Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

1/10. No sleazy enough. Not gory enough. But definitely a whole lot of rubbish!

The World's End (2013)

Topper (1937)

From the laughs list, A fun loving married couple are killed while recklessly driving their sports car. That's not the funniest part though. They become ghosts who can't get into heaven until they commit a good deed. They end up helping their old cranky banker friend Cosmo Topper loosen up a little. Soon he's drinking, getting into trouble, and the chicks dig him. It all ends up helping his marriage to his equally stuffy wife. It's a rather fun movie to watch. Cary Grant plays the lousy driver/dead husband/ghost.

5/10. Just decent. Not very scary at all.

Saw Deadpool 2 at the cinema today. Deadpool is back facing a foe from the future in this entertaining sequel that is just as much fun as the first. Deadpool getting ripped in two by Juggernaut, and then its immediate aftermath, are by far the funniest moments in the film. Fun.*

5.5/10. Decent watch on Prime for a slow Sunday.

5/10. Very slow and not very intriguing.

Den of Thieves (2018)

Kind of like Heat meets The Shield but not nearly as good as either. I enjoyed it more than I'm rating it. It's just that there's a shortage of machismo in movies these days and this gave me something I've been missing. Most of the movie is buildup rather than action, and maybe it's a little long. I'm not a Gerard Butler fan but he's certainly adept at playing an ahole. My wife liked it even more than I did. Strangely enough, we were able to relate to it more than most other movies. Now back to reality and off to do the food shopping like a little bitch.

Welcome to the human race...
Deadpool 2 -

the fact that I'm immediately going to follow this up with a Jarmusch film should tell you everything

Unregistered User

The Sword Of Doom (1966)

Its been a while since I rated a film with full marks but The Sword Of Doom is more than worthy of the accolade. For me this film had absolutely everything and there's not one part of it that I could fault. Its so dark and thought-provoking and although its not the most intricate in terms of plot, its still an exceptional one. Nakadai and Mifune both give impeccable performances, although its hard not to pick out the former as he has the screen time. Despite his character's disturbing and merciless actions, he our anti-hero, who just seems to descend into madness, with some really impressive swordplay. Visually, I thought it was stunning. It would be easy to pick the early forest scene but really, you could pause the film anytime and you would be left a gorgeously shot scene. The ending was so different to what I expected and I imagine it still does draw some negative responses but not from me. The perfect end to a perfect film. A new favourite.

Ai no mukidashi [Love Exposure] (Sion Sono, 2008)
+
A right load of knickers really

Battle of the Sexes (2017)

Just about what one would expect from this kind of movie: it's sort of fun, sort of OK and a whole lot of: movie making by the numbers.

I try to watch newer films, and the really well made American/Hollywood films are few and far between....At least of the films I've been watching from 2017. I haven't really seen anything from last year that really impressed me as sublime film making. I suppose in case of a comedy like Battle of the Sexes one shouldn't expect much.

I did find Steve Carell to be hilarious as the outrageous Bobby Riggs. The scene where he checks into a gamblers anonymous meeting and proceeds to tell everyone that there that don't have a gambling problem! they just suck at it!..and need to learn to gamble better, was hilarious! I actually laughed out loud at the whole scene.

I guess Emma Stone was fine as Billie Jean King, a bit stoic, then again the real Billie Jean was probably a bit stoic too.

Well not a bad way to spend 2 hours, I guess.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	bs-2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	44642