The MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930 Countdown: The List

→ in
Tools    

Nosferatu is fantastic, had it at #3. I think I also voted it pretty high for horror.
Seen: 19/44

I'm fairly confident what won't make the list at this point, I'm going to add those films.
My List:
1. Battleship Potemkin (#9)
3. Nosferatu (#7)
6. Pandora's Box (#18)
7. Un Chien Andalou (#13)
8. It (#27)
10. The Kid (#10)
11. Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge
12. The Doll
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
15. Faust (#15)
16. Ballet Mecanique
17. Sherlock, Jr. (#8)
18. The Cameraman's Revenge
19. He Who Gets Slapped (#23)
20. A Trip to the Moon (#15)
21. Laugh, Clown, Laugh
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
24. Sadie Thompson
25. The Unknown (#28)

When I was a kid I saw an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? based on Nosferatu and it was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen:

I didn't realize it until I started writing this post, but this--Nosferatu coming out of the screen when I was nine--is probably one of the reasons I was so horrified by The Ring so many years later.

Anyway, not much to say about the film itself, except that it rippled through my experiences with horror because of this simple Nickelodeon homage episode.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nosferatu is 4 for me. I liked it even more the second time around. It's a great atmospheric film and I like it better than Nosferatu the Vampur and that one's great too.

Can't believe someone actually based their entire list on Nickelodeon experiences - does explain how the Spongebob movie got an attempted vote though

Look if you haven't walked a mile in my squarepants you just don't know what it's like ok
Boy, them sure is some large pants you got there Boss

Sad thing is Nosferatu was actually mentioned on Spongebob.....don't ask me how I know that.
Busted!!

Not on my list but I did see it.

Nosferatu (F. W. Murnau, 1922)

The oldest surviving vampire film is the classic German silent, Nosferatu. An unauthorized silent film, based very closely on the famous novel by Bram Stroker, Dracula. Bram Stoker's widow filled a legal suit against the makers of Nosferatu, which she won. This resulted in an agreement that all the negatives and prints of the film would be destroyed. And they were all thought destroyed too...except a few prints survived in a couple foreign countries. In 1994 the surviving prints were restored and the film came to life once more.

Nosferatu is an interesting film and I'm glad I watched it. But I found it underwhelming. The story didn't click with me and the film version I watched seemed to be almost pieced together with no transitions between the scenes. I wonder if that's because the surviving prints were incomplete and so had to be pieced together? I noticed for a few seconds the movie was actually showing a negative image of the print. I did learn there's a newly restored version of Nosferatu and I bet the print and the music score is much approved upon.

There's a lot to like in this film: the creature was way cool looking! Great makeup and design. And I loved the creepy, up the staircase, shadow scene...as well as the stop action sequences. Oh and the skeleton clock was cool too!

The unrestored version which I watched was black and white, but I believe the restored version has some single color tinting to it. Overall I liked this film visually.

Oh hai Nosferatu

I mean, shyyeaa I voted for it. #6
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MegansTongue.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	58129  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Sad thing is Nosferatu was actually mentioned on Spongebob.....don't ask me how I know that.
and you know, I actually respect you even more for that lol

Sherlock, Jr. was my #3. So freaking entertaining and fun. Contains some of the best Keaton stunts and is action-packed and super inventive. I had so much fun with it.

I’m embarrassed to say I still haven’t seen Nosferatu. :/

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Had Nosferatu had #9. I remember seeing the restored version at the movie theater in the DIA (Detroit Institute of Art) with a four-piece stringed ensemble back in the late nineties. VERY cool time.

It makes me think of Shadow of the Vampire and how much we enjoy watching our copy of this at the house now and again.

MY LIST: Seen 21 out of 44 (47.72%)
1) The Kid (#10)
2)
3)
4)
5) 3 Bad Men (#30)
6) 7th Heaven (#32)
7) The Phantom of the Opera (#19)
8) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#41)
9) Nosferatu (#7)
10) Sherlock Jr (#8)
11)
12) Pandora's Box (#17)
13) It (#27)
14) A Dog's Life (#39)
15) The Lodger (#20)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
17)
18) HE Who Gets Slapped (#23)
19) Faust (#14)
20)
21)
22) Underworld (#47)
24) The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)

For me The Passion Of Joan Of Arc is a hugely compelling and powerful piece of cinema and it sat proudly atop my ballot in the #1 spot.

Seen: 45/45
My list:
1. La passion de Jeanne d'Arc [The Passion Of Joan Of Arc] (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928) [#6]
3. Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924) [#15]
7. Intolerance - Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (D.W. Griffith, 1916) [#21]
10. Chelovek s kino-apparatum [Man With A Movie Camera] (Dziga Vertov, 1929) [#12]
15. Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage [Faust] (F.W. Murnau, 1926) [#14]
17. Körkarlen [The Phantom Carriage] (Victor Sjöström, 1921) [#18]
18. Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor, 1923) [#11]
19. Häxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922) [#25]
20. Broken Blossoms (D.W. Griffith, 1919) [#34]
25. Helen Of Four Gates (Cecil M. Hepworth, 1920) [1-ptr]

Joan of Arc was No.1 on my list. Just. Amazing

1. The Passion
2. (Man With a Movie Camera
3. (Will Make it)
4.Battleship Potemkin
5. Prince Achmed
6. Un Chien Andalou
7. Safety Last!
8. (Might Make it)
9. (Will Make it)
10. (Nope)
11. (Nope)
12. (Nope)
13. (Nope)
14. (Nope)
15. The Great Train Robbery
16. A Trip to the Moon
17. (Nope)
18. (Nope)
19. (Will Make it)
20. (Nope)
21. (Nope)
22. (Nope)
23. (Nope)

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) was my no.2 and was my favorite film of all-time for a long time. Now i have many favorite films and this is one of them. Maria Falconetti gives a heart wrenching performance as Joan of Arc and Carl Theodor Dreyer may be the best Danish director of all-time. Films like Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud and Vampyr are superbly crafted and cannot be recommended enough, if you are interested in European art film. I had actually hoped this would have been higher on the list, but a 6. place is not a bad spot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Passion is my #13. When it was first restored in the '90s the film played with a live accompaniment of Voices of Light with an orchestra and many singers. My wife and I saw it at the Orange County Performing Arts Center for our anniversary. Spiritual filmmaking and performance by Falconetti.

The Beloved Rogue is my #20.

The Kid Brother is my #17

Seen 45/45
My List
1. Entr'acte
2. The Goat
5. Safety Last!
6. The Adventures of Prince Achmed
7. The Kid
9. Greed
10. 7th Heaven
11. Man With a Movie Camera
13. The Passion of Joan of Arc
15. The Last Command
16. Wings
17. The Kid Brother (Ted Wilde, 1927)
18. Sherlock Jr.
19. The Circus
20. The Beloved Rogue (Alan Crosland, 1927)
22. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (Fred Niblo, 1925)
23. The Great White Silence (Herbert G. Ponting, 1924)

24. Battleship Potemkin
25. The Wind

I had The Passion of Joan of Arc at #5.

From Pre-30s II:

The Passion of Joan of Arc

This was a chillingly modern take on the real life case of Joan of Arc and her eventual death. This movie is not entertaining in any sense, it is a depressing struggle for a brave woman who's faith in God and the Heavens is constantly tried and tested. Boy, does the film really make you hate all those British judges, they were all such douches that I wanted to punch them all by the end. Joan of Arc keeps quiet dignity throughout, and there are simple moments of beauty that are so touching. This is one of the more accessible silent films out there, and one of the better ones I think.

Seen: 20/45

My List:
1. Battleship Potemkin (#9)
3. Nosferatu (#7)
5. The Passion of Joan of Arc (#6)
6. Pandora's Box (#18)
7. Un Chien Andalou (#13)
8. It (#27)
10. The Kid (#10)
11. Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge
12. The Doll
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
15. Faust (#15)
16. Ballet Mecanique
17. Sherlock, Jr. (#8)
18. The Cameraman's Revenge
19. He Who Gets Slapped (#23)
20. A Trip to the Moon (#15)
21. Laugh, Clown, Laugh
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
24. Sadie Thompson
25. The Unknown (#28)