Movies with unconventional vampires.

Tools    

Normally when you think of vampires, you think of an undead fanged creature that burns in the sunlight, sleeps in coffins, dresses up in a cape and seducing everyone with cheesy euro accents. That's where your wrong, there are many kinds of vampires in world legends as some that don't burn in the sunlight, some that can be goblin or ghost-like, some that can be insane people, some that need no sharp teeth or fangs, some with regular teeth that are sharp as razor blades, some from outer space, some that can change to different animals and all that.

Your speaking to an expert in vampire mythology and here are movies that break the vampire mould to challenge the vampire stereotypes you normally see on film.

Lifeforce (1985): Vampires from space! the aliens in this movie are of an extraterrestrial ancient race of vampires whom are the origin of vampire, zombie and succubus lore when they visited before. These vampires require no fangs nor they drink blood, instead they suck out your lifeforce out. They can take other forms including bat-like creature form and energy mist

The Hunger (1983): These are of Egyptian breed and they don't require fangs nor burn in the sunlight but are daywalkers and cast reflections in mirrors. They use a dagger to stab people's necks then suck blood but can grow old then die if not given enough blood to satisfy their thirst

Martin (1977): A psychopathic teen boy believes he is 83 years old and a vampire as he goes out at night to stalk, drug and kill people as he slits their wrists and necks for blood.

Near Dark (1987): Traditional based but no need for fangs but regular sharp as blades normal teeth yet can still roast like a son of a bitch in the sunlight yet withstand silver sullets as they spit them out. They paint their windows all black to avoid sunlight.

Innocent Blood (1992): Same as the ND vampires of no fangs needed but their eyes do change colors.

Rabid (1977): Biological vampire from David Cronenberg as it has a hot chick who gets in an accident and being an experiment for a new sex organ under her pits that sucks blood from victims as it requires blood and turns them into vampiric zombies.

Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter (1972): These vampires wear dark clothes/hoods as they suck youth instead of blood as these vampires can be killed in different ways. Even in the film the main title's heros assistant tells us there are different species of vampires.

The Dark Crystal (1982): The Skeckis are creatures who feed off the essence of living creatures instead of blood like Podlings and they also feed on energy from the crystal to other beings even Gelflings.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988): These Klowns are alien creatues who are also vampiric in some way as they suck blood from people with a straw.

Def By Temptation (1990): The temptress is a woman who is part succubus/part vampire as it drains blood and energy off from men and can teleport itself even in TVs.

Cronos (1993): An ancient bug-like device can transform anyone who uses it into a person who thirsts for blood.

Sleepwalkers (1992): Cat-like demonic beings who said to be origin of vampire lore including to Dracula himself. These can withstand sunlight and feed on both blood and youth of virgins but can only be killed by cats.

The Keep (1983): Molesar himself is considered to be the origin of vampire lore eons ago and he is a golem-like creature who can suck energy/youth out of people instead of their blood and can even restore old people of their youth back. It can be killed with a sword to the chest in the energy center.

Thirst (2009): Another biological vampire as the priest goes under an experiment to make him warty but the only cure is drinking blood to get rid of his warts. He even jumps up high and can cook in the sunlight.

Not of This Earth (1957 and 1988/1995 remakes): Intergalactic vampires who need no fangs, no capes etc. but wears sunglasses to cover their eyes but when taken off they suck th energy off living humans then drain their blood with a device.

Immortality aka Wisdom of Crocodiles (1998): No need for fangs or burning in sunlight, this vampire is a realistic one who uses a knife to piece his victims and drain of blood.

Habit (1995): Another realistic vampire just like Martin and Wisdom of Crocodiles, about an alcoholic vampire who gets drunk off blood from people.

Mr. Vampire (1985): Chinese hoping energy vampires! they don't need blood but your energy, psychic vampires.

The Lair of the White Worm (1988): Snake-like vampiric people who can withstand sunlight and are the cause of vampire lore in the film, they can be killed in the chest.

Vampire Hunter D 1 & 2 (1985 and 2000): A half breed spawn of human/vampire who doesn't roast in the sunlight, can grow fangs when needed, has a talking hand that sucks things in when handy and superhuman strength plus high jumping skills.

Blade 2 (2002): Experimental vampires who are bi-vampires that drain from both people and vampires alike with multiple parasitic mouths, can't be killed in the chest and only be killed by silver or sunlight.

The Forsaken (2001): Vampires created by the black plague eons ago who have no fangs but are the same as Near Dark's vampires.

Planet of the Vampires (1966): Energy vampiric aliens who sleep under rocks like coffins and can drain both blood and energy.

Queen of Blood (1967): More alien vampires as the female queen of vampires sucks blood from people without any fangs.

Last Man on Earth, Omega Man and I Am Legend (1964, 1971 and 2007): Biological vampires who find sunlight harmful to their skin, they dig blood of humans, no need for fangs.

Know any other ones?

30 Days of Night have by far the best vampires EVER.

Well, John Carpenter's Vampires had a way to solve the problem with the sunlight . . .

Not that this is a part of the topic, but I loved some of their outfits, too . . .

Let The Right One In

The Addiction directed by Abel Ferrara
Oh yes The Addiction too had some unusual vampires too

Cronos (1993): An ancient bug-like device can transform anyone who uses it into a person who thirsts for blood.
That was a brilliant film. I remember how different that concept was when I first saw it.

The Keep (1983): Molesar himself is considered to be the origin of vampire lore eons ago and he is a golem-like creature who can suck energy/youth out of people instead of their blood and can even restore old people of their youth back. It can be killed with a sword to the chest in the energy center.
I watched that a few months ago and I liked it very much. And the name Radu comes from Vlad the Impaler's brother. The Doctor Who story The Curse of Fenric was influenced by The Keep but that uses vampire-like creatures called Haemovores who come out of the sea. The older they are, the more mutated in appearance, with octopus-like suckers and barnacles on their skin. The original idea was to have virtually the whole head be one massive sucker with fangs, with only slits for eyes, but I think it was too scary for the timeslot. I like how they turned out though.

Vampires crop up in Doctor Who a lot less than you might imagine – at least the bloodsucking variety. State of Decay is more traditional and introduces vampires as the Time Lords' ancient enemies.

The Lair of the White Worm (1988): Snake-like vampiric people who can withstand sunlight and are the cause of vampire lore in the film, they can be killed in the chest.
The book is quite different but the villains both have vampire-like abilities.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
The girl in Let the Right One In and the girl in A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night.

Oh and Nic Cage in Vampire's Kiss, because...

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201