Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Make a better place
[rating]3[^/rating] with no ^
Thanks a million

Avengers (2012)

What a steaming pile of manure. I reluctantly watched it with a bunch of friends. I brought a bunch of cool movies, but no they wanted to watch Avengers. It was exactly what I was expecting it to be. I was actually surprised at how typical it was. I don't understand why people praise this movie. It was unrealistic, had mediocre acting and a terrible plot-- I mean honestly the only aspect I remotely enjoyed was the comic relief. First of all I wouldn't have bothered to watch this on my own because I already knew I wouldn't like it, but if I had I would have turned it off in about fifteen minutes. I only sat through it out of respect for my friends, and fortunately I had to go to work right away so I didn't have to talk about it after.

Army of Shadows (1969)

I was talking to one of my co-workers about how bad Avengers was and how good Le Circle Rouge was and he told me to check out Army of Shadows. I love realistic intelligent movies. This was so awesome. I'm just going to watch everything Melville has done now. Such a relief coming away from a terrible Hollywood blockbuster and seeing a real work of genius. I can't wait for the 60's MoFo list. I think I'm starting to like the 60's era better than the 70's. Melville is my new favorite director.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Meek's Cutoff (2010, Kelly Reichardt)

A very slow moving film and I loved the director's effort with Wendy and Lucy, but this film seemed to have less direction (a pun for anyone who's seen Meek's Cutoff). It's a western about a group of settler's who get lost with a bit of misguidance from their guide/scout. A great cast and premise, apparently based upon a real event, but nothing seems as developed as it could be. Several storylines and events don't really pan out and despite some great scenery the film just plods on and gets repetitive and falls into a pattern(wanderin' and drama during the day, doubtin' at night and discussin' by campire... rinse... repeat scenes). Some great cinematography though.

Grade: C+

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I give these films the exact same ratings, Zotis! I'm glad you like Melville films!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Seven Samurai (1954)

I just want to preface this by saying that I know that nobody here is going to agree with this review, but at least I watched the movie all the way through to the end, (all 3-1/2 hours of it).

While I'm not a fan of the movie "Seven Samurai", and I prefer "The Magnificent Seven" over "Seven Samurai", I can understand why so many people love his movie. The story seems to flow better in this movie, the characters are fleshed out better in this movie which makes it a more emotional movie, and there seems to be more strategy involved in the fighting scenes in this movie.

I think my issues with this movie are not really about the movie itself, but more about the different cultures between the two movies. I've seen enough westerns over the years that I can relate better to the Americanized version, but I can't really relate to the whole Samurai culture and fighting with Samurai swords. The only sword-fighting that I'm familiar with is the swashbuckling style of Errol Flynn, or the sword-fighting scenes in "The Princess Bride". Also the movie is a bit too long for me, but at least it's not boring.

Calvary (2014)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

The first 40 minutes, especially the first 20, are terrific. It would be almost impossible for the rest of the movie to live up to that beginning, and it doesn't. Given the subject matter, I would've liked a more serious tone throughout. I felt at times that it was somewhat cartoonish. Overall, I think it's very good entertainment, but far from a great movie.

It is meant to be cartoonish and feels very comic book like, but I honestly wouldn't want anything else from Tarantino, I think it's all brilliant. But at least you liked it

The first 40 minutes, especially the first 20, are terrific. It would be almost impossible for the rest of the movie to live up to that beginning, and it doesn't. Given the subject matter, I would've liked a more serious tone throughout. I felt at times that it was somewhat cartoonish. Overall, I think it's very good entertainment, but far from a great movie.

I'm glad you liked it, but you are aware that you were watching a Tarantino movie, right?

He doesn't do serious, regardless of the subject matter.

I know, and all his movies are entertaining. I just miss the days of Dogs, Pulp, and Jackie a little. I know they have their silly moments too, but I thought they had a grittier way about them.

The first 40 minutes, especially the first 20, are terrific. It would be almost impossible for the rest of the movie to live up to that beginning, and it doesn't.
I understand what your saying, the opening scene may be my favorite in a movie ever. However, the scene in the bar is nearly its equal in my opinion. Sorry you didnt like it more. My second favorite Tarantino and was in my top 15 when I made my last 100 list.

I thought it was very good but I'm not usually crazy about many war type themed movies. So I think the movie succeeded in what it was trying to do; it's more of a personal thing. It's nitpicking anyway, I really enjoyed it.