The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III: Foreign Language Edition

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Agreed, his approach to the teen girls was well done, it left an impression with me because they were real.
As much as I loved The Edge of Seventeen and Lady Bird, and liked Juno, I had slight issues with their dialogue, especially in the case of Juno. Hmm, I’m finding myself at a loss for an accurate description for their dialogue.
That is one of the things I always loved about Show Me Love, that it felt much more like the reality of teenage experience than a lot of the American high school offerings. It probably helped that I was a teenager when it came out in the 90s and the scenes of the kids just sitting around comparing their rubbish mobile phones seemed so close to home.

Story of a Love Affair (1950)

This film gave me a headache, I actually became physically ill watching a film from these countdowns. Funny thing is this is a good movie, it's a seedy noir tale about a murderous trio. But the film is unwatchable because of the score. I mean how do I explain how bad the sound is for this film...try and imagine a goose and then slowly killing that goose and then playing the sound of that dying goose for an hour and half.

Lucia Bose plays the femme fatale lead in this and she's fantastic...I loved her performance and that's through the bleeding of my ears. Michelangelo Antonio does a great job with the visuals and this is his most restrained work. You have several moments of great intimacy...that's ruined by the sound.

It kinda sucks to make a list because I'm in a bad mood over this and I'm not going to hold the score that much against it but..yeah not pleased.
Congratulations Siddon, you are the 10th member to finish!

It's 7:30pm here and I'm still stuck at work; been here since morning, and I don't know when I'll get out or how tired I'm going to be. If I can, I'll finish Woman in the Dunes tonight, but if not today, I'll try to make it early tomorrow.
Diving back in now. Sorry for the delay.

Whenever I'm ready, I just send a ranked list of all the films I saw, right? Just like the other HOF.

List sent! Let me know if you got it, cricket.

What a wonderful bunch of pictures.

EDIT: I'm working on my write-up on Woman in the Dunes. Not sure how urgent that is, now that my list is sent, but I'll try to have it up later today, if not tomorrow.

WOMAN IN THE DUNES
(1964, Teshigahara)
A film from the 1960s

"Make the sand work for you, not against you."

That is one of the advices that Junpei (Eiji Okada) gives the titular "woman in the dunes" (Kyōko Kishida) as they ponder about the possibilities given their current situation. You see, they are both trapped in a sand pit and forced by local villagers to work by shoveling sand so the village can survive. The woman, who has been there longer than Junpei, has already accepted her fate, but Junpei holds on to "hope... that things will change tomorrow". But will things change? can things change? or is it us that have to change?

That seems to be one of the statements made by this 1964 Japanese New Wave film; not that it offers any concrete conclusion, but it does put forth that clash between freedom and free will, "rigid thinking" and adaptation, and also complacency. The film puts the lead characters in a situation that seems hopeless, as their respective prospects of life clash. Junpei doesn't want this change as he longs to return to civilization, but in rejecting it, isn't he as "trapped" as his companion?

In the opening scene, Junpei, who is a schoolteacher and entomologist, visits the desert looking for insects, which in turn leads him to his capture. There's an interesting juxtaposition as we see him trap insects that he puts in a bottle, only to have him being trapped and "put into a bottle" himself. The difference being perhaps in the practicality of one vs. the other. The former, he does more as a "hobby", while the latter is done to maintain the village's lifeline. One could certainly argue the ethical and moral implications of both, but as time passes, Junpei rejects his past hobby in favor of practicality (see the scene where he gets rid of his insects in order to please/help the woman).

Having just finished this film a couple of hours ago, I certainly have a dozen thoughts in my head about both its raw story as well as all its symbolisms, and it certainly seems like a film that will stick in my mind for a long time. The way it balances a story that's mysterious, intriguing, tragic and sad, with messages of isolation, identity, life purpose, sexuality, and primal instincts is simply marvelous.

But it doesn't stop with the story. The film is also impressive from pretty much every other aspect. The performances from Okada and Kishida are pretty much flawless, as we see them shift and change like the sand; the score by Toru Takemitsu goes from subtle to harsh in a fluid, seamless way; director Hiroshi Teshigahara and cinematographer Hiroshi Segawa make great use of the camera, using both wide shots and closeups to convey different emotions. The nature shots of the dunes and their shifting sands also add a lot to what the film is trying to tell us: much like that sand, things in life can change slowly or they can change suddenly. The key is how we react and adapt to whatever change comes, and make the sand work for us.

Grade:

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I need to see this now based on your review and those pictures.
you would love this, Thursday!
Highly recommended

Ok I've got to water the grass, do the shopping, do the laundry, take the dogs to the park, finish Blackkklansman, and get my 2nd shot, then maybe, maybe I'll tally this bitch up.

I picked some awesome films, so that's a win! But will I win? Don't know??? At least one person didn't like my awesome choice and I can't remember what I picked for Thursday? Cricket what did I pick for her?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I was amazed I took 2nd Place on the second one, so, hopefully, I'll get above 5th to return the favor of so many great films. Don't think I'll make the top three.

If Neiba was in, I would have gone with the safe bet of them winning lol

About 4 1/2 hours away and the results are in. It's close, but we have a winner and 11 losers.

Anyone think they took the cake?
I think we are all winners.