Poll: What is the Pretty Woman of guy flicks?

Tools    

The title pretty much explains it all.

What classical guy flick is the male equivalent of Pretty Woman?

Answer MUST be one of the following, do NOT add your own choice. Failure to do so will result in immediate revocation of forum membership----unless, of course, you have a good "other" choice I haven't thought of.

1. The Outlaw Josey Wales
2. True Romance
3. Die Hard
4. das Boot
5. RoboCop
6. Predator
7. Aliens
8. John Carpenter's The Thing
9. Tombstone
10. The Magnificent Seven
11. The Seven Samurai
12. The Wild Bunch
13. Cool Hand Luke
14. The Road Warrior
15. Dirty Harry
16. Deliverance
17. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
18. The Hunt For Red October
19. Jeremiah Johnson
20. other: any science-fiction movie that doesn't have a romantic sub-plot

I hereby nominate The Outlaw Josey Wales as the ultimate guy flick, for all of the obvious reasons.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Rocky?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Is True Romance not a romance film and Aliens has a heroine so surely they aren't guy flicks?

I'd say, from that list, Die Hard even though that has a romantic subplot.

Other films i'd nominate are Escape From New York, Platoon, Conan The Barbarian, Dead Man's Shoes, The Spy Who Loved Me, Easy Rider, Fight Club, Point Break, The Godfather, Hard Boiled, Lethal Weapon, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Leon, Desperado, Reservoir Dogs.

2001 a space odessy??
Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by nebbit
Can pretty woman vote?

Absolutely! I say vote Nebs!

After all....if a man can hold up Pretty Woman as the standard of what he thinks the ultimate woman's flick is (which is a movie I wouldn't have choosen...but I understand why he chose it)...
....then a woman should be able to vote on what we interpret to be the equivalent guy flick. Besides....it will keep things interesting.

From the list, I vote....

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...with...
Dirty Harry in second place.

Also...
I'll add one of my husband's favorite guy flicks...

Groundhog Day
Sorry Karl...I couldn't resist throwing something else into the mix.

what's a "guy flick"? mindless action films which implies that men are dumb, have no taste in films and preffer not to be emotionally involved when watching a film?
Why yes, that's pretty much what it is. Keep in mind that a chick-flick is a movie that a guy does not want to see. So it stands to reason that a guy flick is a movie a girl doesn't wish to see.

It's all about escapism. We are not necessarily talking about cinematic art here; but rather what types of movies entertain men, and which ones entertain women.

I actually think that sci-fi movies are the at the top of the list for guy flicks, since most women truly hate science fiction. (At least the ones I've known/dated.)

I think True Romance is a movie only guys really appreciate, because of its loudness and color and attitude, despite the fact that there is a romance coursing through the film.

Randomly visiting for now
I vote for Die Hard and Tombstone, and also I reckon it's going to give a more ballanced result if females can vote but they have to say which is the ultimate guys movie, not which one they personally like......because that would actually be giving negative points to that movie, which could work too....

Originally Posted by Karl Childers
but rather what types of movies entertain men, and which ones entertain women.
And you picked pretty woman as a film that entertains women?

I am now confused about my gender...

Why yes, that's pretty much what it is. Keep in mind that a chick-flick is a movie that a guy does not want to see. So it stands to reason that a guy flick is a movie a girl doesn't wish to see.

It's all about escapism. We are not necessarily talking about cinematic art here; but rather what types of movies entertain men, and which ones entertain women.

I actually think that sci-fi movies are the at the top of the list for guy flicks, since most women truly hate science fiction. (At least the ones I've known/dated.)

I think True Romance is a movie only guys really appreciate, because of its loudness and color and attitude, despite the fact that there is a romance coursing through the film.
i must not be a guy then, cos i enjoy all sorts of films, romantic and action films included....

DePalma's Scarface is a piece of crap, as a "guy movie" or by any other criteria.

I reject the whole premise of "guy movie" and "chick flick", but for the sake of the thread I'll say....

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
DePalma's Scarface is a piece of crap, as a "guy movie" or by any other criteria.
I didn't say it wasn't.

A system of cells interlinked
It's funny, but I can;t think of a woman that I know that doesn;t like Sci-Fi... My mother loves sci-fi and was the person that got me into it as a kid, my girlfriend loves sci-fi and her favorite show is Battlestar Galactica...

I just asked three women here at work, and they all like sci-fi and fantasy films...

I am not saying all women like sci-fi, but sci-fi is certainly not just for guys. Yeah, I don't recognize any film as for guys or girls...Hell, Amelie is one of my favorite movies...

But, for the sake of the thread...

The Road Warrior - No female lead to speak off (no, the feather haired girl with the bows doesn't count), chaps in leather ummm chaps all over the place, and Mel looks like he got run over by the truck full of dirt. I have seen women physically repelled by the film, as if it had some sort of estrogen shield attached to the dvd...

I wanted to say The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, but my girlfriend likes that movie, so I didn't

If the criteria is "movies that women hate," my wife hated Conan the Barbarian and Excalibur. She also hated Amadeus but that's a little different. I no longer drag her to movies that I want to see. It isn't worth the snoring.

Actually, some of the most enjoyable movies I've seen recently were with my wife. Some of them chick flicks. Shop Girl, The Family Stone, Walk the Line and Brokeback Mountain.

And I liked Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts' smile and laugh alone was worth the price of admission. I'd say something like Steel Magnolias is more of the ultimate chick flick than Pretty Woman.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Ophelia
And you picked pretty woman as a film that entertains women?

I am now confused about my gender...
I'm still tryiing to determine if my gender is singular or plural.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
I'm still tryiing to determine if my gender is singular or plural.
When unsure just aim for the middle...

(how many of you is there..)

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Ophelia

(how many of you is there..)
I talk to my shelves.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Die Hard is a good one.

Where's Fight Club or From Dusk Till Dawn

Suspect's Reviews