Lars and the Real Girl

→ in
Tools    

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
The first time I heard about this film I wanted to see it. I liked the concept. I finally got my hands on it. It was free. That's always a bonus.

At first it seemed pretty slow and strange. I was thinking of Fargo actually during the early part.

Finally the "girl" showed up. I loved the outfit she was in. I may have a fascination for sex dolls in general. The movie picked up but was still quirky.

My husband and son were just disgusted by it when the passed through the living room. Meanwhile I was thinking, what would happen if we treated mentally ill people with kindness instead of like outcasts.

In this movie, that's what just about everyone in this small, often frozen town did. In that cold weather it was the warm accepting hearts that prevailed.

I was touched by the concept of treating mentally ill people like people which of course they are. Even more so as people we love, which many of us do.

The resolution is quite understated and lovely IMO.

Did anyone else see it?

If so, what did you think about this film?

Crud, I meant to title it Lars and the Real Girl but I can't change it now.

Well, my review from last October is right HERE. I thought it was definitely one of the best movies of the year and that Ryan Gosling was robbed of an Oscar nomination (though it was Daniel Day-Lewis' year for the win, obviously).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Awesome!

*goes to look*

Great review! Thanks.

I did employ the search function before posting this time btw. It works so much better at this site than most.

I felt some of the reason behind his delusion was his fear for the well being of his SIL because she was pregnant. They never really addressed it.

At first it seemed pretty slow and strange. I was thinking of Fargo actually during the early part.
Please expound.

Fargo, was set in a cold, remote area and filled with straight, muted performances. It wasn't my kind of movie.

It did have a few nice moments but there was just not enough to make it feel like it was a worthwhile flick to spend my time on. This sort of judgment, is of course, highly subjective and individual.

There are certain things I enjoy in a film. Fargo never quite got there for me. Lars and the Real Girl did.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's a good start. Lars and the Real Girl is a feel-good movie, and Fargo obviously isn't, unless you feel good after watching a good movie. Now, please continue. We care. What else can you "compare and contrast"?

That's a good start. Lars and the Real Girl is a feel-good movie, and Fargo obviously isn't, unless you feel good after watching a good movie. Now, please continue. We care. What else can you "compare and contrast"?
Fargo wasn't a good movie for me because I didn't enjoy it.

I do feel good after seeing movies I enjoy. Those to me are the good ones.

It's too late for me to make further comparisons and contrasts tonight. I must go to bed and compare dreams now.

Honestly, my mind is pretty fried at the moment anyway. I'm probably typing millions of typos in every post at this point.

Till next time then.

i didnt know what to make of this movie, it was all funny, strange, and disturbing all at once. I told my parents to watch it and my mom actually like it which was shocking

Watched it last night. Was expecting a quirky comedy but it is so much more. A bit of a stretch at times but still very emotionally powerful. Ryan was excellent but I thought the two best roles (story wise) were the older brother and the doctor.

And yes, if only the mentally ill were treated this way by society.

A system of cells interlinked
I was sick over this past weekend, and I watched upwards of 25 films or so in the space of 4 days. One of them happened to be this gem. This was just fantastic. Gosling absolutely nailed it, and as Holden mentioned, was robbed of a nomination. I thought the movie was bold, and it placed the viewer in a sort of odd state, with the uncomfortableness of the doll sort of nagging at me at first, but then the film just grabs you, and doesn't let go. The scene at the lake near the end was touching, and just perfectly done. Great stuff!

Gosling absolutely nailed it, and as Holden mentioned, was robbed of a nomination.
Loved how at times his facial expressions would convey that he was aware that Bianca was a delusion for brief moments and then he would resolve right back into the delusion.

Really tough acting just through facial expressions without over doing it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Delighted to see this film picking up so many fans on here, except for donniedarko that is! When I posted a review a couple of years back I wasn't sure how well known or liked it was but it seems to just keep growing and growing in popularity on here

This movie is just another proof of Ryan Gosling talent. I`ve watched it couple of years ago and I`ve really liked it.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Well I just watched it as it is now on Netflix instant, and I was disappointed. I outlined a few thoughts in my review thread, but will post them here as well. Basically the tone was off for me and it was a bit of a play by the book and pull on the heart strings affair, which left me emotionally detached and unchallenged mentally, and contrary to almost everyone in this thread, I thought Gosling was completely non-involving and non-sympathetic and I'm a huge fan of his. Oh well.

Lars and the Real Girl (2007, Craig Gillespie)

Here's a film from the writer of "Six Feet Under," Nancy Oliver and while her HBO series was excellent and dealt with dark issues within the lives of its emotionally frail characters, it's hard to recognize her pen with this disappointing film. Lars and the Real Girl, as has been mentioned in quite a few reviews, could have been a silly gross-out comedy, but it isn't. In my mind it takes the opposite turn which is equally a misstep and that is to go for something that would be found right in a Frank Capra movie. The whole town accepts Lars' (Ryan Gosling) sex doll, Bianca as his significant other in a strictly platonic relationship because well... Lars is a gentleman. There's some good back story here with how Lars ends up being reclusive and painfully shy around people, but nothing really ever comes to fruition and this idea is dropped. I get that the filmmakers were going for the less is more approach, especially with the turn of events regarding Bianca, but it I don't think the script or filmmakers really knew what they wanted to say.
One of the things that irks me about how the story goes is the way the whole town almost overnight accepts the premise of Lars and Bianca as a couple - so much so in fact that they offer her jobs and volunteer time. Nothing seems quite right as the community lives with blank stares on their faces and with the blind optimism and acceptance of Capra at his most Capraesque. Some good supporting roles, but no one stands out. Even Gosling who is brilliant in almost anything, doesn't quite nail a true character down as he drifts between shy, mildly retarded, lonely, and repressed guilt-ridden. There's a good idea here, but the tone is wrong, and what we get is a "heart-felt" typical dramedy.

Grade: C-

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Although it is considered to be a bit of a strange movie, I love Lar and the real girl. It is random as anything but it shows how badly someone can react to trauma and is one of those movies that can restore your faith in humanity.....especially after binging out on The Walking Dead and feeling like everyone is out to get you and steal your food and shelter....anyways it's a great movie. If you haven't seen it check it out

The first time I heard about this film I wanted to see it. I liked the concept. I finally got my hands on it. It was free. That's always a bonus.

Finally the "girl" showed up. I loved the outfit she was in. I may have a fascination for sex dolls in general. The movie picked up but was still quirky.

My husband and son were just disgusted by it when the passed through the living room. Meanwhile I was thinking, what would happen if we treated mentally ill people with kindness instead of like outcasts.

In this movie, that's what just about everyone in this small, often frozen town did. In that cold weather it was the warm accepting hearts that prevailed.

I was touched by the concept of treating mentally ill people like people which of course they are. Even more so as people we love, which many of us do.

The resolution is quite understated and lovely IMO.

Did anyone else see it?

If so, what did you think about this film?

Crud, I meant to title it Lars and the Real Girl but I can't change it now.
I loved Lars and the Real Girl...it was something offbeat and different and Ryan Gosling was WONDERFUL.