Most thought provoking movies

Tools    

Donnie Darko --because I had to figure out what the hell was going on and then I thought about why I even bothered

I really thought PI made me think alot. I liked it!

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

I am having a nervous breakdance
Yeah, you can count on Pi.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

District B13
I used to think Wes Anderson did some thought provoking movies until I realized that I was just being pretentious.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand

District B13
I really want to see the woodsman. I doubt anything will ever top M for that subject matter, however.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
I really want to see the woodsman. I doubt anything will ever top M for that subject matter, however.
Yeah...I really recommend it...Kevin Bacon is an absoulutely superb actor...

District B13
You mean it gets better than Wild Things!?

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
You mean it gets better than Wild Things!?
yes. It is quite dramatic.

District B13
Wasn't the shower scene dramatic?

I'm not old, you're just 12.

The japs bombed pearl harbor, committed genocide on the Chinese, and conducted disastrous torture experiments on POWS. However, this movie shows that they too, experienced hurt, that they too were human beings, and that those that which we would consider innocent paid a price.
Yeah, it humanized them, but not enough to make you not refer to them as "Japs," apparently.

I liked Grave of the Fireflies. That said I can't imagine myself ever wanting to watch it again. I was hit so hard by the ending, I was sad for days. Brilliant movie, one of the best animated films ever made, and it redefines what kinds of stories can be told in the medium, but I can't bear to watch it again.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

District B13
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Yeah, it humanized them, but not enough to make you not refer to them as "Japs," apparently.
My point was that exactly. I called them Japs because it was a final denial on my part to accept that these people are human beings. I said Japs as I said people who committed genocide, both are bad things to say, and the fact that I said them was meaning to show that I had a changed outlook on them. I do not refer to the Japanese as Japs, I was just using that term as an example of my previous stand and the translation to my new stand. Although I've never used the term in my entire life.
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
I liked Grave of the Fireflies. That said I can't imagine myself ever wanting to watch it again. I was hit so hard by the ending, I was sad for days. Brilliant movie, one of the best animated films ever made, and it redefines what kinds of stories can be told in the medium, but I can't bear to watch it again.
I've only watched it twice, but both times I was driven to tears and thinking. It's one of those movies I want to share with my friends and family and future wife and children. I completely understand you not wanting to see it again immediately, but once every 5 years or so and it softens my heart. You should try the same.

For God's sake don't watch "signs"
The matrix sequels. The first I haven't so many thoughts but the second, specially in the architects part I thought almost all the time:
-...huh?
-What the...
-What is this supposed to mean?
-uuuhhh...ookay....
-If someone is inside my mind and could translate what he said please, do it.

And in the third movie (which I thought would explain it all):

-Uh...Neo is a superhero outside the matrix too?
-Wait...maybe Zion is also a computer program and the humans are inside the matrix yet.
-Uh...source...alright.
-Oh no...the movie tries to explain that the oracle actress changed by giving a vague answer?
-Please! May god's will be that the wachowsky have an extra explaining all the trilogy in the DVD.
-Uh...So it all was a plan from the oracle and the architect to destroy smith and Neo gave his life for nothing, but if the Zion is also computer program theory is correct, then Neo is just a software too, and the humans never had a resistance against the machines...but then...the oracle pretends to be good and is at the side of the machines...Of course she's a computer program too! But Neo is one too so why he helped the humans? Uh...maybe he don't knew so thought he was helping the humans but he was in fact saving the matrix then...the machines...and the matrix...Oh what the hell! I give up.
My avatar is the evil doctor whom tried to test if his dumbness potion he put in the water had worked. So he created a movie to defy the inteligence of the most lesser minded human beings he decided to call this movie "signs".

Just a girl who loves movies
Pay it Forward - world could be a better place if we helped 3 people and they would help other people in return .. the end shows us that we do have a lot to work on this

La Vitta e Bella - doesn't take huge muscles and a machine gun to be a true hero .. in the end we're all heroes when it comes to our family

Mother at 16 - seen it recently - all the problems a girl could face after having a baby at such tender age ... not too many options .. and they are all so hard to chose ...

I am half agony, half hope.
American History X

The Believer

The Minus Man

Closer

Johann von Goethe

Donnie Darko and the first Matrix are the best examples of modern philosophy. What happened with the two sequels is a mystery however

Originally Posted by dojo
Pay it Forward - world could be a better place if we helped 3 people and they would help other people in return ..
this movie was very deep, what started out a simple class project turned movement!!
Empire of the Sun... this movie took my breath away! when I was young I had always thought I wonder if I could truely survive alone. I often found myself thinking these boys looked my age and they were in war! made me cry many times to think that there were people out there hurting so...
Beyond Borders had also hit me, mind you Angelina, is one of my favourite actresses. This movie made it apparent that there are the extravagant dinners that cost how much??? and there are children dying in other countries and many other situations that occure...

I'm a romantic at heart
I'd have to go with Pay It Forward. I think I still think about that movie whenever someone does me a good deed.

Some people i know claim to use drugs for fun, and tell me they can control themselves.. i used to find it quite 'normal', then i saw "Requiem For a Dream" and i thought of the consequences those substances coul have on them.

Drugs are not cool, are not trasgression.. goddman they're just bull s**t

Originally Posted by Tbj
Some people i know claim to use drugs for fun, and tell me they can control themselves.. i used to find it quite 'normal', then i saw "Requiem For a Dream" and i thought of the consequences those substances coul have on them.

Drugs are not cool, are not trasgression.. goddman they're just bull s**t
different strokes for different fokes. some peoples bodies are built to withstand more abuse than others. requiem for a dream shows the darker side of drugs use, specifically heroin. however, i don't find this to be the norm for most people. if you have ever had a serious injury or pain than chances are you have been prescribed pain killers which most have a mixture of opiates/tylenol. heroin is just an opiate in pure form. in the end for heroin addicts its the lifestyle that kills them rather than the drug itself. alcohol withdrawl for instance can literally give you seizures, hallucinations, and kill you. heroin withdrawl though brutal, trainspotting comes to mind, cannot kill you. opiates also have not been shown to cause brain damage unlike booze which most people have witnesses the short term memory loss from a hangover.

im not encouraging drug use but do read between the lines after you see a movie like this.