The Twin Peaks Thread

Tools    

You don't watch shows? You're missing out on so much good stuff man.
Nope. I'm a movie guy, TV isn't really my thing. Why watch 30 episodes of the same show, for instance, when I can watch 30 different films. I don't really have the time or the patience for shows.

But I might make an exception (in the summer probably), since it's Lynch.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
It had no idea where it was headed, of course, because the network wasn't patient enough to let them get where it was going originally at its own pace. It became too popular for its own good, and thus fell victim to the crowds that thought they knew what they wanted. The issue in TV is that there's a great lack of creative control, which limits a great deal of the offerings. Louis C.K. might have the best deal TV has ever given someone. A low budget ($300,000 per episode) but complete creative control and final cut has given birth to the best and most daring comedy on television. If only FX would make a deal with Lynch.
That's the key to creating good television, however. There will always be this obstacle, and it's not strictly confined to television, either, but also film, particularly large scale projects. If you can find a way to trounce studio pressure and mainstream popularity, whilst still forking out a consistently good product (without succumbing to the dangers of over-exposure and downgrading your content to the 'average viewer'), then that is a testament to genuinely impeccable television. Look at Breaking Bad - popularity off-the-walls, critically lauded to almost unparalleled degrees, and eagerly anticipated on a weekly basis. Yet it was Gilligan who still managed to deliver a consistent product right up until the end, freakishly improving the quality of the show as the episodes progressed, without lowering the standards or submitting to mainstream exposure and popularity. How he managed to do that was beyond me.

The Wire is another one, too, although that never reached the same recognisable heights Breaking Bad did, despite being the superior show in my books. It is a shame that these (should be meaninglessly) external variables have such an imperative role in shaping the content and quality of a television show, but that is unfortunately the way that it is. Twin Peaks is a victim of this.

The third episode is still the best episode in the series.
My top three are: the one where the killer is revealed at end, during second series where Julie Christie sings 'The World Spins', then the final one, then the third one. That's off the top of my head

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
That's the key to creating good television, however. There will always be this obstacle, and it's not strictly confined to television, either, but also film, particularly large scale projects. If you can find a way to trounce studio pressure and mainstream popularity, whilst still forking out a consistently good product (without succumbing to the dangers of over-exposure and downgrading your content to the 'average viewer'), then that is a testament to genuinely impeccable television. Look at Breaking Bad - popularity off-the-walls, critically lauded to almost unparalleled degrees, and eagerly anticipated on a weekly basis. Yet it was Gilligan who still managed to deliver a consistent product right up until the end, freakishly improving the quality of the show as the episodes progressed, without lowering the standards or submitting to mainstream exposure and popularity. How he managed to do that was beyond me.
I think Breaking Bad is far from a revolutionary product. I think the most notable thing about Breaking Bad was its consistency, I basically knew what I was getting every week from it. It was better than the average show, but nothing that I would watch instead of a film, the only shows that have done that for me have been Twin Peaks and Louie, both exploratory shows of pristine quality. Breaking Bad wasn't very interesting for me thematically or aesthetically, like the aforementioned shows. It has the polish of a Hollywood thriller, but I don't really care so much for Hollywood thrillers.

I think Breaking Bad is far from a revolutionary product. I think the most notable thing about Breaking Bad was its consistency, I basically knew what I was getting every week from it. It was better than the average show, but nothing that I would watch instead of a film, the only shows that have done that for me have been Twin Peaks and Louie, both exploratory shows of pristine quality. Breaking Bad wasn't very interesting for me thematically or aesthetically, like the aforementioned shows. It has the polish of a Hollywood thriller, but I don't really care so much for Hollywood thrillers.
There certainly isn't anything revolutionary about Breaking Bad. I think this is obvious to most people. It is just downright enthralling, edge-off-your-seat television, designed to startle and engross. It is hardly 'GOAT' material, either, but its rigid consistency, despite all of the exposure and popularity it received within its last three seasons, is something that is of noteworthy stature.

I prefer numerous shows over it, too, but most of them were bombarded with inconsistency, minus The Wire and Gervais' first two masterworks, The Office and Extras.

Nope. I'm a movie guy, TV isn't really my thing. Why watch 30 episodes of the same show, for instance, when I can watch 30 different films. I don't really have the time or the patience for shows.

But I might make an exception (in the summer probably), since it's Lynch.
I think if character appeals to you the new way that television is done has a huge upside right now. There is still a lot of bad TV of course, but the good TV is tremendous. There is something really cool about falling in love with a character and their world and being able to immerse yourself in it for a few years. My first and best love will always be film I think, but I would put Draper, Mackey, and Soprano up against any of my favorite characters in film.

I just finished the first season of of this, and it was great. I liked seeing Kyle MacLachlan in another lead for David Lynch, though still not quite as good as Blue Velvet.

This scene always used to put me in a good mood:

Lynch just knew how to capture happiness.

Oh my god, the perfection of that last episode. Yep, not even ashamed to admit that I watched the show this year for the first time and I only just finished it, although I finished season one in April. Took a long break before starting with season two this month.

But damn. The final episode of the series might just be the second best thing Lynch has ever done, imo. The score, the mood, the camerawork, the surreal imagery, the list goes on. Just perfect.

Why couldn't the rest of the show be as crazy, surreal, and beautiful as the last episode? It's a shame Lynch didn't direct more episodes

Overall rating

Final episode

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I wasn't a fan of the funny parts in Twin Peaks and would love it to be more darker and mind-tuggling like the last episode. Looks like the funny parts are for general audience. (hipster talk but true)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Not sure if true, the funny parts are meant to be part of Lynch's sense of humour as he attempts to parody normal soap operas that are popular around the world. Notice how each episode is a day too, he wants to give the viewers a sense this is just like an everyday soap opera with similar characters crafted, and post of the time his humour works for me too.

OOH! I didn't know this thread existed!
WARNING: "" spoilers below
"I think I was at one episode ater Josie Packard died or somewhere around there and I kind of stopped watching since then. I might pick it up again soon though. I just want more supernatural stuff and want to know more about the black lodge but they won't go into detail about it! If they start talking about the black lodge and the supernatural stuff like that more then I will be more interested."]
Fire walk with me.

Finished here. It's been fun.
@BlueLion, the finale of Twin Peaks really was something special, definitely the best Twin Peaks episode and one of the best TV episodes ever. Season 2 was great during the first few episodes until the murder was solved, the middle episodes were okay'ish and the last few episodes were bloody brilliant imo.

Not sure if true, the funny parts are meant to be part of Lynch's sense of humour as he attempts to parody normal soap operas that are popular around the world. Notice how each episode is a day too, he wants to give the viewers a sense this is just like an everyday soap opera with similar characters crafted, and post of the time his humour works for me too.
Yeah, but I see it as a mismatch. Because let's face it, most of the show consists of melodramatic moments that resemble soap operas. Some of the characters and subplots are pretty lame in comparison with the Black Lodge stuff. And this imo makes the show inconsistent.

Like Minio said, I'd love it to be darker and more surreal. The final episode is so good it's a shame Lynch didn't make a film with this material. I don't even consider the Black Lodge scenes to be TV, to me that's pure cinema.

Lynch could have produced a masterpiece had he removed some of the uninteresting characters and the romantic subplots, and focused solely on Cooper's investigation on the murder and his journey into the Black Lodge. Could have been an epic three hour film if you ask me. But that's just wishful thinking

Watch the prequel, hardly any Cooper, but I think it's great. A lot darker and without comedic elements, focussing more on the Black Lodge and the evil forces at work.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I can't recall if you have, but have you already seen Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me BlueLion? I really like it personally,and It makes me sad that it was hated by the majority when it first came out.

I'm watching the film tonight. Sounds like I'll love it, but it all depends on the execution.