The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've yet to make it through "Momento" after a few tries. Never heard of "In the Mood for Love".

This is my third countdown and each has their share of surprises and disappointments. Already looking forward to the next one.

Pippen (Raul) vs. Ewing (Thief)

Nailed it.
Are you under the impression that I'm trying to "block" you in some way?

i've been slow to get to other Wong Kar-wai films because I disliked Chungking Express and fell asleep through one of his other films. forgot Memento was a 2000's movie. wouldn't have voted for it, i saw it once in class and forgot it soon after.

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #12, In the Mood for Love...

It currently has a 91% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.1/10 score on IMDb (with 141,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★ and said:
"The movie is physically lush. The deep colors of film noir saturate the scenes: Reds, yellows, browns, deep shadows. One scene opens with only a coil of cigarette smoke, and then reveals its characters. In the hallway outside the two apartments, the camera slides back and forth, emphasizing not their nearness but that there are two apartments, not one."
Meanwhile Gilbert Adair, of Independent on Sunday, said:
"The problem with In the Mood for Love is that its imagery has far too many face-cards and not enough twos and fives and eights, which, boring as they are, nevertheless constitute the indispensable nitty-gritty of narrative."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @CiCi said:
"Every last element of this film was handled perfectly, and I can honestly say that this is the greatest film I have ever seen, regardless of location or genre. It was masterful, and a beautiful piece of cinema that I would classify as a piece of art."
And @cricket said:
"This is supposedly a romance film but there is no heat. I felt no sexual tension or chemistry between the two leads. In fact, I felt more passion between the cheating spouses when they aren't even seen. I was left with the feeling that the two faithful spouses were not consummating their relationship on moral grounds. I thought this was sort of bogus, especially since I felt nothing between them as I noted before."

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #11, Memento...

It currently has a 93% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.4/10 score on IMDb (with 1,200,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★ and said:
"Memento is a diabolical and absorbing experience, in which Pearce doggedly plays a low-rent Fugitive who patiently makes maps, jots notes and explains over and over that he has to talk fast because in a few minutes he'll start forgetting the conversation. "
Meanwhile Steven D. Greydanus, of Decent Films Guide, said:
"Intriguing and accomplished as it was, Memento left me unpersuaded that this trip was really necessary."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @TylerDurden99 said:
"This is how a thriller should be; complex, engaging, fascinating and handled by a director who doesn't know how to tell good stories, but great ones."
And @Citizen Rules said:
"I really don't know how to review this as I don't like bloody thriller crime movies, maybe it was well done but it's sure not for me... After an hour I got real tired of the 'I won't remember you bit', it just seemed like the director was milking it instead of exploring it. And the whole mind trip thing that Nolan is known for, I could care less about that. I thought the reasoning at the end of the film for what happened with Guy Pearce felt somewhat inorganic to the rest of the story. I'm not a big fan of Nolan anyway, but this is one film I just didn't care for."

At this point, clues are pretty much useless. As a matter of fact, as has been done in previous countdowns, I'm going to ditch them for the rest of the run.

@Thief - will you be dropping down to just the one reveal per day for the Top 10?

Fun Movie Bashing Part 2

Originally Posted by MovieFan1988
Millennium list vs. Top 100 of the 2000s list Comparison  

44. Finding Nemo >>> Finding Nemo (2003) - Well would you look at that Finding Nemo found itself lol.

29. Toy Story 3 (2010) >>> Let the Right One In (2008) - The right one came in and it ended up with Andy's toys getting brutally massacred by the main lady vampire. She sure didn't have a friend in them toys that's for sure lol.

23. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers >>> Ratatouille (2007) -
Frodo and his buddies beaten by a rat and chefs, what a shame.[/quote]

14. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King >>> Kill Bill Volume 1 (2003) - The bride slays all of the characters from the movie and takes the ring all for herself mwhahahaha

Part 3 10 - 1 coming soon

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The Secret and I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer?

Come on, man. You knew that was a pipe dream.
In hindsight it was probably a mistake to vote for BOTH Jeepers Creepers films. Lesson learned.

@Thief - will you be dropping down to just the one reveal per day for the Top 10?
Yes, that's the plan. From now on, one reveal per day, as is usually done. Final day will have #2 and #1 revealed at the same time for obvious reasons. According to my calculations, that would be January 28.

Wong Kar-Wai's In the Mood for Love did not make the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List, though it was #62 on the original MoFo Top 100 and #34 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films List. Christopher Nolan's breakthrough Memento was #17 on the Millennium list and #35 on the original MoFo Top 100. Neither film made the 2020 edition of the MoFo Top 100. All ten of the eligible films from that recent list will make this countdown.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
At this point, clues are pretty much useless. As a matter of fact, as has been done in previous countdowns, I'm going to ditch them for the rest of the run.
Ah, so you've admitted your defeat to me.

It was a hell of a run by me. I don't know how many I got right, bit certainly the clubhouse leader.

I watched In the Mood for Love for a Hall of Fame, and was quite impressed by it at the time. The visuals and colour were stunning, and I remember it using repetition really well, but it didn't ultimately leave much of an impression on me. Maybe I should rewatch it.

Speaking of rewatches, I've seen Memento a number of times over the years. The more complex narrative structure was interesting the first time I saw it, but when you remove the film's gimmick, what remains isn't a particularly compelling story. I do still like the film overall, just not as much as I did when it was new.

Seen: 57/90

My List:
02. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - #15
05. The Lives of Others (2006) - #41
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
09. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #20
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
12. Memories of Murder (2003) - #27
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
17. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #30
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

In the Mood For Love is a gorgeous movie and I respect it, but there wasn’t even enough room for all the 2000s movies I love.

Memento is the one Nolan movie I seriously considered but there just wasn’t room for it.

12. In the Mood for Love (351 points) - My #1. A simply sumptuous film. Beautifully shot by Christopher Doyle. So tender. Probably Wong Kar Wai's best film. Just amazing. I could watch it on repeat all day long.

11. Memento (366 points) - Pretty good film but not in my 25.

Ah, so you've admitted your defeat to me.

It was a hell of a run by me. I don't know how many I got right, bit certainly the clubhouse leader.
The only thing you've defeated is my patience. If I ever consider doing one of these again, your name will surely headline the list of cons.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yes, that's the plan. From now on, one reveal per day, as is usually done. Final day will have #2 and #1 revealed at the same time for obvious reasons. According to my calculations, that would be January 28.
So you're saying Jan 28 is a hint for the #2 and #1 spots? Remember, remember, January 28'er.... wait. V was FIFTY-eight. I think someone has a spreadsheet miscalculation somewhere.

hmmmmmmmm.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked
I've yet to make it through "Momento" after a few tries. Never heard of "In the Mood for Love".
Run, don't walk, to see this.

Meanwhile, this was the big mistake I made on my list. While shuffling films on and off, I somehow deleted this, and then managed to not get it back on the list before I submitted my final ballot. I had it up around #11 or so at one point, and I can't figure out how I managed to leave it off,. I am a jack ass, is the only explanation.

I mean, I only have this...

...hanging above my desk at work. But I somehow manage to include something like The Hurt Locker on my list, but not In the Mood for Love. Terrible.

I watched Memento again after the countdown started, and yep, that probably should have made my list, as well. Oh well. I can change it all up in 10 years...