Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~25~

Late Spring

Director: Yasujiro Ozu
Producer: Takeshi Yamamoto
Distributor: Shochiku

191 Points - 12 Lists
(1st; 2nd; 5th; 6th; 7th; 8-3x; 17th; 18th; 19th; 22nd)

~24~

Director: Billy Wilder
Producer: Charles Brackett
Distributor: Paramount Pictures

197 Points - 15 Lists
(2nd; 5th; 7th; 8th-2x; 10th; 12th; 13th; 14th; 16th; 18th; 19th;
20th; 22nd; 24th)

~23~

Director: Ben Sharpsteen, Hamilton Luske, Bill Roberts, Norman Ferguson,
Jack Kinney, Wilfred Jackson & T. Hee
Producer: Walt Disney
Distributor: RKO Pictures

204 Points - 17 Lists
(2nd; 3rd; 7th; 8th-2x; 10th; 12th; 13th; 14th; 16th; 18th-2x; 19th; 20th; 23rd-2x; 24th)

I'm so sorry, Vamp. I'm amazed by your strength in doing this thread still. God bless you and I pray for your comfort in the coming days.

I just want to say something to everyone involved with this countdown. I haven't been around because the absolute worst thing that could've happened with my mother has happened. And it has been a hellish past 3 days for me.

But I do have to do other things. I don't want to dwell on the terrible unhappiness that I feel right now. So I will finish this countdown. I will start to be faithful with it until the end. The only exception will probably be Friday. I know I won't do anything that day.

Anyway, I just wanted to say something about why I haven't been here, and I want to thank all of you again for your thoughts and prayers over the past couple of weeks. I did really appreciate it.
SilentVamp does so much for this forum. I told her she shouldn't be taking on all this, but if she wants to do it, she wants to do it.

I am truly sorry to hear this. Can't believe it would happen at a time like this.

Actually, yes I can because this is exactly when these kinds of things happen.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm going to respectfully make my comments about the last group.

Two more from my list. Kind Hearts and Coronets is a wonderful dark comedy with a terrific Dennis Price performance as a man seeking murderous revenge on a family he feels led to his mother's misery and death. Valerie Hobson and Joan Greenwood compete for his affections, and the film's biggest coup is Alec Guinness' portrayal of all eight members of the family. And, of course, Pinnochio.
Pinocchio (Ben Sharpsteen & Hamilton Luske, 1940)

Disney's second animated feature is a wonderful family film but it's also much more. Pinocchio not only tells the story of how an inanimate object can become a human being but it tells the story in a subtle manner which can be seen as an allegory for those who believe in such things as spiritual awakening and resurrection. Pinocchio is a little wooden puppet who is the pride and joy of carver Geppetto (voice of Christian Rub). One night, a wandering cricket named Jiminy (voice of Cliff Edwards) stops at Geppetto's house to try to keep warm and witnesses the man wish upon the wishing star for Pinocchio to become a real boy. Later, the Blue Fairy (voice of Evelyn Venable) comes to the house and animates Pinocchio, telling him that he can become a real flesh-and-blood boy if he proves himself to be brave, truthful and unselfish. Since Pinocchio needs lessons in these matters, the Fairy appoints Jiminy as his "Conscience".

The next morning, Pinocchio bids goodbye to his father and his cat Figaro and goldfish Cleo and heads off to school, but he falls into temptation before he even reaches there. It's difficult for Jiminy to keep up with Pinocchio who becomes an "actor" after being sold by the poorly-named Honest John (voice of Walter Catlett) to the menacing Stromboli (voice of Charles Judels). Later, Pinocchio goes to an even-more terrible place where boys can do whatever antisocial behavior they choose until they literally turn themselves into jackasses. With Pinocchio gone, Geppetto goes in search of him and ends up in the belly of the huge whale Monstro. That's when it's up to Pinocchio to search for and try to save his father.

Pinocchio is charming, lovingly-animated, surprisingly scary, teaches simple life lessons unobtrusively, is very funny and contains some wonderful songs. Besides the beautiful opener "When You Wish Upon a Star", it contains the wonderful "Give a Little Whistle", "Hi-Diddle-Dee" and "I've Got No Strings". The animation accompanying the songs is of extremely high visual quality and wit. In fact, sometimes it's difficult to believe how eye-popping the imagery is in this almost 70-year-old classic. Without benefit of computers, there is a remarkable 3-D quality to many of the shots, and some of the scenes underwater seem mind-boggling in their complexity and believabilty. Pinocchio was always my fave early Disney cartoon when I was younger, not only because it had the best story but because the animation was incredible. Seeing it on DVD, it truly is timeless as it seems to have just been made yesterday.

Pinocchio gets scarier the longer it progresses. Stromboli is a fiend who treats the "living" wooden boy the same way he does his fire wood. The Coachman who takes the unruly boys to Pleasure Island is devilish, and there are plenty of freaky scenes at the island which can only be described as horrific. Monstro is a truly awe-inspiring creature who can move extremely quickly and generate massive power; think the shark in Jaws, only a hundred times larger. Pinocchio does seem to mix a large amount of adventure in with its fantasy, and it's not surprising that the film's final song ends at just about the time that Stromboli gets a hold of his ax.

Even with all the qualities mentioned above, Pinocchio earns some extra credit for actually having a very deep story. It's true that you may find some parallels between the tales of Geppetto and Monstro and that of Noah and the great fish, but Noah didn't have a wooden boy attempting to be brave, truthful and unselfish in it. Without giving away the ending of Pinocchio for those few who may not know it, it does seem to grow out of a self-realization which is taught by many of the world's religions. It can also be argued that many of Disney's animated features repeat the concept of bringing the dead back to life and creatures being transformed by some important acts which they accomplish near the end of the story. It's just that Pinocchio did it first and, at least to me, the most-honestly, so that's why it's one of the few (along with Dumbo) which can move me to tears when that little bug reprises his trademark song as the film ends.
Warning - Contains the racist version of "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe"

The Lost Weekend (Billy Wilder, 1945)
- Still powerful Oscar winner about dipsomania has good acting and a wonderfully eerie theremin score by Miklos Rozsa.
Seen - 78/78
My List
1. Dumbo (35)
5. A Matter of Life and Death (34)
6. Heaven Can Wait (63)
7. The Red Shoes (38)
8. Pinocchio (23)
10. The Devil and Daniel Webster (46)
11. Red River (56)
13. Yankee Doodle Dandy (66)
14. The Little Foxes (43)
16. A Letter to Three Wives (76)
17. Meet Me in St. Louis (48)
18. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (31)
19. Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
20. Sullivan's Travels (68)
23. Miracle on 34th Street (53)

Vamp, I wish I could say something to lift your spirits, even if only for a moment. I know from talking to you that you're a good daughter and you did good. You cared...and gave a lot of yourself and that says alot about you. Your in our thoughts and prayers.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Like Mark, Pinocchio and Kind Hearts and Coronets were both on my list.
Really not sure if I have much to add to his excellent description of Pinocchio. The movie both scared and enchanted me as a kid and as I grew older I found the artwork impressive and a depth to the story I never noticed when I was younger.
I had actually voted for this Disney thinking that both Bambi and Dumbo had a more stronger fan support, loving all three of these movies.

As for KHaC, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with serial killing of one family was done with such charm and wit. And of course, the true star, for me, is Alec Guinness portraying all of them.

I have seen Day of Wrath in our 40s II HoF though I did not vote for it. Pretty impressive to see it so high on the list - very cool.

Have not seen any of the others though I would like to catch Letter From an Unknown Woman at some point.

Seen: 50/78

My List:
#9 The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (33)
#11 Odd Man Out (55)
#14 Pinocchio (23)
#15 Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)

#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#22 Little Foxes (43)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Triumph (1 Pointer)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just want to say something to everyone involved with this countdown. I haven't been around because the absolute worst thing that could've happened with my mother has happened. And it has been a hellish past 3 days for me.

But I do have to do other things. I don't want to dwell on the terrible unhappiness that I feel right now. So I will finish this countdown. I will start to be faithful with it until the end. The only exception will probably be Friday. I know I won't do anything that day.

Anyway, I just wanted to say something about why I haven't been here, and I want to thank all of you again for your thoughts and prayers over the past couple of weeks. I did really appreciate it.

So I will get the past 2 days and tonight's movies posted.

@SilentVamp, I'm so sorry about your mother. I know that sometimes it's easier to get through times like this by keeping yourself busy, but if you need to take some time off and postpone this countdown for a while, we'll understand. Don't push yourself to finish this because of us. You should do what's best for you.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Letter From an Unknown Woman
Day of Wrath
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Late Spring
The Lost Weekend
Pinocchio

The Lost Weekend was the only movie from this set that made my list. It's one of Ray Milland's best movies, and it was #18 on my list.

Letter From an Unknown Woman and Pinocchio were both considered for my list, but I just couldn't find room for either of them.

Kind Hearts and Coronets was on my watchlist for this countdown, but I ran out of time and wasn't able to watch it before submitting my list. It's still sitting near the top of my watchlist, so hopefully I'll get to it soon.

I've seen both Day of Wrath and Late Spring, but neither was considered for my list.

My list:
2) Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
3) Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
4) The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)
11) Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
15) Bambi (1942)
16) The Philadelphia Story (1940)
18) The Lost Weekend (1945)
21) The Uninvited (1944)

Deepest condolences on your loss SV.
If curating this list is providing a welcome distraction then I'm glad you're continuing and Mofo is able to provide some small respite during this difficult time but if you do need to take time out then do so ... 'tis only a list.

The Lost Weekend did make my list, just barely. Great movie, though it's depiction of alcoholism might seem a little stilted today, but the emotions and the drama, and the truth of what it's conveying, still come through. It was quite ahead of its time.

My List:

10. Out of the Past (#32)
11. The Philadelphia Story (#37)
12. Stray Dog (#64)
17. Drunken Angel (#54)
18. The Ox-Bow Incident (#39)
19. Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
22. Gaslight (#41)
24. The Lost Weekend (#24)
25. Five Graves to Cairo (1-pointer)

And SV, sorry for your loss and all the heartache you've had to go through recently.

I loved Letter From an Unknown Woman enough to take my top spot, but there were other movies I loved that much as well. I ended up putting it as my #5.

Late Spring would be in a dead heat with An August Afternoon for my favorite movie from director Ozu. It was my #8.

Kind Hearts and Coronets is a brilliant dark comedy with a couple of brilliant performances. I had it at #14.

I loved Pinocchio as a kid and I'm sure I'd enjoy it now.

I liked Day of Wrath but not nearly as much as the director's Ordet.

The Lost Weekend was just ok for me, disappointing since I relate to drunks so well.

My list-

#2 Children of Paradise (30)
#3 How Green Was My Valley (40)
#4 The Ox-Bow Incident (39)
#5 Letter From an Unknown Woman (28)
#6 The Little Foxes (43)
#8 Late Spring (25)
#9 My Darling Clementine (58)
#11 White Heat (42)
#12 The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (31)
#14 Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
#15 Scarlet Street (73)
#19 The Devil and Daniel Webster (46)
#20 Mildred Pierce (45)
#21 Key Largo (77)
#22 Red River (56)
#24 Pride of the Yankees (59)
#25 Sergeant York (50)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Late Spring was my number ONE!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.