What should I name my kitten?

Tools    

I was wondering who that was! Thank you so much. You too, Allaby (that one was easier to figure out), and Mark as well!

The stream was a rousing success, raising over $2,100, which is about three times what I'd hoped or expected. Exhausting and I'm so glad to be done (think I worked on it almost every day for a solid month), and really touched by everyone's contributions.
That's great! Glad it was such a success. The funny thing is I did my donation in Canadian funds and it converted it to American, so it showed I donated $74.21 which is such an odd amount!

I did notice that. We had a lot of people posting deliberately janky amounts so it didn't register as too odd though.

Seriously guys, thanks so much for your generosity. It's all getting doubled and going to some really great causes that have a direct impact. And if anyone wants proof/receipts/whatever, no hard feelings on my end, feel free to PM me for it.

The stream was a rousing success, raising over $2,100, which is about three times what I'd hoped or expected. Exhausting and I'm so glad to be done (think I worked on it almost every day for a solid month), and really touched by everyone's contributions.
Congrats!

When I was much (MUCH) younger, I organized and performed in three different 24-hour theater marathons to raise money for a domestic violence/sexual assault shelter. It was exhausting, but really satisfying. The best part is seeing people surprise you with their generosity. (And getting over the part right before you start where you think What if no one shows up?!?!?!)

Yep, that's the fear. Even though it's not about you, it still kinda reflects on you, so it can be a little scary. But you're right, it's really something when you take that kind of chance and people "catch" you with their generosity. It's inspiring.

How does a 24-hour theater marathon work? Just performances rotating and going for 24 hours straight?

Yep, that's the fear. Even though it's not about you, it still kinda reflects on you, so it can be a little scary. But you're right, it's really something when you take that kind of chance and people "catch" you with their generosity. It's inspiring.

How does a 24-hour theater marathon work? Just performances rotating and going for 24 hours straight?
We had a 9-person improv troupe and we just did a show that started at 9pm on a Friday night and ran until 10pm on Saturday. We all just stayed awake for the full 24 hours (which was hard on me because I was doing organizing during the day and had been awake since 7am on the Friday morning getting everything in order). Shockingly, we had at least 20 people in the audience at all times and probably 60-80 people at other times, peaking at about 100+ in our last hour.

I think that the live streaming thing is really cool, because you can literally get donations from anywhere and people can pop in and out without having to commit to any set amount of attendance.

We had a 9-person improv troupe and we just did a show that started at 9pm on a Friday night and ran until 10pm on Saturday. We all just stayed awake for the full 24 hours (which was hard on me because I was doing organizing during the day and had been awake since 7am on the Friday morning getting everything in order). Shockingly, we had at least 20 people in the audience at all times and probably 60-80 people at other times, peaking at about 100+ in our last hour.
Wow. So the whole troupe performed the whole time? I mean, I assume not literally, but "the whole time" meaning except for tiny breaks for biological necessities or whatever. Or did you guys do shifts?

Improv can be tough, I can't even imagine coming up with ideas for 24 hours. Goodness.

I think that the live streaming thing is really cool, because you can literally get donations from anywhere and people can pop in and out without having to commit to any set amount of attendance.
Yeah, we got donations from all over the world (the community around the game is quite varied). And it's nice that there's so many ways people can contribute: they can donate, subscribe (and everyone who has Amazon Prime gets a free subscription to gift to a streamer each month), throw "bits," or even just hang out and chat to keep things moving (which in turn tends to increase donations). The sliding scale of involvement and the way it self-reinforces is really nice.

Wow. So the whole troupe performed the whole time? I mean, I assume not literally, but "the whole time" meaning except for tiny breaks for biological necessities or whatever. Or did you guys do shifts?

Improv can be tough, I can't even imagine coming up with ideas for 24 hours. Goodness.
Yeah--we were all "on" the whole time. Definitely something you do in your 20s. The last game of the whole show one year was called Oxygen Deprivation. Totally gimmicky. Three buckets of water, 4 players, and no more than two people with their heads out of water for the whole skit. I remember thinking "I hope I don't fall asleep with my head in this bucket". Which of course is a silly thought, but not when you've been awake for 38 hours straight.

Yeah, we got donations from all over the world (the community around the game is quite varied). And it's nice that there's so many ways people can contribute: they can donate, subscribe (and everyone who has Amazon Prime gets a free subscription to gift to a streamer each month), throw "bits," or even just hang out and chat to keep things moving (which in turn tends to increase donations). The sliding scale of involvement and the way it self-reinforces is really nice.
Neat. I'm sure the various charities will be thrilled.

He's going to regret having to match the donations, I think.
I was thinking the same thing, but, knowing Yoda, I’m sure he doesn’t regret a thing.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I was thinking the same thing, but, knowing Yoda, I’m sure he doesn’t regret a thing.
You're right. I did check with him (because I offered to match my OWN donation if that would help), but he declined my offer.