Poll: What is the Pretty Woman of guy flicks?

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Ophelia
Ophelia thinks she better stay cool, calm, collected, bite her lip and walk out of this thread.
"neither productive nor dignifying..."

Originally Posted by Karl Childers
I understand that. I also enjoy all types of movies. But that does not preclude the fact that something can be labeled as a "guy flick" based on cultural stereotypes as they apply to a particular genre. And we are talking about something as simple as genres since typical chick flicks are romantic comedies and typcial guy flicks would be actioners, sci-fi, or horror-- or sub-sets of those genres.

I'm not trying to marginalize your diversity in taste, I'm merely asking you to acknowledge something and try to apply your choices to it.
I understand, but i think your definition of a guy flick dates back to the 80's ( Die hard type of films ). Now, i'm not your typical macho dude, that's why i really can't be objective and apply the cultural stereotypes , but let's say my brother is, his ultimate film would be either Lord of the rings or The Matrix. And judging by the response of his neandrathal friends, Lord of the rings pretty much caters to every one of their macho stereotypes ( personifying with fearless warriors that get the prettiest girl , loyalty to the authoritative figure at the cost of ones own life , readiness to die fighting for a greater cause and so on ).
So yeah, Lord of the rings thrilogy=ultimate guy flick of the new millenium.

Since you asked for the male equivalent of "Pretty Woman", then it's "Rocky". The story of a person that goes from nothing to something.

If you want the Ultimate Guy Movie, then that's another topic.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
You mess with this guy and you'll get the horns because Scarface is a piece of fan-boy poop.

I would have to guess that it's got guns and babes. Maybe James Bomd movies. Its got the guns, the cars, the explosions, the babes, and alcohol. It's everything I ever wanted in life. I'm not a real big fan of those movies but as far as criteria, I'd say Jame's Bond has them. Whatever.
We all ready had this conversation.

Good VS Entertaining

Karl Childers question was, "What classical guy flick is the male equivalent of Pretty Woman?"

The male equivalent of a crappy chick flick is a crappy guy flick.

Originally Posted by Loner
Karl Childers question was, "What classical guy flick is the male equivalent of Pretty Woman?"

The male equivalent of a crappy chick flick is a crappy guy flick.
This is where I hit the snag: I don't think Pretty Woman is a totally crappy "chick flick". Compared to the countless imitators that have followed in the past fifteen years, I don't mind Pretty Woman at all. Not my favorite movie or anything, not by a longshot, but I'll watch it over Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde or America's Sweethearts or Miss Congeniality every single time.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
This is where I hit the snag: I don't think Pretty Woman is a totally crappy "chick flick". Compared to the countless imitators that have followed in the past fifteen years, I don't mind Pretty Woman at all. Not my favorite movie or anything, not by a longshot, but I'll watch it over Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde or America's Sweethearts or Miss Congeniality every single time.
I'll buy that.

So Dirty Dancing equals Scarface.

Karl Childers, if I had to pick from the original list it would be Tombstone, because it's the worst movie on the list.

P.S. I want all you Holdenites to note that Holden Pike may have watched a "chick flick" more than once.

What would Sam Peckinpah think?

Originally Posted by Loner
P.S. I want all you Holdenites to note that Holden Pike may have watched a "chick flick" more than once.

What would Sam Peckinpah think?
Well I started by saying I reject the entire underlying premise of separating "guy flicks" from "chick flicks", that there are only good movies and bad movies to me. But yes, I've seen Pretty Woman more than once. Probably more like six or seven times beginning to end. I've seen When Harry Met Sally... probably fifty or sixty times in its entirety. I've seen Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia probably three dozen times. I've seen Casablanca well over a hundred times, easy.

And I'm sure Sam Peckinpah wouldn't give two damns about any of those things. Besides, he'd be too drunk to remember it five minutes after you told him.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Ok, gender related stereotyping aside, I'd say the male equivalent of Pretty Woman would be Boondock Saints. It has a similarly other-worldly Velveteen Rabbit transformation, characters with thier own sense of morality and who find 'themselves' at the end.

Whatever. Most dudes just want some kick ass guy who we think represents us that goes around blowing crap up while banging hot chicks.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Whatever. Most dudes just want some kick ass guy who we think represents us that goes around blowing crap up while banging hot chicks.
I'm starting to think this is a rumor perpetuated by smart guys who think it will make them more attractive (as non-neanderthals) to women.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I'm starting to think this is a rumor perpetuated by smart guys who think it will make them more attractive (as non-neanderthals) to women.
Could be... but, I'd appreciate it if you kept those comments to yourself so that I might be able to fool the others. Did I say fool? I meant lie to.

Could be... but, I'd appreciate it if you kept those comments to yourself so that I might be able to fool the others. Did I say fool? I meant lie to.
Wow, I appreciate your honesty.
That's so rare among men, these days.
<cough>

Can't Buy Me Love is kind of like the same concept of Pretty Woman but a guy being transformed.

I know the topic says no romance, but I just wanted to throw this in.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Wow, I appreciate your honesty.
That's so rare among men, these days.
<cough>

My Own Private Idaho
That's sort of a wierd chickish' flick as far as emotional things go.

To me when a film is called a chic fic, what is actually meant is that it's a &#£% movie.

And for the question.... If your looking for an male equivalent to Pretty Woman (which I don't like), how about the appalling Porky's ( another rubbish movie from which I will probably never recover from after seeing). Cheap laughs, cheap sex, brain melter.

Happy Together, Law Of Desire, Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert.

Jokin'.. btw, i always hated both chick flick and "hunk" flicks.

(i love the movies i mentioned, they have a bit of man and woman)

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Tbj
(i love the movies i mentioned, they have a bit of man and woman)
Just like in my undies...

sometimes I feel like my only friend...