Outlaw Johnny Black

Tools    

http://www.slashfilm.com/black-dynam...-johnny-black/

"A Black Dynamitesequel is on its way. But here’s the catch: it won’t exactly feature Black Dynamite.

Black Dynamite himself, Michael Jai White, announced that the next film he’s starring in is called Outlaw Johnny Black, a gun-slinging Western comedy that will act as a semi-sequel to Black Dynamite. And there’s already a teaser out for it.

Fans have been eager for a sequel to Black Dynamite ever since the hysterical send-up of the blaxploitation genre hit theaters in 2009, and star Michael Jai White has been just as keen to return to the role of the kung fu-fighting sex machine. A few weeks ago, the star created a commotion with a cryptic tweet claiming “Black is Back,” stirring up rumors that a Black Dynamite sequel may finally be happening.

The announcement came after White tweeted a teaser for the film in late January, featuring grainy footage of a Western shoot-out and an announcement that invited viewers to “Join us in 2018.” The teaser comes via White’s Jaigantic Studios."

Black Dynamite is so much fun, and part of the fun for me is that they replicated not just the period clothing and slang but also the filmmaking aesthetics. It LOOKED like a movie that was shot in the mid 1970s. I'd love to see them do the same thing for the Spaghetti and Blaxploitation Western.

I don't know if they are looking to do crowdfunding or if this is simply a very early teaser before any footage is shot, but that brief teaser is mostly footage (and soundtrack) from Leone's A Fistful of Dollars. I hope they are replicating the period and not using actual footage from the old movies.

I'm down, Bruther.

Tarantino of course did his spin on these two genres with Django Unchained, but to see a strong and funny parody in line with Black Dynamite will be a hoot. Some of the '70s Westerns that had a Blaxploitation angle included Jim Brown and Lee Van Cleef in El Condor (1970) and Take a Hard Ride (1975), Bill Cosby and Yaphet Kotto in Man & Boy (1971), Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte in Buck & the Preacher (1972), especially the Fred Williamson flicks The Legend of N!gger Charley (1972), Boss N!gger (1974) and Joshua (1976), and the first one ever made has to be Soul Soldier/aka Buffalo Soldier (1970) starring Robert DoQui and Olympic medalist Rafer Johnson.

I hope Michael Jai White gets Fred Williamson at least for a cameo!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yassssss.

Really nailed the look of the film stock. Black Dynamite would've been funny no matter what, but the extra mile they went to seem aesthetically authentic elevated the whole production, and I suspect it'll do the same here.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You can still tell it's digital, though.

Looks pretty cheap, too. I like it. It's like Black Dynamite gone Wild West, or spaghetti version of Blazing Saddles.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Well, five years later and this finally came out. And I finally saw it.

It's...okay. It's nowhere near the level of hilarity of Black Dynamite, though that was predictable. It has its moments. But it's a bit padded, too, particularly in the beginning. I think the obviously troubled production took its toll. It's easy to imagine a version of this where the production goes smoother, the writing flows better, and there's just more gags, more silliness throughout. There's a few points where something ridiculous happens/gets said and you find yourself thinking "where has this been? Why hasn't it all been like this?"

But if you love Black Dynamite, yeah, you should watch it. Just temper your expectations.

---

Also, I'm one of the people who donated to the crowdfunding campaign for this way back in 2018, and from what I can see of other people who did the same on social media, it's pretty likely nobody's getting their copies of the film/rewards/whatever. So heads up there.