The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

From Yoda's clues yesterday, I coulda sworn it was gonna be Fellowship...
I'm actually glad it's ROTK. Means Fellowship is higher.

And Psycho was on my final list for ages before I ultimately removed it.
Knew it wasn't gonna need my help tbh.

Glad Fellowship will be the top Lord of the Rings on this list. Because it is the

best

one

Fun Fact

As I alluded to a few days ago, this is the last film on the list that isn't on at least 10 ballots: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King cracks the top 30 while only being on none. It managed that because five people put it in their top three.
Would be interesting to see an average list based on points-to-lists ratio.

LotR: RotK is just as epic as the other two instalments in the trilogy and I'd be hard pressed to say which order of preference I have without revisiting them all. I've no problem at all with all three showing up on the list, even if I might not include any in my personal top 25.

Lovely to see Psycho, so bold a move by Hitch to off his female lead so early in a movie and thoroughly deserves to be nearer the top than the bottom of the list imo. (I thought the "Be nice and keep clean" part of the clue was a dead giveaway to this one but I've given up answering the hints as for me the fun to be had was when there was far less certainty about what might not be turning up.)

Seen: 64/74 (Own: 32/74)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
26. Les quatre cents coups (1959)
25. Dip huet seung hung (1989)

I have no big issues with Return of the King making it. It didn't make my list, but I love the whole trilogy. However, my hopes for Fellowship making it just waned a bit. Anyway, ROTK was a unique experience on theater. It was packed and the crowd was fully into it, in a good way, and it gave us that big Eowyn moment ("I'm no man"). That's what theater should be like.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThiefCGT/...18197148479489

Psycho is my #2 Hitchcock and it was #22 on my list. It's a film that the more I see it, the more I fall in love with it. Perkins' performance is simply spectacular, but so was Martin Balsam, who doesn't get enough praise for this. There's not much to be said about this. It's a masterpiece.

EDIT: I was trying to link to a tweet about that ROTK moment, but it wasn't working.

My Summary:

Seen: 65/74
My list: 10/25

My List  

I personally prefer Fellowship to Return of the King. I think I've always enjoyed the planning and preparation of things rather than the actual big battles themselves. The kind of deus ex machina with the Army of the Dead always annoyed me a bit too.

Psycho is an absolutely superb film and definitely in my top five favourite Hitchcock films. I actually caught the second half (well, from just before the shower scene) the other night on Sony Classics. One of my very favourite horror films and it would probably make my top 100 but didn't make my top 25. One of the things that has stood out for me on my last few viewings is how Hitch changes the perspective of the story so well after that pivotal scene. After Marion dies, Norman naturally takes over as the main character and one of the very first scenes we get from solely his perspective is the sinking of the car, we don't know much about him at this point and we've been following Mario the whole film but the way Hitch shoots the scene with the suspenseful slow slink makes us really root for Norman's character in such a strange way. It's this visual inventiveness, the decisions on what shots to use, when to cut, that makes Hitch so great. Everyone talks about the shower scene but I think the Arbogast stair scenes always shocked me more.

74/74 seen.

Peter Jackson joins the multiples with 2 LOTR films, and we can all predict that by the end of this he'll join the threes with his most beloved installment of the series, number 1. As Jackson takes Hitchcock's place in the two's, Hitchcock moves up to the three's joining James Cameron (who's probably gone as far as he can), and Steven Spielberg, who may still have a couple movies to go, or at least one.

• Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest (57), Rear Window (40), Psycho (27)
  • James Cameron: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (71), The Terminator (56), Aliens (37)
  • Steven Spielberg: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (89), Saving Private Ryan (83), Schindler's List (41)
  • Billy Wilder: The Apartment (84), Sunset Boulevard (53)
  • David Fincher: Fight Club (52), Se7en (49)
  • Milos Forman: Amadeus (50), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (33)
  • Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia (74), There Will Be Blood (60)
  • Peter Jackson: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (42), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (28)
  • Robert Zemeckis: Forrest Gump (65), Back to the Future (34)
  • Victor Fleming: Gone with the Wind (55), The Wizard of Oz (36)
Return of the King is the second best of the franchise. I guess it's only real flaw is that it has like three or four endings. I didn't vote for it but I'm glad to see it.

Psycho is not my favorite Hitchcock film. It's my number 3. The thing is that it doesn't drive itself on character development as much as it once, and it shifts major characters halfway through.

I personally prefer Fellowship to Return of the King. I think I've always enjoyed the planning and preparation of things rather than the actual big battles themselves. The kind of deus ex machina with the Army of the Dead always annoyed me a bit too.
Not to exactly defend that, but anyone interested in Tolkien's thinking (since he's obviously a good enough storyteller to "know better" to some degree) should read up on the phrase he coined for this kind of even: eucatastrophe. It's heavily informed by his theology/religion.

Everyone talks about the shower scene but I think the Arbogast stair scenes always shocked me more.
If we're thinking of the same thing, then yes. I was genuinely surprised at how unnerved such an old film (even a classic) made me, and that overhead shot on the stairs was probably the most jarring in the whole film.

I'm not too surprised to see Return of the King here, and I do expect Fellowship will turn up as well. As I think I said upthread, I didn't have any of the Lord of the Rings movies on my list, but having just watched them, they are enjoyable spectacles. Someone on Twitter (yeah, I know) said, in a positive way, that these movies are very earnest, and I think that's actually a good description of one of their great strengths. No irony here, just a straightforward epic saga about how an act of mercy can save the world.

There are a handful of Hitchcock movies I could have put on my list, but, perhaps on the strength of it being the last movie I've seen in a (drive-in) theater, I slipped in Psycho at #25. Quoting myself: "Its structure is fascinating, building up Marion as a desperate person first falling into a trap of her own making, then undone by one she could never see coming. The work of the first half of the film and her connections to her sister and boyfriend ensure her presence remains felt."

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Fun Fact

As I alluded to a few days ago, this is the last film on the list that isn't on at least 10 ballots: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King cracks the top 30 while only being on nine. It managed that because five people put it in their top three.
I'm really surprised that 5 people deem ROTK to be top 3 worthy. Aragon: "show yourselves!".

I personally consider it to be by far the weakest of the 3, with several large mistakes, Gondor has no characters, just Denethor being mad up in his tower while Faramir is in hospital, they needed a few Captains, recognizable actors, instead we have Gandalf and Pippen and the nameless faceless Gondor redshirts. Gandalf's awful face off with the witch King that didn't even make it to the theatrical. The ghost army that just deux ex's everything to save the day and the oh so slow ending, especially Frodo in bed when they all come in one at a time.

It's not without it's good moments though, lighting of the beacons, Gandalf vs Nazgul, Rohans charge and speech, and a good finish with Frodo/Gollum/Sam.

Too many unnecessary deviations from the book though especially in the main battle and Gondor in general.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Since so many people have already announced how lousy The Return of the King is, I have to say it's my #11. Unlike others who say the F/X suck and the ending goes on way too long, what I actually see and feel are exciting, suspenseful sights and deeply affecting ones throughout and especially during the admittedly drawn-out ending which make me cry over and over. It may be the exact opposite of Jackson's low-budget beginnings but not of his creative decisions to put out this heartfelt epic in a very brief amount of time.

Psycho is so iconic there's not much left to say. But I'll try for a sec. The credits and opening title music are better than many (most?) films. Marion Crane's story is told with low -key intensity and an almost perfect presentation of images. That, combined with sex, fear, guilt and a particularly creepy highway patrolman set the movie on its way. When she arrives at the Bates Motel, she encounters Norman who appears to be a thoughtful, lonely soul she can relate to. But, oh that mother. I'll stop here but say that I find Psycho one of the darkest comedies ever made

My List

4. Star Wars
9. Cabaret
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
12. Schindler's List
16. Back to the Future
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Didn't expect to be this disappointed all three Rings are going to make it. This from someone who thinks these are great movies. Can't imagine how the detractors are feeling.

Psycho is great in all the ways people always mention but after three viewings sits around 8 or 9 on my Hitch list. I think that's a testament to what a great director he is. Others may see it as my ignorance manifesting itself. Both those things are probably true. Expected Psycho here and have no problem with it, even though The Birds is better.
Next time we do a big list like this @Yoda should make that a rule that only one movie from it's franchise can make the list, so say someone has a single movie with no sequels as one of their ballots, that's giving that ballot more hope to make it on instead if it getting derailed because that movie with 2 or 3 of them takes those spots.

Also I know it can be hard to pick between 2 or 3 movies like for example Terminator 1 and 2 but just pick the one that gets the most votes. So when Terminator 2 makes the list, it gives us a shock & awe, welp Terminator 1 ain't making the list.

Also you could always make T1 a special mention to the 2nd one so that way it's gets a little love while doing this list. First time ever participating in these lists, so maybe there's reasons why this happens.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Cool, I'm not a horror guy either. But this one struck home for me when first viewed at the theater.
That probably helps too. I suspect horror is a lot like comedy - really not enjoyed properly in a non-theater setting.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King finished (after sixteen endings) at #14 on the MoFo Millennium List while Psycho was #2 on the MoFo '60s List and #6 on the MoFo Horror List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have it at #2.
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Paths of Glory
Barry Lyndon
Full Metal Jacket

Those are my favorite.
Have not Seen anything before Paths of Glory yet.
Strongly recommend The Killing. It's fabulous.

Didn't expect to be this disappointed all three Rings are going to make it. This from someone who thinks these are great movies. Can't imagine how the detractors are feeling.

Psycho is great in all the ways people always mention but after three viewings sits around 8 or 9 on my Hitch list. I think that's a testament to what a great director he is. Others may see it as my ignorance manifesting itself. Both those things are probably true. Expected Psycho here and have no problem with it, even though The Birds is better.
Psycho is definitely overrated in my view. It's an interesting technical experiment with some unbelievable music and sequences, but story wise I find it lacking.

Next time we do a big list like this @Yoda should make that a rule that only one movie from it's franchise can make the list, so say someone has a single movie with no sequels as one of their ballots, that's giving that ballot more hope to make it on instead if it getting derailed because that movie with 2 or 3 of them takes those spots.

Also I know it can be hard to pick between 2 or 3 movies like for example Terminator 1 and 2 but just pick the one that gets the most votes. So when Terminator 2 makes the list, it gives us a shock & awe, welp Terminator 1 ain't making the list.

Also you could always make T1 a special mention to the 2nd one so that way it's gets a little love while doing this list. First time ever participating in these lists, so maybe there's reasons why this happens.
The reason we don't do things that way is that your suggestions are ridiculous.