Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Cold Pursuit (2019)

Generic and dumb but thankfully entertaining. Also thankful for Liam Neeson being in it otherwise it wouldn't have been worth the time. Him and Denzel seem to be in a lot of these movies and I don't know why.

Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction (2012) Sophie Huber

The life of the probably best character actor ever. Love you. We are nothing.
I was watching him last night in Escape from New York, and this is very interesting to see as I hadn't heard about it. Fitting that Donald Pleasence should be in Escape with him as he's one of our (UK's) best character actors.

Him and Denzel seem to be in a lot of these movies and I don't know why.
I love him in The Equalizer films .

Destroyer (2018)

Pretty interesting tale of a female undercover cop who infiltrated a gang that carried out bank jobs years before. There are signs that the gang (or the leader at least) are back on the scene and maybe targeting her for old times sake or for her split of their last fateful job.

Good performances and, while not particularly original, watch-able and kept me interested.

Derailed [2005]

Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston star in this thriller about a man who meets a woman on the commute to work. They decide to cheat on their partners and stay at a hotel, but they begin being blackmailed for money when someone discovers their passionate encounter. Scared that their infidelity will be discovered, they give into the blackmailers and things start spiralling out of control.

This film was a standard thriller. I thought the plot was predictable, but it zipped along at a good pace and held my attention. I would award it 3 stars out of 5.

Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (Lucius Henderson, 1912)

Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (John S. Robertson, 1920)

Both quite beastly in places (with the feature having added spider )

“I was cured, all right!”
Signs (2002) [M. Night Shyamalan] - ★★★★★
The Sixth Sense (1999) [M. Night Shyamalan] - ★★★★
Manchester by the Sea (2016) [Kenneth Lonergan] - ★★★★
Magnum Force (1973) [Ted Post] - ★★★
Gran Torino (2008) [Clint Eastwood] - ★★★★
The Grapes of Wrath (1940) [John Ford] - ★★★★★
The Rock (1996) [Michael 'BOOM' Bay] - ★★★
Near Dark (1987) [Kathryn Bigelow] - ★
Blood Simple (1984) [Coen Brothers] - ★★★
Payback: Straight Up (2006) [Brian Helgeland] - ★★★★
^ There's a directors cut of Payback (1999), I just readed about this cut last friday, I really like the original, even with all of the flaws and I'm not a big fan of the third act, this cut changes the entire third act, and the atmosphere is more sober, more darker (even without the "almost" black & white palet of the original - this is the only thing I whish was in this version). For the fans of the original I really recomend give this a try, it's oblique and anticlimax! I loved even more!

Near Dark (1987) [Kathryn Bigelow] - ★
Wow. WTF happened here? I know not everyone can or will like everything, but that's a hell of a rating for what I think of as a fantastic film. Of course, I'm used to that, but this is something which I know a lot of far more respected cinephiles on this site like, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it?

Weekend re-watches:

The perfect contemporary horror film

My first re-watch since Prince's death. Albert Magnoli's stylish, music video direction almost makes you not notice how corny and cliched the screenplay is and I also love that Magnoli didn't try to turn Prince into an actor, he just showed us the electrifying artist that he was.

Maybe the best cop/buddy movie ever made that deservedly made a star out of Mel Gibson.

“I was cured, all right!”
Wow. WTF happened here? I know not everyone can or will like everything, but that's a hell of a rating for what I think of as a fantastic film. Of course, I'm used to that, but this is something which I know a lot of far more respected cinephiles on this site like, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it?

I didn't liked the acting, story and characters. The film has some interesting scenes (like that one in the bar) but I just think it was very boring for the entire run. They take some liberties in the vampire mitology, thats cool, and the desert scenario was different, but I really think this film has nothing good to add to the "vampire" films at all. All the fights are very boring with some strange edit; some characters dies in very stupid way (I know it's just for fun, but I don't dig it), even the violence was boring (sorry, I know all you guys like this film). This film has a very big cult following, and I can see why, I just don't like of pratcly nothing in this, I know I'm the minority here, but I not even liked the over the top moments! Maybe a rewatch will be a good thing (like it was for John Carpenter's Vampires) but for now, this is it.

I Give It A Year (Dan Mazer, 2013)

I give it very little chance of ever being watched by me again

Neds (2010)

I've reviewed this harshly before, wanting more from Mullan. I've changed my tune, I watched in the right mood and saw the development of the protagonists. Conor McCarron is so much better the 2nd time around. Alot rings true as it should (even though I'd be only about 5 at the time the film is set). Where I lived we had the "Peg" and the "Jito". Constant battles.

Mullan has captured this perfectly.

Re-evaluation: