Peaky Blinders

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I may have spoken too soon: the last couple of episodes were a lot more compelling than, well, almost everything else in the series. I wish I remembered past seasons better, because I think all the events being referenced are calling back to things we actually saw, and if so that's an awfully nice way to give the world a sense of continuity and consequence. Very eager to see how this one turns out.
It took me too long to remember who Changretta was (the old man they'd killed) that started the vendetta. Once I did it definitely had a continuing sense of purpose to this season.

But eeek, that Adrien Brody Marlon Brando stereotype accent really needed to go. It started to feel like a caricature after a while.

General thing I noticed because I binged four seasons in about a week: Whenever they want to lend a sense of grittiness to a scene, they have everybody walk past some serious flaming smelting operation in long dark coats, in slow motion.

Agreed on both critiques Brody's performance and the music video style slo-mo walking scenes.
Sadly they did it again twice in the first episode of season 5, but overall it's still a great show.

Agreed on both critiques Brody's performance and the music video style slo-mo walking scenes.
Sadly they did it again twice in the first episode of season 5, but overall it's still a great show.
Where are you getting season 5? I thought it was coming out in early October? BBC?

And YES, music video style! That's precisely what it is. Nice!

BTW, I thought Brody's acting was fine. He was a chilling, scary character in many ways. But that stuffed-cotton-in-my-mouth Brando Don Corleone knockoff speech pattern was just wrong. Felt almost like a parody.

Also, as for the ending of season 4:

WARNING: "Last episode of s. 4" spoilers below
I'm going to miss Tom Hardy's Solomons character.

I answered my own question: Yeah, the Brits got the first episodes this past weekend. We in the U.S. need to wait till October 4 on Netflix. Pleh.

Also, as for the ending of season 4:

WARNING: "Last episode of s. 4" spoilers below
I'm going to miss Tom Hardy's Solomons character.
WARNING: "Last episode S4" spoilers below
Same here, but a great and worthy final scene, I think the dog also added some extra drama.

I answered my own question: Yeah, the Brits got the first episodes this past weekend. We in the U.S. need to wait till October 4 on Netflix. Pleh.
The up-side is you cab binge it, over here just one a week.

Okay, we Americans got season 5 all at once on Friday. I finished it last night. Definitely still binge-worthy, and still gritty, and still with lots of twists and turns. I was afraid they'd spend weird amounts of time with Tommy in the House of Commons, but they wove that development in nicely.

Now I already want the next season.

Are you Brits finished with it? (It's six episodes long.)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I said I was done with Peaky Blinders around the third time they
WARNING: "Peaky Blinders" spoilers below
killed off a character only to go "surprise! it was just fake after all!"
. While it's always very well shot and acted, the storylines have been going downhill and the characters becoming less likable.

But that said I will probably watch the final series for completeness.

I said I was done with Peaky Blinders around the third time they
WARNING: "Peaky Blinders" spoilers below
killed off a character only to go "surprise! it was just fake after all!"
. While it's always very well shot and acted, the storylines have been going downhill and the characters becoming less likable.

But that said I will probably watch the final series for completeness.
I haven't watched it since the first season. It got too violent and graphic for my tastes. Did it ever back off a little in that regard?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I haven't watched it since the first season. It got too violent and graphic for my tastes. Did it ever back off a little in that regard?
No, I think it only increased in that regard.

No, I think it only increased in that regard.
'Preciate the heads-up. And that's about what I suspected. I'm a little surprised at the violence from BBC. That's more like HBO fare...