John Carter of Mars (2012)

Tools    

I didn't see another thread on this one. I have high hopes for it, as a fan of the original books.

Director Andrew Stanton and Disney attempt to do for Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series what Peter Jackson and New Line did for JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings - film the unfilmable.

Cast:
Taylor Kitsch as John Carter
Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris
Willem Dafoe as Tars Tarkas

(Joe Jusko art based on the original books)

Really excited for this as well.
This is supposed to be animated, right?

I also enjoyed the low budget Asylum Pictures' Princess of Mars (starring Antonio Sabata Jr.) it was fun.

Have you seen the Max Fleischer short demo animation of John Carter, it should be on youtube somewhere.. I wish it could have been made.

This is live action. Stanton is "on loan" from Pixar to Disney for this. Of course, there will be a ton of CGI, much like Avatar, so I maybe it could be considered "animated" for the most part.

I have seen the demo animation. It's kind of odd that no one ever accomplished an animated John Carter. The new film will be out in time for the 100th anniversary of the original book. Even Lord of the Rings didn't have to wait that long.

I have yet to see Asylum's Princess of Mars, but I admit, I am curious to see it. I anticipate a 2012 re-release of the DVD billed as "The Original John Carter Movie!"

Bluray Collector!
Been excited about this one since I first hear about it, could be very good.

Looks promising.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
the 1st Trailer has been unveiled

&feature=player_embedded

I'm really surprised and somewhat worried as a result. that Disney has chosen to release it through the main studio and not a subsidiary like Touchstone or heck Marvel for that matter.

John Carpenter + Willem Dafoe should = Awesome unless the studio meddles and neuters him.

I really really hope this doesnt turn into Sci-fi Conan for the kiddies. I mean really, why bother hiring JC if you don't let him do what he does best.

I'm not really that wowed by the trailer, honestly. Hopefully it'll catch my attention more once more trailers start to come out for it.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I just watched the Trailer and was blown away that it's something done by Disney, but the movie deffinatly looks like something I would like to see.

John Carpenter + Willem Dafoe should = Awesome unless the studio meddles and neuters him.

I really really hope this doesnt turn into Sci-fi Conan for the kiddies. I mean really, why bother hiring JC if you don't let him do what he does best.

I think you got a little mixed up there, John Carpenter made Ghosts of Mars, but he isn't involved in John Carter.

Am I the only one who found the trailer badly edited... or is it what people find intriguing nowadays.

Just like the machine sounds from the Transformers teasers get people to **** in their pants.

Either way, I will be watching this film anyway.. Only hoping the second trailer/teaser is better than this.

Initially the trailer didn't wow me, but it didn't worry me either. Subsequent viewings have made me like it better. I hope they don't screw it up. I've seen two kinds of complainers online - those of the "boobs & blood" variety complaining because the people have clothes on and that there won't be enough gory violence, and those of the "rip-off" variety claiming this is stealing from things like Avatar, Star Wars, He-Man, Prince of Persia, Conan, Stargate, etc., etc.

Personally, if they stick close to the story of the novel (written way before anything they're accused of copying), I'll be happy. The costumes are not far off from what I envisioned reading the books (I know the books say they don't wear clothes, but I still pictured He-Man and Slave Leia type outfits). I like that I will probably be able to share this with my kids (the original novels are considered "children's liturature," after all). The story is the important thing. As long as they got that right, this should be awesome.

is he supposed to be that skinny???

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I think you got a little mixed up there, John Carpenter made Ghosts of Mars, but he isn't involved in John Carter.
oh well, my bad. This is gonna suck hard.

Semper Fooey
That looks horrible.

They actually going to release that?

Yeah... I have never really been a fan when Disney get's their hands on anything. It seems like the have a tendancy to over-commercialize things, and they take a lot of license with many aspects of original stories. At least in MHO.

I'm still looking forward to this. Early Twitter activity for John Carter (hate that they took "of Mars" out of the title) has been really positive. Here is a great fan-made trailer that director Andrew Stanton himself has praised for it's selling of the film. Far better than the official trailers.

Am I the only one who thinks that fan trailer is nothing special, especially the ill fitting music towards the end... I prefer the first official trailer that came out that Dexter posted, far superior.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I went for advanced screening of the movie. Its really good with good performances