The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It's looking like Day of Wrath is the highest ranking from the 2 40s HoFs. VERY cool, camo!!

on these two, I haven't heard of Brief Encounter, which, considering I'd pretty much know most of the ones from the 20s rank on and STILL get a few is pretty great to hear of movies I've missed out on.

As for The Big Sleep, it was one of the Bogie films I voted for at #6. I would have more than what I did but it had gotten SO lopsided that I cut a couple to give others a well-deserved position.
Part of the reason I went with this one included having his truly beautiful (at the time of the movie) wife to be, Lauren Bacall who was with him til his death.
Along with that, it is a great Chandler story with his Philip Marlowe character that Bogie seems to nail without even trying.
And like Citizens says, even though there is NO IDEA who the hell WAS the murderer, it really doesn't matter which really shows what a helluva good movie this is.

Seen: 51/80

My List:
#6 The Big Sleep (22)
#9 The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (33)
#11 Odd Man Out (55)
#14 Pinocchio (23)
#15 Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#22 Little Foxes (43)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Triumph (1 Pointer)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Oh, thank you so much for this. It made me smile.

I will post the films early today as I have a bunch of other things that I need to do. So I will get to the films now.

~20~

Director: Samuel Armstrong, James Algar, Bill Roberts, Paul Satterfield, Ben Sharpsteen, David D. Hand, Hamilton Luske, Jim Handley, Ford Beebe, T. Hee, Norman Ferguson & Wilfred Jackson
Producer: Walt Disney & Ben Sharpsteen
Distributor: RKO Pictures

248 Points - 16 Lists
(2nd; 4th; 5th-2x; 7th; 8th; 9th; 10th-2x; 11th;
13th; 14th; 15th; 17th; 18th; 20th)

~19~

Director: Ernst Lubitsch
Producer: Ernst Lubitsch
Distributor: MGM

254 Points - 17 Lists
(1st; 3rd-2x; 6th; 7th; 9th-2x; 10th; 11th; 12th;
13th; 15th-2x; 16th-2x; 21st-2x)

~18~

Director: Frank Capra
Producer: Frank Capra
Distributor: Warner Bros.

257 Points - 14 Lists
(1st; 2nd-2x; 3rd; 4th-2x; 7th; 9th-2x; 10th; 13th-2x; 15th-2x)

~17~

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Producer: Jack H. Skirball
Distributor: Universal Pictures

268 Points - 18 Lists
(2nd-2x; 5th-2x; 7th-2x;
9th; 10th; 11th; 12th; 14th-3x; 15th; 16th-2x; 20th; 21st)

All of the movies are caught up now. And I can't think of any other reason for any days to be skipped (and then combined with others). So we should be able to smoothly go through the rest of this until the end now.

I did have one of these movies on my list and that was Arsenic and Old Lace. I had it at #2. I know a lot of people don't care for it (and, of course, a lot of people do like it), but I always found it to be one of the funniest movies that I had ever seen.

Not sure if I've ever seen The Shop Around The Corner, have seen the other three but the only one I've watched recently enough to gauge is Shadow Of A Doubt which might have stood a squeak at a spot somewhere down toward the nether regions of my list had I made one but I think would probably have ended up missing the cut.

I think Fantasia is easily the worst of the 40s animated Disneys. It has spots of brilliance and the concept is great but I find it mostly mediocre. I seem to be in the minority on that opinion though and it did still get my vote.

The Shop Around The Corner Was #6 on my list Come to think of it I really should add it to my Top 10 movies on my profile.

Here's what I wrote about it, I think it's very special.

The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch, 1940)

Synopsis: Two employees at a small Budapest gift shop can't stand being in each others presences...They bicker and argue all the time. What they don't realize is that they have fallen in love with each other, anonymously...when each secretly sends a 'lonely hearts letter' to the newspapers personal ads and the other answers it.

Review: The Shop Around the Corner is a world unto itself. Ernst Lubitsch brings out the small moments that make up life. His focus is on the characters idiosyncrasies and by that we then experience their world.

The majority of the film takes place inside the shop, this gives us an intimate feel. Inside the shop, the lives of the sales people unfold for us. Their simple, yet telling actions allows us to connect to them in a personal way. Lubitsch understands people, this film is a showcase for his talents.

James Stewart is arguably one of the greatest actors of all time. His strength is in how he can 'play it small'. He can bring a dramatic moment to life by doing the opposite of what most actors do. At the end of his dialogue he often will lower his voice and trails it off to almost a whisper. This brings out his humanity, and he seems real to us. Here his character is perfectly tuned for the story.

Margaret Sullavan has top billing, with her name before Stewart's in the title sequence. Which seems odd as she wasn't as big of a star as Stewart at the time. Margaret didn't make very many movies and this is her most well known performance. It's a good one too. I liked her in this and she fits the character to a tee. Another producer might have went with a platinum blonde, glamor queen for more eye appeal and ticket sells, Lubitsch chose wisely with his leading lady.

Lubitsch is one of the great directors and The Shop Around the Corner is one of his great films.

In all my excitement about The Shop Around the Corner making the countdown, I forgot there were three other films.

None made my list....I've reviewed two of them and linked them.

Shadow of a Doubt
I really liked this one, I think it's better than Hitch's more well known Rope. Joseph Cotton was a member of Orson Welles' Mercury Theater performers and so you know this guy can act! Teresa Wright is very naturalistic in this psychological thriller.

Arsenic and Old Lace
Not a total favorite, but I still liked it enough. Well you can read my short review if you want to see what I rated this at.

Fantasia (Disney, 1940)

My favorite segment was the pixies which was very artistically done. As I watched this I realized this is an animated-1940's art house style, very conceptual film. My favorite music score was from the Nutcracker. Not really my cup of tea, but it was differently ground breaking film making.

My list so far:

2.The Lost Weekend
6.Dead at Night
7.Meshes of the Afternoon
9.Shadow of a Doubt
10.Kind Hearts and Coronets
11.Lifeboat
13.Mildred Pierce
14.How Green Was My Valley

Watched all four. Fantasia has a few of Disneys best scenes, it's uneven since it is a bunch of different shorts and some aren't that good but i think Bald Mountain and The Sorcerer's Apprentice are possibly the best things Disney have ever done and if it was all that quality i would have voted for it. I'm not a fan of Arsenic and Old Lace personally.

Shadow of a Doubt was my #16. This is what i posted about it:

Shadow of a Doubt

My 18th Hitchcock. Got to admit i was really looking forward to Rope so i went into this a bit disappointed, thankfully it didn't hurt my viewing though. For the record i'll be referring to Joseph Cotten as Charlie and Teresa Wright as his niece, so annoying they had the same name haha. Even though this is among his most praised films i really didn't have the slightest clue what it was about.

Loved the story. There was something just brilliant about watching a nice, wholesome all american family harbouring a complete psychopath while being completely unaware. Even further than that they all adored him. Right from the first time Charlie spoke this film took a very sinister tone, more than is usual for Hitch even. It really was due to the fantastic performance from Joseph Cotten, during the moments with his family he seemed sincerely pleasant but he did such a great job of quickly turning sinister. One of the best things about the film was the mystery surrounding Charlie; it was obvious that he had done something wrong but exactly what that was was kept for so long, i mean even during the scene where the detective tells his niece that he might be a criminal that's all he says. The reveal was fantastic and made the rest of the film so suspenseful. His relationship with his niece was so creepy, and i mean from when he first meets her at the train station: she turns around to speak to the rest of the family and he gives her this unnerving glare. Their relationship was pretty genius actually; using the obsessive, curious niece as the source of tension through her snooping around was a great idea and it really paid off. Who knew him hiding a page of a paper could be so suspenseful. I'm actually not sure if i'd call Teresa Wrights performance great, there was something off about it but i thought her character was great so it didn't really matter.

This had some good humour too. Particularly from Emma who i really loved. Such a nice slightly naive woman. Loved the part where she is talking to the detectives who are pretending they are from a survey. At this point i really don't know what to say about the way Hitchs films looks. They never cease to amaze me and this was no different. Loved the camerawork here, right from the start with that scene where he is being followed that looked incredible i knew this would be great visually.

Anyway no point in rambling on. All else i'll say is that the ending is one of my favourites from Hitchcock, it's seriously morbid. Great film.
Shop Around The Corner was my #3. Stunning film, much better than the Jimmy Stewart christmas related film that will be higher. This is what i posted about it:

The Shop Around The Corner -
+

This was my first Lubitsch and i thought it was pretty great. The comedy was pretty light, a bit silly at times but i think there was just enough of it that mixed with the drama it becomes a very entertaining and surprisingly touching film. That whole long scene when he is leaving the store after resigning/being fired had such a dreary tone that it had much more of an impact than it probably should've, really well done. The only scene that was a bit underwhelming for me was actually the ending, it wasn't bad i think it was just a case of high expectations for them finally getting together because i thought everything else was handled so well that it was just a bit underwhelming. Still that was following the really sweet between Matuschek and the new shop boy.

Stewart seemed alot more subdued than usual here. It was interesting how separate both his professional and personal self was to each other; during work he was a bit of a serious hardass while in his conversations about his correspondence he showed a much more vulnerable, lonely side it was a great way of making him sympathetic while still keeping the main conflict believable. Such a great, subtle performance from Stewart: maybe my favourite from him so far. Loved Margaret Sullavan too, i'm not familiar with her i'm not even sure if i've heard of her before. Again i think her character and performance were balanced just right between Stewarts adversary at work as well as just a driven woman trying to get by and do as well at her job as possible. She did seem a bit overly harsh and snippy at him during the restaraunt scene, he had just lost his job that day and he really wasn't being anything other than nice to her. Still her actions kind of even out because Kralik was being deceptive since he knew he was the person she was waiting on, and her attitude was at least partially caused by nervousness from waiting on this mystery man. Solid performance by Frank Morgan. I think one of the most intriguing things about the story was his reasons for Stewart falling out of favour with him, i pretty much figured it was him suspecting Kralik of having an affair with his wife; he was great in these scenes especially the one were he let Kralik go at the start he seemed pretty eccentric and silly but once this started and he began to give Kralik the cold shoulder you can sense the frosty atmosphere in their scenes together and that this was something genuinely hurting him personally. The rest of the cast were good too, the only one i wasn't crazy about was Pepi who came across a bit too cartoonish, he wasn't in it much though so it isn't that much of a problem.

Great film. Great introduction to Lubitsch, i'm planning on watching all of his 40s films over the next month or so since there's only another six.
Seen: 43/84
My List: 12/25

02. Letter From An Unknown Woman
03. The Shop Around The Corner
04. How Green Was My Valley
13. Bambi
14. Day of Wrath
15. My Darling Clementine
16. Shadow of a Doubt
17. Meet Me In St. Louis
18. Red River
20. Nightmare Alley
23. The Philadelphia Story
24. Pinocchio

Also i watched Dead of Night the other day for my October Horror Challenge. I thought it was solid and fun but it couldn't be a favourite because i thought that it was basically a collection of the weaker Twilight Zone episodes. The dummy Twilight Zone episode blows the Dead of Night one out of the water for example. The wraparounds and characters were good though so i understand why the voters like it so much.

Also i watched Dead of Night the other day for my October Horror Challenge. I thought it was solid and fun but it couldn't be a favourite because i thought that it was basically a collection of the weaker Twilight Zone episodes. The dummy Twilight Zone episode blows the Dead of Night one out of the water for example. The wraparounds and characters were good though so i understand why the voters like it so much.
Talky Tina's eyes are creepy as fk.