Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

In honor of James Caan I'm going to watch Thief (1980)

i have not seen it but the poster looks interesting and i love heist movies

The last film i watched with James Caan was The Gambler (1974)
And i cannot recommend that enough, beyond bleak but brilliant.

I think it may be online for free check it out.

I don’t think that’s the one I was looking for with the poisonous lizards, but seems ok. They seem to be the right lizards, though.

Kind of feels like a comedy to me, but that’s my peculiar sense of humour talking.
“Two pigs for one daughter” is great.

I’ve seen this, I believe, but don’t remember a single scene.

I’ve seen this, I believe, but don’t remember a single scene.
It’s alright, easy on the eye, but not very memorable. I know Jarmusch is capable of brilliance, but for me, nothing comes close to Dead Man & Only Lovers Left Alive. But I love Tilda too, and so does he, so that was one reason to watch this.

Always have a special respect for filmmakers who are also musicians, as I then get a whole new soundtrack to add to my collection with every film.

Always have a special respect for filmmakers who are also musicians, as I then get a whole new soundtrack to add to my collection with every film.
You collect soundtracks? I barely pay attention to them.

You collect soundtracks? I barely pay attention to them.
Yup, I do. I write one thing or another nearly all day (or day & night, very often) and I’ve developed a bizarre sensitivity to everyday noise over the years, almost like misophonia, so I’m in headphones 24/7 to focus/exist, and that means I need a lot of music, and an ever-replenishing supply thereof, too.

Yeah, I did do Thor, Love and Thunder tonight. It was the night for dinner and a movie and we'd seen the other flicks on the block, so, against my better judgement, we saw it. I'm glad that my judgement is still intact. At least dinner was good.

I'll take a quote from Google - "Thor embarks on a journey unlike anything he's ever faced -- a quest for inner peace. However, his retirement gets interrupted by Gorr the God Butcher, a galactic killer who seeks the extinction of the gods."

Yeah, that's it. Some of us might recall that Thor is a Nordic god, but the Greek Zeus shows up there too. We have a couple of magic hammers, a magic thunderbolt and some magic swords, so you know that the animators had a busy time on this flick.

A bunch of God-Kids have been kidnapped and don't have much of a future, so the adult gods have to get in lots of fights with various villains. Don't expect much in the way of Nordic metaphysics but it's kind of a fun thrill ride. It's loud, fast and doesn't demand much that will distract you from your popcorn.

Always had a lot of respect for Jeremy Saulnier. I’ve obviously seen this before, but recollections vague enough for it to be very enjoyable.
Many didn't enjoy this film, I really did. It's subtle in meaning, it doesn't tell much, and somehow people don't like that, not just nowadays but in the recent centuries.

I still believe the only reason Parasite (2019) won at the Oscars was mainly due to the director's press conferences explaining what the film meant, and the meaning resonated as a political stance with a lot of people.

29th Hall of Fame

The Greatest film about cultural differences between Europe and America that was ever made in my opinion. Without Bruno S. this film couldn't be done, to this day Werner Herzog says he was the best actor he ever worked with. There are many things that I find funny on the human level:
  • Bruno was a forklift operator in a German factory. He used to sing outside, like in the film, no one liked him or his music, people ignored him.
  • In Cannes he was arrested, he was singing outside, and they thought he was some homeless guy, so they arrested him, and he never made it to the premier.
  • After the film he went back to the factory he used to work and the people that looked away, that didn't see him, started to take an interest in him.