Movie Tab II

Tools    

I don't think Bewitched is a great movie, but I think it's better than most people rate it. It's at least as good as an average rom-com.
is probably my average rom-com rating, so I don't necessarily disagree with you. On the other hand I wouldn't call Bewitched a straight-up rom-com because it's a little too self-referentially bad; it feels more like a mild spoof of rom-coms to me. The problem is it doesn't have enough goofiness to fill a whole movie (it's at least 20 minutes too long) and nothing in the first two acts gives you any reason to care about the third one (in fact it gives you good reasons not to).

A system of cells interlinked
No Country for Old Men

(Coens, 2007)

Dang - forgot how harsh some scenes are! Just the second time I have seen this - not sure why it took me so long to return.

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her (Jean-Luc Godard)

Alphaville (Jean-Luc Godard)

Last Year at Marienbad (Alain Resnais, 1961)

Ashes (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2012)

Coming Attractions (Peter Tscherkassky, 2010)

That Day (Raoul Ruiz, 2003)

The 400 Blows (François Truffaut, 1959)

Au hasard Balthazar (Robert Bresson, 1966)

Trance (Danny Boyle, 2013)

Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)

The Thing From Another World (Christian Nyby [& Howard Hawks], 1951)

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (David Zucker, 1988)

In His Life: The John Lennon Story (David Carson, 2000)

Lost Highway (David Lynch, 1997)

Wagon Master (John Ford, 1950)

Rebecca (Alfred Hitchcock, 1940)

The Quiet Man (John Ford, 1952)

El Dorado (Howard Hawks, 1966)

Donovan's Reef (John Ford, 1963)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

A Summer’s Tale (Eric Rohmer, 1996)

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (William Joyce & Brandon Oldenburg, 2011)

L’Eclisse (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962)

Red Desert (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1964)

Antonioni’s first color film is another visual essay on loneliness with some mental illness added in this time to the unusual environment.
Holiday For Lovers (Henry Levin, 1959)

The Rink (Charles Chaplin, 1916)

UnHung Hero (Brian Spitz, 2013)

Morgan! (Karel Reisz, 1966)

Morgan (David Warner) is an eccentric young man obsessed with wild animals and the personalities of the Russian Revolution. His just-divorced ex-wife Vanessa Redgrave finds his latest handiwork in bed.
So You're Going to Be a Father (Richard Bare, 1947)

Poltergeist (Gil Kenan, 2015)
+
The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1973)

The Four Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1974)

Athos (Oliver Reed) warns Milady (Faye Dunaway) not to kill D’Artagnan (Michael York), and he reminds her that their past together makes him wish she was dead.
Valentino (Ken Russell, 1977)
-
The George Raft Story (Joseph M. Newman, 1961)

A Place in the Sun (George Stevens, 1951)

Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
+

Some spectacular vehicular stunts occur near the beginning of the film with a particularly exposed Max (Tom Hardy) involved.
Focus (Glenn Ficarra & John Requa, 2015)
+
Ain't It Aggravatin' (David Barclay, 1954)

Woman in Gold (Simon Curtis, 2015)
+
Merchants of Doubt (Robert Kenner, 2014)

For the last 50 years, the disinformation about many important scientific studies has been supplied by the exact same non-scientists under the guise of “think tanks” sponsored by the businesses making billions of dollars to promote the status quo.

Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
+

Some spectacular vehicular stunts occur near the beginning of the film with a particularly exposed Max (Tom Hardy) involved.

So glad you liked it!

The Aviator (2004)

Dir. Martin Scorsese

Love this flick. The Aviator is beautifully shot and finds Leonardo DiCaprio at his absolute best along with Martin Scorsese at his almost best. I think if Leo should've won an Oscar for any role, it should've been this one. Coming in at just under 3 hours, the film moves along at a great pace and manages to one up itself with almost every scene.

A fantastic film that's so good, I almost can't believe it's a biopic. Only complaint is the non-ending. But, it's hardly an issue in the grand scheme of things.

Lava (James Ford Murphy, 2014) (Short)
+

Inside Out (Pete Docter and Ronaldo Del Carmen, 2015)
+

Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009) (Rewatch)
-

Allegro Non Troppo (Bruno Bozzetto, 1976) (Rewatch)

Beauty and the Beast (Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, 1991) (Rewatch)
+

Wow, that's a disgustingly high score for IB, MV.

I like the offbeat humor. Also watching Nazis getting killed or mutilated is always a good time.

Care for some gopher?
Her rating is just fine.

A system of cells interlinked
Insidious 3

(Whannell, 2015)

Yep - it was that time again! My horror-addicted GF had me sit down in front of some damn sequel to a film I just sort of liked. The first film was praised pretty highly for a horror flick, as it was directed by James Wan (The Conjuring), a guy that has actually gained some pretty decent skills over the years as far as atmosphere, and he tends to play with convention a bit. However, I wasn't a big fan of the second film.

So, with that in mind, I guess I have to say that Insidious 3 was a step up from Part 2, mostly due to an impressive performance (for the most part) by Lin Shane. There were some fairly effective scenes, and again the film played around a bit with convention. Imagine my surprise when I saw that this thing was directed by Leigh Whannell. I just can't stand this man's work, usually. That said, he did a decent job directing this flick. Definitely the best by FAR from this clown, at least of the material I have been exposed to.

Alas, Insidious 3 is still a sort of run-of-the-mill affair, not bringing anything novel to the table, and leaning once again too heavily on the startling jump scare. The film startles the viewer over and over, and to me, that's just not great film making when it comes to horror. Compare this film to the much better, much more suspenseful It Follows, and this thing falls flat, fast.

Finished here. It's been fun.

How Green Was My Valley
++

My lord this is one of the most beautiful,touching, heartwarming, and poetic films I have ever seen. A triumph on every possible front, from the miraculous direction to the beautiful script. There were many times where I was close to crying like a little child, each frame contains so much...beauty. I can't find the correct words to describe this honestly, can anyone though really? This masterwork has gained the reputation of being the film that beat out Citizen Kane for best-picture. I adore Kane, but if it had to lose to any film it would be this. I am not one for hyperbole, at least I hope not, but this is arguably one of the 50 greatest American films. Wait change that, it is one of the greatest american films, no doubt about it. This is only my 5th from Ford, but if he has anything up his sleeve that is even remotely as beautiful as this then I would be shocked. I won't even bother writing anything about the other great films on this post, none of them compare to this one.

Damn.

Re-Animator
+

El Sur

Mad Max:Fury Road

Red Desert

Always great to see someone find a film they truly love, . I will have to check it out, also +rep for Reanimator

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Top Secret! (ZAZ, 1984)
+
Barbarella (Roger Vadim, 1968)

Pitch Perfect 2 (Elizabeth Banks, 2015)

O Lucky Man! (Lindsay Anderson, 1973)

Helen Mirren, the daughter of a corrupt capitalist, has her father name young coffee seller Malcolm McDowell his personal assistant and this changes his future.
Cinderella Liberty (Mark Rydell, 1973)

Kaleidoscpe (Jack Smight, 1966)

Joshua (Jon Purdy, 2002)

Maps to the Stars (Davld Cronenberg, 2014)
+

Schizophrenic burn victim (Mia Wasakowska), recently released from a sanitorium, returns to Hollywood to try to make amends to her family and find work to support herself, but her haunted past reemerges.
The Bobo (Robert Parrish, 1967)

Enter the Dragon (Robert Clouse, 1973)

The Walking Stick (Eric Till, 1970)
+
The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson, 2001)
-

Family patriarch Gene Hackman has alienated his entire family, and now he’s unhappy to find that accountant Danny Glover has proposed to his ex-wife.
Soylent Green (Richard Fleischer, 1973)
+
The Moviemakers: The Story of Lolly Madonna (Richard Saland, 1973)

House of Strangers (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1949)
+
The Host (Bong Joon-Ho, 2006)
-

The man-made monster who took his granddaughter comes after snack shop owner Byun Hee-bong.
That Darn Cat (Bob Spiers, 1997)

Possessed (Curtis Bernhardt, 1947)

Kobe Bryant's Muse (Gotham Chopra, 2015)

Resolution (Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead, 2013)
+

A mind-bender superficially about a man (Peter Cilella, in the mirror) performing an intervention on his friend suffering from drug addiction turns into a treatise on the nature of reality, what's the difference between a God, an alien and a monster and how can people see their own future playing on a TV before it's happened? Bill Oberst Jr. is a neighbor who may provide some clues to these questions.