The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

Tideland
(2005)
Directed by Terry Gilliam
nominated by @pahaK

I tried watching the Tideland, but I turned it off after about 10 minutes because the girl's parents were disgusting. Does it get any better as the movie goes on?

I tried watching the first Lord of the Rings movie three times this weekend, but I keep getting interrupted. Is there something on the second disc that I'm not supposed to see? (I'm already past the scene with the spider, unless there's another spider later in the movie. )

I tried watching the Tideland, but I turned it off after about 10 minutes because the girl's parents were disgusting. Does it get any better as the movie goes on?
WARNING: "Tideland spoilers" spoilers below
Does the parents dying count?

Seriously, I don't know. I like the film from the beginning to the end.

I tried watching the first Lord of the Rings movie three times this weekend, but I keep getting interrupted. Is there something on the second disc that I'm not supposed to see? (I'm already past the scene with the spider, unless there's another spider later in the movie. )
You should be good until Return of the King, where Shelob (the giant spider) makes a prominent appearance. It's fairly brief (for LotR at least haha) and averting your eyes while she's on screen will not cause you to miss anything since the sound will clue you in to what's happening. It'll be pretty clear when she's about to appear, and once the scene is over, she doesn't return.

Just watched Dragonslayer, though I probably won't get anything written about it tonight. My room mate asked if this was some sort of "dragon week", and now I kind of want that to be a thing haha.

Falcor from The Neverending Story was a dragon right? Maybe I'll rewatch that this weekend too.

Tried to watch Fellowship but failed miserably. I really like the films though, it's just my back was killing me yesterday and today and couldn't focus

Warning: does not play well with others

Dragonheart
(1996)
Directed by Rob Cohen
nominated by @edarsenal

I remember seeing this in the theatre and it's just as good now as it was then.

The story of a knight of the old code who was teacher to a young prince. The king died and the prince became injured during a war. The queen, being of the old code, came to the great dragon to save her son's life. Was that life worth saving? The young king was full of greed and wanted to make things better than his father's reign. The teacher became a dragonslayer as he felt that the great dragon corrupted the young king. He came upon a dragon who was the last of his kind and was the one who spared a part of himself to save the young king. The dragon and the dragonslayer with the help of a maiden and monk fight against the corrupt king until the king realizes that his life is linked to the dragon. The only way for the dragon to save the kingdom is to take his own life. The dragonslayer makes a hard choice to kill his friend, the dragon, and save the kingdom. The dragon fades into a star into the great constellation of Draco.

There are many things I really love about this movie - dragons, the myth of King Arthur and Avalon, and yes, astronomy. It was an enjoyable rewatch, for I haven't seen it in over a decade. The end is a heartfelt moment when the dragon fades and becomes part of the night sky. I have no clue why it took me this Hall of Fame to watch it again. I have to say though, I miss the great Pete Postlewaite who plays the monk.

Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?

Dragonheart
(1996)
Directed by Rob Cohen
nominated by @edarsenal

I remember seeing this in the theatre and it's just as good now as it was then.

The story of a knight of the old code who was teacher to a young prince. The king died and the prince became injured during a war. The queen, being of the old code, came to the great dragon to save her son's life. Was that life worth saving? The young king was full of greed and wanted to make things better than his father's reign. The teacher became a dragonslayer as he felt that the great dragon corrupted the young king. He came upon a dragon who was the last of his kind and was the one who spared a part of himself to save the young king. The dragon and the dragonslayer with the help of a maiden and monk fight against the corrupt king until the king realizes that his life is linked to the dragon. The only way for the dragon to save the kingdom is to take his own life. The dragonslayer makes a hard choice to kill his friend, the dragon, and save the kingdom. The dragon fades into a star into the great constellation of Draco.

There are many things I really love about this movie - dragons, the myth of King Arthur and Avalon, and yes, astronomy. It was an enjoyable rewatch, for I haven't seen it in over a decade. The end is a heartfelt moment when the dragon fades and becomes part of the night sky. I have no clue why it took me this Hall of Fame to watch it again. I have to say though, I miss the great Pete Postlewaite who plays the monk.

Awww, yay!!
Really looking forward to my own rewatch of this. I did like three sneak peeks when making my decision to run with it: The Great Battle between Draco and Bowen (Narrated in Verse by the Monk. When Thewliss' (The New King) is gifted by the Dragon Slayers by his mother and I can't remember the third, but it sealed the deal for my choice.
They say: that after people make love there's a kind of melancholia, the petite mort, the little death. Well, I'm here to tell you, after a romantic night with yourself there's a very acute sensation of failed suicide. ~Dylan Moran

Awww, yay!!
Really looking forward to my own rewatch of this. I did like three sneak peeks when making my decision to run with it: The Great Battle between Draco and Bowen (Narrated in Verse by the Monk. When Thewliss' (The New King) is gifted by the Dragon Slayers by his mother and I can't remember the third, but it sealed the deal for my choice.
So it is a rewatch for you?

I had seen this at the theatre and watched it many times on cable/satellite tv and regular tv... but again, its been a very long time.

Hold her to you. She is part of you, as we all are part of each other.

The Dark Crystal
(1982)
Directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz
nominated by @CosmicRunaway

Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. - This is exactly where Jim Henson and the creative art of Brian Froud took the audience back in 1982. I was 15 years old and I did not get to see this in the theatre. My first experience was when it was shown on cable tv.

its the story of two races, the gentle Mystics and the horrendous Skeksis, who were one creature, the UrSkek, before the Crystal of Truth was cracked. A prophecy was foretold of a gelfling who would bring the destruction of the Skeksis rule. As Aughra says "The end of the world or the beginning". Jen, a gelfling raised by the Mystics was sent on the quest to heal the crystal and along the way, he met Kira, another of his own race. Through troubles and turmoil, they make the way to the castle. They run from the Garthim, a spider/crab-like creature who killed their clansmen, SilSkek, the banished Chamberlain, who was greedy enough to try to rule the Skeksis. Jen and Kira learned a lot about themselves and about their almost extinct race. Jen learns that girl gelflings have wings: " Wings? I donít have wings." - to Kira's "Of course not. Youíre a boy!". Kira is captured by the Skeksis and drained of her essence but is saved and helped Jen fulfill his destiny. The prophecy is as told and the Skeksis and Mystics are one.

This film, what can I say, I have watched it dozens of times along with another film by Henson and Froud. I enjoy the storyline, the artwork, the animatronics of the muppets (yes, they are "muppets" like Sesame Street, not puppets). I can sit here and watch the film and quote lines (just like another film I enjoy watching). It was a nice rewatch and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The voice of SilSkek, the Chamberlain, is the same voice as our friendly neighborhood Grover, Frank Oz.