What's your favorite Japanese movie?

Tools    

My favorite that probably wouldn't land on anyone's top 25 would have to be Miike's Blade of the Immortal--the literal rivers of blood and the dark humor really click with me when I'm in a certain mood.
I don't know if it would end up on my list, but it would definitely be in consideration for me.

Blade Of The Immortal would almost certainly be in my Top 25 Miike films as well.

Early Summer.

I don't know. I'm pretty basic. Tokyo Story or Hausu, possibly. I really enjoy Oshima's films and I think the one of his I like the most is Death by Hanging. Seijun Suzuki is another favorite as a director, but even for just him, it's hard to narrow it down. I feel like I really enjoy Pistol Opera, but Youth of the Beasts is just kinda great energy start to end. But these days I find myself mentally drawn back to the two first entries in the Taisho trilogy a lot, which makes me want to say Zigeneurweissen (sp?).

I've never really clicked with Kurosawa. Need to go back and explore Mizoguchi one day. And just to see more Ozu. Maybe in the context of his other movies Late Spring will seem better, but Tokyo Story stands out to me a lot more.

High and Low 1963 Akira Kurosawa
Throne of Blood 1957 Akira Kurosawa
Lady Snowblood 1973 Toshiya Fujita
Hana-Bi 1997 Takeshi Kitano
The Hidden Fortress 1958 Akira Kurosawa
Samurai Rebellion 1967 Masaki Kobayashi
The Sword of Doom 1966 Kihachi Okamoto

(Shogun Assassin 1980 Robert Houston, Kenji Misumi)
(Tora! Tora! Tora! 1970 Richard Fleischer, Kinji Fukasaku, Toshio Masuda)