Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I haven't seen the film so i don't know what you are talking about but where you placed that smiley is so intriguing
*Knew I should have just gone with "Was it Monty Python did it???"

This is the End

James Franco: We're actors! We bring joy to people's lives!
Jay Baruchel: Yeah but we don't do it for free. We get paid handsomely much higher than the average professional.

I am personally not a fan of stoner comedies, or most of the stuff Seth Rogen was in, so to see him and other celebrities take the piss outta themselves was, not just amusing or entertaining, but admirable.

What I am a fan of is meta-humor, and there's a lot of those in here, the self-aware, self-derogatory jokes featuring celebrities making fun of celebrities. For the more savvy among you who follow celebrity news, you might pick up some of the in-jokes here, like how Michael Cera's often described as being "too nice". He would always be this down-to-earth cheerful guy on movie sets, and there were parodies back then where he acted like an a**h***, the total opposite of what he's like. That running gag is featured here in the movie, among other 'memes' or rumors these celebrity would be involved with. Jonah Hill mocked for being the odd man out, the "academy award winning actor" among these stoner comedians was an especially funny gag.

Aside from the humor, there's actually a sort of cathartic feeling that comes with showing how imperfect celebrities might be (even if they're just acting). The drama in the movie emphasized that aspect, showing how they're just people like us goofing around, which was an enlightening side of celebritydom not often explored.

The movie, however, did drag a bit too long with its gags at times, which is the same flaw that's seen in, appropriately enough, stoner comedies. When the wit has died down, the comedians' attempts to keep the laughter going can sometimes feel awkward and stale, like a good joke ruined by its retelling. It doesn't help that the background story to this movie - the apocalypse itself - fills up a significant amount of screentime in the form of filler content. The ending that serves to wrap up said apocalypse plotline was also in danger of creating a lackluster and predictable conclusion for the movie, but I have to say, having Backstreet Boys coming back was not the most terrible way of ending a movie.

Overall, I had a good time, and ironically enough, despite this being a stoner comedy, if this is a Jeremy Jahns review, he would probably give this movie a rating of "It's a good time - no alcohol required."

On a sidenote: There was a fan-theory back then that this was the spiritual sequel to "The Cabin in the Woods", and if you've seen that movie, that theory does make some sense in certain aspects. It's also my official headcanon.

The Corruptor: Really liked this movie 6.5/10
Street Kings 2: 5/10 Ray Liotta is definitely showing his age.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
300 (2006)

King Leonidas of Sparta and his 300 fighters fearlessly battle massive numbers of Persians, circa 480 BC.

I forgot how fantastic this movie is. Highly stylized, it's done up in blacks, greys, yellows and reds, treated like a graphic novel. Visually overwhelming. Lots of flying limbs, heads, spearing, slashing and stabbing and other offensively rude behavior. And also some very intense mutant fighters, as well as the insanely creepy Prince Xerxes of Persia.

What I like about this film is despite the chaos, and mass numbers of enemies etc., the battle scenes are very intimate. The testosterone is tapped fully wide open, and the no -retreat-no-surrender creed of our brave Spartans, coupled with strict military tactics makes this a hugely enjoyable battle film to watch.

In reality, the Spartans have been said to actually extinguish their own culture by being too ornery in this way, and the battle tactics and monsters may not be historically accurate, but hey, poetic license in this case, yes please.

Interesting fact -- Several artifacts (actual swords from the original battle, stamped 480 B.C.), are physically known to exist.

Wonderfully done and highly recommended if you're in the mood for a great battle movie.

4.75 severed heads out of 5

I have to return some videotapes...
The Howling (1981) -

Another great 80's horror film, with a super awesome ending. The transformation was pretty great too.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I read before hand that this film was an adaptation of a novel, which unfortunately really shows. Feels like a lot of details were left out, with the main protagonists just coming to a series of epiphanies in their investigation throughout the whole film, with no real sense of how they got there.

I will say though, the storyline is gripping, the main characters are intriguing and the darkness of the events that unfold is terrifying. Sometimes the gory and gruesome details are glossed over and you seem to not be as appalled as you think you should when retrospectively thinking, but other scenes will have your toes curling and wondering if the actor/actress ever had the guts to watch it back.

7/10 from me.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Johnny Guitar
+

An excellent Western. Alongside Douglas Sirk, Nicholas Ray is one of the few filmmakers I really need to explore.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Cranes Are Flying - 10/10
I never mention cinematography, but this was some great work.
Kalatozov had a great eye for cinematography. Letter Never Sent and Soy Cuba, somehow, are even more beautiful.

The newest ones that I watched was:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- 7/10
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows- 8/10- This one was a big upgrade over the first one! Rocksteady and Bebop were cast great as well!

I would use the popcorn rating but i'm not sure how? If someone could let me know that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!