How are your DVDs organized?

Tools    

Alphabetically. A set for the VHS's. One of for the DVD's. One for the BluRay's.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
mine are sorted by genre.. for example are 80s movies,dramas, comedy but are in a four shelf bookcase. i maybe running out of room or either need to rearrange it again. the house could be a total mess but the movies have to be in order!!

mine are just in dvd stands in no order, and a couple of blue rays just in little stack next to tv.

Chronologically on bookshelves...videos aren't in any order, they're on another bookshelf.

By Genre and Aphibetically e.g Action is First and then all the actions are in alphabetical order and they are all on a ten shelf custom made book shelf to fit DVD's.

I have thousands of DVDs so I have them arranged every which way except alphabetically. I've got lots of them sorted by director, and then chronologically within each filmography. After that it's mostly by genre, though I do have a handful of my favorite comedians separated out (minus their films that may be in with a specific director, which overrides actor). Within each genre I have it sorted either loosely by era or subsets of the genre, for instance with the Westerns (that aren't already in the appropriate Peckinpah, Leone, Ford, Hawks, Eastwood, etc. section) I have them pretty much grouped by time period, '40s and '50s, '60s and '70s, Spaghettis, comic Westerns, etc. And for example in my crime and Noir area I have heist films separated from police procedurals, etc.

All the TV series are together, except for a couple individual titles in the appropriate director shelves (such as "Amazing Stories" in with Spielberg, "Crime Story" with Michael Mann, "Twin Peaks" with David Lynch, etc.). The others again are more or less by genre, but within the sitcoms for example I'll group workplace comedies ("Sports Night", "News Radio", "WKRP in Cincinnati", "Taxi", "The Office", etc.) together, and I keep say the crime dramas and comedies together ("NYPD Blue", "Hill Street Blues", "Barney Miller", "The Job", "Sledgehammer", "Homicide: Life on the Street", etc. but not "Police Squad!" because it's with the Zucker Brothers stuff).

So, as I say: just about every method EXCEPT alphabetically, which is completely dull to me and no way to love a collection. Do you have your books or CDs sorted alphabetically, or by author and artist and genre? Even when I was just starting my DVD or my LD collections, I never kept them alphabetically.

But, you know: I'm crazy and compulsive. Hell, I still have about five hundred Laser Discs.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I moved cross-country, so I got rid of the cases (special editions excluded), put them in sleeves, and then put those alphabetically in a media box. I use a program called Delicious Library to catalog my movies, so I can just search by actor/director/genre, etc. It's pretty handy. TV on DVD is in a different section.

Alphabetically has always worked for my dvds, but I organize my books by library on congress call number /nerd.

I have a couple of friends who are really obsessive about arranging their dvd collections (and their books). As I'm not a really tidy person this always seems a bit weird. I did used to have my dvds just piled on teh shelves but then I've got too many now and have to be able to find one without taking ages, so I've got mine in blocks according to countries of origin (I have loads of foreign films). I kinda like not having any other order cos when I go to look for one then I have to riffle through others and you get reminded of things you've not watched for a while.

Alphabetical, blue ray separate, children's separate and boxed or special editions that are odd in shape or size at the very end alphabetical as well.

Alphabetical, blue ray separate, children's separate and boxed or special editions that are odd in shape or size at the very end alphabetical as well.
Those weird sized ones are tricky, aren't they? When I had less dvds I used to have a dvd tower, but I had to take the box sets out of alphabetical order and put them someplace else. So annoying.

Of course, I'm one of those weird people who gets annoyed that books are different sizes and don't look right on my shelf, so I might have different annoyances than most

Those weird sized ones are tricky, aren't they? When I had less dvds I used to have a dvd tower, but I had to take the box sets out of alphabetical order and put them someplace else. So annoying.

Of course, I'm one of those weird people who gets annoyed that books are different sizes and don't look right on my shelf, so I might have different annoyances than most
Your not alone! its a touch of OCD or maybe high amount of OCD!!!

People Need To Re-Read **** Twice on Here
overseas movies and movies without cases have their own section in the leather cd folder, i keep copied movies in a cd rack , and i keep my cased dvd under the cabinet stacked in a row next to each other. very un organised , but i try my best

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I recently alphabetized mine. I really enjoyed the entire process.

Mine are all in my family's huge TV Cabinet.

I have all my DVD's in alphabetical order & then I have them in my favourite Actors & Actresses such as:

Leonardo DiCaprio
Cameron Diaz
Audrey Hepburn
Kate Winslet

I moved cross-country, so I got rid of the cases (special editions excluded), put them in sleeves, and then put those alphabetically in a media box. I use a program called Delicious Library to catalog my movies, so I can just search by actor/director/genre, etc. It's pretty handy. TV on DVD is in a different section.

Alphabetically has always worked for my dvds, but I organize my books by library on congress call number /nerd.
I have mine in sleeves also, though I've lost....better word... relinquished most!

Mine are organized by genre. My horror section is huge, so I had to break it down even further: Zombies, Slashers, Monsters + more, lol. I did the A-Z thing for a while, but I just got tired of seeing the dvds in the same place for years

"Live forever or die trying"
rip the discs to a drive on a home media server. Alphabetizes it itself.

In general by genre but whenever I can I sub-organize them by director. I need a bigger shelf, they're making their way across the floor now. I'm really geeky about having my criterion dvds in spine order for some reason as well.