Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Inferno

This movie is like the other 2 already created (The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons) which is not a bad thing but nothing new here. I know they had the books as source material but I read they changed a few things from the book. The acting was solid and Tom Hanks is always so watchable, Felicity Jones was also very good. The whole movie I was trying to think where I have seen her before and then walking out of the cinema I saw i poster for Rogue One and it all clicked. The rest of the cast was solid however parts of the story at the beginning was hard to watch for me as it jumped from Hanks' visions and who was working for who. Anyways it was a solid film and I would rewatch.

3/5 Stars

Nerve

I enjoyed the concept of this movie but I like The Purge original movie it was used correctly. The story is a bit slow moving at first but picked up about half way through. I find it is strange that this game "Nerve" is supposed to be a secret and should not be told to authorities however every man and his dog is watching. Also I was unsure who pays for the players to do the dares and who makes the dares. Both actors are ok but nothing memorable, it seems like Dave Franco is in more movies that his brother these days. There was just too much that was not explained it fell flat in the end. It is probably worth a watch once and forget about it after.

2/5 Stars

The Neon Demon (2016)

Refn crafts a terrifying myth, drawing sustenance from such sources as the Greek Harpies and Countess Elizabeth Báthory. Dead simple. Universal. Masterwork.

http://boxd.it/bH79f
I agree. This movie will stand the test of time. In 20 years people will still rave on about it as Refn's masterpiece. It's brilliant.

WARNING: "The Neon Demon" spoilers below
A friend recently said to me ........"Do you think that maybe when she got the knife stuck in her throat by Keanu Reeves, she was actually murdered by him? And the next scene is her detached from reality listening to her own murder in the next room, with the rest of the movie being a metaphor for her either being in purgatory or being an entire dream sequence of the events that led up to her death?"

I was blown away by this off the cuff theory. It may not be correct. But the fact that it could be is what makes this movie so good.

Joy (2015)

This movie received a lot of varying reviews, both here and all around media in general. I loved it myself. I have yet to see all of Jennifer Lawrence's films but I thought she did a great job here, going through the ups and downs of her real-life character's attempt to get her invention marketed. The supporting cast is good, with Robert De Niro, Edgar Ramirez, Virginia Madsen, Isabella Rossellini, Elisabeth Röhm, and Bradley Cooper all doing fine jobs. But the only one that really stands out for me is Diane Ladd as Lawrence's grandmother, who is her main champion, believing in her talents from an early age. But make no mistake, it's Lawrence's movie all the way. My favorite scene involves her confronting a crooked businessman in a hotel room. I could watch this one again soon very easily.

Ghosts on the Loose (1943)

I'm a fan of The Bowery Boys, also known in their long career as The Dead End Kids, and the East Side Kids. I've been watching many of their movies lately, including two they made with Bela Lugosi. This is the best of the two. The two main stars were always Leo Gorcey as their leader who used wrong words continually while the others thought him smart, and Huntz Hall as the goofball who was always accidentally making genius inventions or gaining some special power. This movie has them, along with about half-a-dozen other East Side Kids, attending the wedding of Glimpy's (Hall) sister, played by a very young and beautiful Ava Gardner. The first half has them taking part in the preparation for the wedding, with the second half dealing with them going out to the country to clean up Ava and husband's honeymoon house. They mistakenly go the "haunted house" next door and bump into nasty Nazi's, led by Lugosi. Lots of laughs in this, one of their best flicks. They cranked out a ton of these things and they're hit-and-miss but always distracting at least, providing a few chuckles here and there. As most of them are barely over an hour, it's not really time wasted.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Joy (2015)

This movie received a lot of varying reviews, both here and all around media in general. I loved it myself. I have yet to see all of Jennifer Lawrence's films but I thought she did a great job here, going through the ups and downs of her real-life character's attempt to get her invention marketed. The supporting cast is good, with Robert De Niro, Edgar Ramirez, Virginia Madsen, Isabella Rossellini, Elisabeth Röhm, and Bradley Cooper all doing fine jobs. But the only one that really stands out for me is Diane Ladd as Lawrence's grandmother, who is her main champion, believing in her talents from an early age. But make no mistake, it's Lawrence's movie all the way. My favorite scene involves her confronting a crooked businessman in a hotel room. I could watch this one again soon very easily.

“I was cured, all right!”

6/10
Mel Gibson is back... At least this is the only good thing about this movie!

05/10
Disappointed.
It's not a bad movie but for Park Chan-wook is a weak movie!

Julieta- Almodovar

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Heinlein

The Infiltrator (2016)

-

A crime film set in the 80's and based on a true story suits my taste perfectly. It's well made and the performances are solid, especially from Bryan Cranston. I was entertained, but there was nothing great about it, and I'll just remember it as a good movie.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Glad you liked it, Cricket.

Tarsem Singh is a little spotty on the overall quality of his films but they all look incredible and that's what I love most about The Cell. If you have any interest in checking out more from Singh, give The Fall a try. I can't recommend his other work though, aside from R.E.M.'s music video for "Losing My Religion."
I don't see how you can stand Tarsens work.

Come on, some of those are good bad movie points, right?

Race

Many are familiar with Jesse Owens, the track and field athlete who won 4 gold medals at the 1936 summer olympics in Germany and was credited with "single-handedly crushing Hitler's myth of Aryan supremacy",this is his story. Very much liked the young actor playing Jesse Owens, felt like a very natural and watchable actor, Jeremy Irons great as ever as the olympic committee representitive sent to Germany to deal with the Nazis, also a sinister turn from the actor who plays Dr Goebbels... although this at times made it feel like two separate movies that have never met before, your American sports movie meets Das Bunker.. and I didn't want the das bunker parts to end! still I quite enjoyed it
6/10

The Shallows 7.5/10 This was a surprisingly good movie! Blake Lively wasn't half bad either!

Extraction 8/10 Bruce Willis, Kellan Lutz, Gina Carrano....This was a really good movie for those three. Gina Carrano was surprisingly good!

Ghostbusters 1984 8.5/10 This is an all time classic!

Ghostbusters 2 8/10 I liked it but not as good as the first.

Ghostbusters 2016 8.5/10 In my opinion this was a very good movie!

Blood Father 7.5/10 It is nice to see Mel Gibson get his groove back in this new film!

Wendy and Lucy (2008)

WARNING: "nothing important" spoilers below
It's a sad movie

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Riphagen (Netherlands)
Another war time movie based on true events; this time regarding a thief who works both sides of the war. Collecting money/jewelry from running Jews and then reporting them to his Nazi superiors to be sent to camps along with betraying freedom fighters. The lead does an excellent job. A seriously good movie.

Captain America; Civil War
++ Heard a lot of so-so reviews but I did enjoy this.

(REWATCH) Iron Man 3
Knowing how things go made this far more tolerable and actually enjoyable.

Now I just wanna know what's REALLY going on with Pepper's character?

(REWATCH) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (1974)
++ Written/Directed by Gene Wilder with Marty Feldman, Dom DeLuise and the delightful Madeline Kahn. Vaudevillian silliness that Wilder excels at. Not hilarious, but it still made me chuckle at several parts.

Jungle Book
I would easily have gone higher but I had a serious problem when Christopher Walken voicing King Louie broke into "I wanna be like you." The ooo-ooo-ooo's were very cringe-worthy.
The remaining cast was rather spot on. Idris as Shere Kahn was brilliant, Bill Murray as Baloo was a great call; and all the others were superb and the CGI was pretty impressive when it came to animal movement. A rather solid remake into live action.