The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I must admit, your write ups have me curious. I've never played an Assassin's Creed game but these stills are getting my attention. I'll start watching some gameplay to see more of what it's like.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked
I must admit, your write ups have me curious. I've never played an Assassin's Creed game but these stills are getting my attention. I'll start watching some gameplay to see more of what it's like.
It is probably the "Least like Assassin's Creed" Assassin's Creed game I have played. It borrows liberally from The Witcher 3 as far as game systems are concerned, as well as Shadow of Mordor.

That said, I am having a blast with it.

It is probably the "Least like Assassin's Creed" Assassin's Creed game I have played. It borrows liberally from The Witcher 3 as far as game systems are concerned, as well as Shadow of Mordor.

That said, I am having a blast with it.
Thanks for clarifying, but I haven't played any of those titles so I have no expectations

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks for clarifying, but I haven't played any of those titles so I have no expectations
I speak of that stuff only is a positive light. As I might have mentioned before, The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games ever, so any game that uses some of the stuff under the hood of that particular hot rod gets two thumbs up from me.

Anyway, if a stealth RPG with a massive open world steeped in Greek myth sounds like your cup of tea, you may like AC:O.

Looks interesting. I've always preferred rogue type classes in the MMOs I play, or snipers in CoD types. This looks fun. Skill trees remind me of World of Warcraft so maybe I'll get into this one next.

On a side note, I watched the League of Legends "eSport" documentary on Netflix yesterday. I never played the game, but that was an inspiring watch if you're into that genre at all.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Excessive keyboard abuse occurring in the VR thread. Here's a tiny bit

GTA VR

Good Thing Bad Thing:

So I've started the campaign again from scratch

It's not without its issues. The duller missions are even more of a grind the third time round, and that's only just balanced out by the new immersion. But the main payback is arriving now in the form of the heist missions. Which are much more varied, and build nicely towards the grandiose set pieces. (The tunnel escape was pretty badass done this way )

One key challenge I'm facing though is the infamous R* walking style. I'm finding I'm getting pretty immune to the actual classic 'smooth' motion itself, which is a great string to have in my VR bow now . (There's that HL2 mod waiting out there after all ). But damn is it eccentric to manoeuvre around still. The weird shoulder sway that kicks in, tilting you 35 degrees off target, really does not help in getting where you want to be. I did not, for example, mean to be here while casing a jewellery store...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Outer Worlds news - It's amazing.

If someone had told you of the premise and the team involved, long before release, this is exactly how you'd dream it'd turn out. DNA from the original two Fallout games is strong at Obsidian and it shows here - There's as much on-the-nose cynicism and social commentary as there are genuinely human and emotionally driven characters, all rolled up in a sci-fi package that, while not in the canonical late '40s style of a Fallout, is pleasingly distinct and analogue.

Character speccing options - Myriad. If you can't find a build to suit a playstyle or role-play choice here, you're not really interested in the medium.

Quest design - Comprehensive. Multiple ways of completing quests, and none of them feel designed in a box-ticking 'well, a Tech character can do part 3 in a certain way, while 1, 2 and 4 are common to all classes' way. In other words, your choice of skill levelling matters beyond where you'd expect. Charisma, for example, can effect combat with enemies sometimes cowering at your no doubt epic burns. Other skills matter in dialogue, not just speech, which is a thing that New Vegas did well.

Gameplay - It's a first person RPG with a slowdown mechanic. It works fine and certainly no worse than, say Fallout 4's combat. In fact, I prefer Obsidian's mechanic to VATS in some situations, especially once it's specced up a bit.

Looks - Colourful. Gaudy even. I'm into it.

Writing - Best I've seen in a mainstream RPG since, well, since New Vegas.

Performance - Oops. I've played the game on Xbox One S and PC now (thanks, Microsoft's Game Pass Ultimate!) and textures on the base Xbox are a bit muddy with noticeable slowdown in large firefights. The PC performance is especially disappointing as I'm getting stutters every few metres when exploring the world, something my PC should not have problems with. It's not an isolated complaint either, so I'm holding out for a patch soon. There's also no save game sharing between the console and PC versions on Game Pass, something not unexpected but when you see the ease with which Microsoft's in-studio games do this you appreciate how handy it is.

8.5/10

Honestly, I think Bethesda should now stick to Elder Scrolls stuff. The difference between their approach and Obsidian's is stark.

This seems fun....

Façade, a 2005 Windows freebie using additional synthetic voicing to respond to text inputs. You seemingly observe and poke at a couple's fractious relationship (with some rogue-ish variables underpinning their set up varying each time round). Peculiar!

The Adventure Starts Here!
This seems fun....

Façade, a 2005 Windows freebie using additional synthetic voicing to respond to text inputs. You seemingly observe and poke at a couple's fractious relationship (with some rogue-ish variables underpinning their set up varying each time round). Peculiar!

Downloading it now.

Man. I need to reconnect my ps4 tonight to see if there's anything going on, sale-wise. I'm getting interested in Sedai's attention to Odyssey so maybe that's floating around somewhere for me to add to my stack of untouched titles =\

I tried Facade awhile ago. It wasn't as impressive as I was hoping, but I admire the attempt.

Re: Steam sale. Yeah, just got The Email. The one that tells me 19 games on my wishlist are on sale.

I've gotten good at not pouncing at this, though, mostly because I've got so many games "saved up" already.

I tried Facade awhile ago. It wasn't as impressive as I was hoping, but I admire the attempt.

Re: Steam sale. Yeah, just got The Email. The one that tells me 19 games on my wishlist are on sale.

I've gotten good at not pouncing at this, though, mostly because I've got so many games "saved up" already.
I'm really good and denying myself those sales. But some were CRAZY CHEAP and had been on my wishlist for a WHILE. I had 25 items on sale (and only 52 on the whole wishlist). I managed to restrain myself enough to buy only four... but they only added up to thirty bucks for all four. I'm okay with that. When a game is 80% off, I figure I'm not going to see it much cheaper than that.

I dipped my toe in all four last night... and liked them all... and was up till 4 a.m.

Yeah, if a game I'm even slightly interested gets down to $3 or cheaper I'll likely just buy it without much thought, at this point. $5-10 I'll think about it a bit.

More and more my standards rise, though. Back in the day if I knew I was gonna want a game and it got down to $15-20 from $40 or more, I'd basically buy it out of reflex, but after a few instances where I did that and still hadn't played it by the time an even better sale came along, I tightened up a little. Now I mostly hold off unless I'm pretty sure I'll play it very soon.

Just played through it twice -- once as a male, once as a female. Tried to interject more outrageous comments to spark different outcomes, but I clearly noticed how cleverly they've woven in responses that could follow almost ANYTHING you type without sounding out of place. And aside from the gender switch, the outcomes were the same.

It was probably more groundbreaking 14 years ago.

Just played through it twice -- once as a male, once as a female. Tried to interject more outrageous comments to spark different outcomes, but I clearly noticed how cleverly they've woven in responses that could follow almost ANYTHING you type without sounding out of place. And aside from the gender switch, the outcomes were the same.

It was probably more groundbreaking 14 years ago.
Apparently there are various outcomes, but not sure how subtle the steering is. (Going by some vids just agreeing constantly with the man will get the woman to leave him...)

Anybody played the Luigis Mansion series? I'm tempted to buy the 3rd one that just came out, but they have never drew me in like other platform-type games...

Apparently there are various outcomes, but not sure how subtle the steering is. (Going by some vids just agreeing constantly with the man will get the woman to leave him...)
I played as a man first and tried to flirt with his wife and get him mad. Eventually she gets peeved about something else in their relationship and leaves.

I then played as a woman and flirted with her husband to get her mad. Eventually HE gets peeved about something in their relationship and leaves.

Not what I expected, but often after I typed a line of dialogue, their responses didn't quite line up with what I'd said. Playing it the second time really pointed out that flaw.

What makes it work, though, is that the dialogue is very carefully written and spoken so that many of their responses start with spluttering or some vague thing like "What?" or "Oh..." Then they segue into the rest of their response. It was clear in both playthroughs that you walk into this already-in-progress tiff between them and you can't pull them out of it. I MIGHT try to undo that, but not soon. Might wait till I've forgotten some of the dialogue that showed up in both playthroughs.

Right now I'm hooked on one of my sale games, West of Loathing, which is delightful and hilarious.

I am now Trevor. I woke up in a vineyard, and ended up on this bike...

Wound up cycling all the way back to my shack in the badlands. The views were pretty grand

(Any coyotes that died during this process were extremely careless)

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Oh tatty. Those Death Stranding reviews.