excited to explore even more of his work.

Michel, a young man who lives in squalor, with a superior indifference for "normal life", has become a pickpocket. To the disappointment of his best friend, Jacques, and to Jeanne, a caring neighbor of his dying mother. As well as the Police Inspector who suspects him and continually follows him in an attempt to catch him in the act.

What I found captivating, or rather, the multiple aspects that resulted in my captivation is the sheer genius of a minimalist director who so successfully creates suspense without the usual "tricks" of the trade, such as an intense musical score to provoke emotions or even an intensity in the characters' actions and emotions. Instead, using very clever camera angles and close-ups of the pickpocketing. Speaking of, Bresson also incorporates a few lessons and thereby, bringing a technical deftness to Michel's growing craft, that adds to the suspense of every time his hand slips into someone's purse, their coat jacket, or takes hold of someone's wrist to steal their watch.
While one could argue that the lack of emotion of the characters may be seen as a negative, it does add, for me, an additional layer to the emotional distance that grows wider with every scene between Michel and his friends as he goes deeper and deeper into his new livelihood.

A truly exceptional film that creates far more with incredibly far less than many films of this genre.

Movies Seen: 52 of 98 (53.06%)
1. Severely doubt it
2. Amélie (2001) #18
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
7. The Cranes are Flying (1957) #28
8. Yojimbo (1961) #42
9. Parasite (2019) #3
10. Not gonna happen
11. Harakiri (1962) #37
12. Le Samouraï (1967) #30
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
14. Rashomon (1950) #13
15. Pan's Labyrinth #91
16. Pickpocket (1959)
17. The 400 Blows (1959) #35
18. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
19. Paprika (2006) #100
20. La dolce vita (1960) #27
21. High and Low (1963) #41
22. Late Spring (1949) #26
23. Oldboy (2003) #21
24. Wild Strawberries (1957) #33
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

Rectification List
1. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) #43[/quote]

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Seventh Seal for the recent All-Time Refresh Countdown, but the movie was only okay for me because it was not what I had expected based on what I had heard about it. I rewatched it for this countdown hoping that I would like it more now that I knew what to expect, but I guess it's just not my type of movie.

Parasite was one of the first few movies that I watched for this countdown, and I liked it, but I thought it wasn't quite up to all the hype surrounding it after the Oscars. Having said that, it might have made my list if I had watched less movies, but it just got pushed down my list as I watched more movies, and it eventually just dropped off of it.

I forgot the opening line.
The Seventh Seal was my #2 - a meditation on the existence of God (what I just think about as a philosophy of death) that I enjoyed far more than I ever expected to. Whenever I approach a film with such stature I truly believe that I won't admire it as much as it has been admired over the years. With The Seventh Seal that wasn't true. It had a profound impact on me - although I'll admit to really wishing I loved more obscure films that I can whip out and surprise people with. But maybe this film has been pushed aside a bit lately, and the surprise really does come from me loving this film as much as to give it the #2 spot (if we hadn't of all voted it into the #4 spot I could much more easily adopt this point of view.) It's surprisingly accessible - foregoing much of a customary narrative in favour of addressing it's audience directly with it's musings. When I decided that a more film-focused profile banner was needed, I couldn't resist what I find to be one of cinema's most powerful images - Death's dance with his conquests after sweeping aside the best humanity has to offer. Checkmate.

Parasite was my #11. Only two films on my list released in the last 10 years or so have been tested as to whether they've gone up or down in my estimation, and Parasite started very high, and then went up from there. I really think this is one that will stand the test of time. It translates so very well - but the humour in Memories of Murder saw Bong Joon Ho grabbing me already in that respect - an area where for me foreign language films translate the least well. If that was all the film did in an exceedingly good way then fine - but it aced everything else. If I had to pick a film to watch on any given night that I've already seen, Parasite will invariably be in the running. Colourful, metaphorically powerful, hilarious, alive and electric - in a countdown where older films dominate due to their reach, Parasite has pulled off something of a miracle and I can't help but be pleased about that. It has even withstood the usual backlash that follows Best Picture Oscar winners. Awesome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 35
Films that have been on my radar : 14
Films I've never even heard of : 45
Films I've heard of : 4

Films from my list : 14

#3 - My #11 - Parasite - (2019) - South Korea
#4 - My #2 - The Seventh Seal - (1957) - Sweden
#6 - My #1 - Bicycle Thieves - (1948) - Italy
#8 - My #12 - Come and See - (1985) - Soviet Union
#9 - My #15 - 8 1⁄2 - (1963) - Italy
#16 - My #7 - Downfall - (2004) - Germany
#18 - My #16 - Amélie - (2001) - France
#21 - My #20 - Oldboy - (2003) - South Korea
#25 - My #5 - Das Boot - (1981) - Germany
#43 - My #4 - Grave of the Fireflies - (1988) - Japan
#33 - My #10 - Wild Strawberries - (1957) - Sweden
#57 - My #21 - Memories of Murder - (2003) - South Korea
#70 - My #23 - Run Lola Run - (1998) - Germany
One pointer - My #25 - Audition - (1999) - Japan

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've seen 50 so far, and have a good feeling it will be 52 by the time the countdown is over, so I can say I've seen a majority of the movies. I don't know how on earth I left out Le Trou, A Man Escaped, A Woman In The Funes, Nights of Cabiria... While filling it out, the only trouble I had was with the last few. I admit when there was a "tie", I'd list a movie I thought was overlooked. If I wasn't so tired, I'd look to see if any of these movies are on Prime, Comcast, something with no commercials.

My guess the finalists will be. "Persona" at #2, and then "Seventh Samurai" at #1

-La Strada - 10/10
-The Battle of Algiers - 10/10

-Bicycle Thieves - 10/10

-The Seventh Seal - 10/10
-Wild Strawberries - 10/10
-Rashomon - 10/10
-M - 9/10
-Le Trou - 9/10
-A Woman In The Dunes - 8.5/10
-The 400 Blows - 8.5/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10
-A Man Escaped - 8/10
-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Close-Up- 8/10 -
-Pather Panchali- 8/10
-Late Spring - 8/10
-Tokyo Story - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Wings of Desire - 8/10
-La Dolce Vita - 7.5/10
-Harakari - 7.5/10
-Red Desert - 7.5/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-City of God - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-The Celebration- 7/10
-The Lives of Others - 7/10
-Parasite - 7/10

-Aguirre, The Wrath Of God - 7/10 it.
-Cinema Paradiso - 7/10
-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Z - 6/10
-8 1/2 - 5/10
-Stalker - 5/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10
-Le Haine - 4/10
-Pan's Labyrinth - 4/10

You still really think Léon Morin, prêtre and Bob le flambeur made it onto the list?
Not that there's anything wrong with either movie, I like them both.

Final countdown day. The suspense!

2 (first). Persona
1 (second). Seven Samurai
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Wow. Parasite, huh? Great movie but talk about recency bias... not on my list. Neither was the Seventh Seal, not even in the top 5 Bergman films. Yikes.

The trick is not minding
Thursday really building up the suspense here haha!

Going to echo what’s already been said, Most likely Seven Samurai with Persona taking the top spot.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Seven Samurai will win.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Plot twist: Nightbeast wins instead.
Plot twist: Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead wins instead.

I just realized it should've been my one-pointer instead. ;(

Called it a while ago; we all voted for Who Killed Captain Alex. It wins with 1000 points.

311 points, 16 lists
2. Persona

Director

Ingmar Bergman, 1966

Starring

Bibi Andersson, Liv Ullmann, Margaretha Krook, Gunnar Bjornstrand

375 points, 22 lists
1. Seven Samurai

Director

Akira Kurosawa, 1954

Starring

Toshiro Mifune, Takashi Shimura, Yoshio Inaba, Seiji Miyaguchi

Persona is my second favorite Bergman after Fanny and Alexander. I watched it only once at the beginning of 2012 - almost 10 years ago!!! I still remember it floored me. The acting and cinematography were out of this world. I do have to rewatch it, just like most Bergman movies, but oh well, maybe I will, maybe I won't. OK, I will, I will. Stop throwing these stones!

Seven Samurai is a film I watched twice. The first time I watched it, I thought it was amazing, but I preferred some other Kurosawa films I watched at the time. The second time was pure bliss. Seven Samurai may be the best amalgamation of epic and art ever made.

But still, if you think Seven Samurai won the countdown, think again.

"The farmers have won. Not us."

Dayum, none of the films on my list made it (safe for the one-pointer).

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
That's all, folks!

Take a look at the point totals - it's been close so far in the top 10, but that is a convincing win.

Ballots:

Persona: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 8th, 11th, 11th, 13th, 13th, 13th

Seven Samurai: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 9th, 9th, 11th, 11th, 11th, 14th, 14th, 15th, 15th, 18th, 23rd

Persona, as I revealed yesterday, was #3 on my ballot. It was like a bolt of lightning when I saw it for the first time. Not too far off the beaten path, but it contained enough bizarre scenes for it shake me awake and convince me that cinema was much deeper than what I had initially thought. When I initially watched it though, I was so hung over on trying to decode what every scene in it meant. I made a rough interpretation of what the film meant (one I'm not a fan of), but eventually decided that I much prefer feeling the emotions and feel of the film. As for explaining everything away, I'll let others worry about that. I know that the film moved me and made me feel something which no other movie had ever made me feel and that's enough for me. The acting, dialogue, and the cinematography are also excellent.

Also, this is one of my favorite movie monologues ever:

I watched Seven Samurai over the summer for the first time. To be honest, I'm not sure that the 3.5 hour runtime was earned as some of the preparation/training scenes dragged for me, but the opening hour and final 1.5 hours are about as epic as any film has the right to be. A rewatch might get me to like it more.

I'm not sure that the 3.5 hour runtime was earned
Had to be that long. It's 30 minutes per samurai. Otherwise, it would've been Six Samurai.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I would also just like to say, at the end of the countdown, that it has been a privilege to be your host - I highly recommend hosting!

Massive thanks firstly to @Yoda for creating the ballot tool and for doing the design for the movie announcement posts and all the coding, and for being super patient, very helpful and all round awesome.

Thanks also to @Miss Vicky and @Holden Pike for help with the links.

Thanks to @Thief for the stats breakdowns by country and director.

And thanks to all of you for submitting your lists of movies and for joining in the thread and commenting on all the films that showed up. It's been a fun countdown.

See you next time for the 2000s/2010s/top 100 movies about sharks/whatever countdown.

Reply to Topic